Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - re: Feelings regarding Natural/Braided/Dreaded Ethnic Hairstyles?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

re: Feelings regarding Natural/Braided/Dreaded Ethnic Hairstyles?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
niki View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: re: Feelings regarding Natural/Braided/Dreaded Ethnic Hairstyles?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
I was just wondering what you guys think when you see a black or other ethnic person with their hair "natural"--meaning in either in it's natural unchemically treated state or in braids, dreads, or those tiny locs. I am a black woman who is growing my relaxer out and even after I show people a picture of what it will look like, there's a somewhat negative reaction... not like the people think it won't look good on me, but just-- I don't know. My feeling on it is that maybe they think that my growing out my relaxer will be the first step to me becoming a white folks hating militant, the same way some men (and women) associate short hair on women with anti-men feminist views. What do you think?
niki View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
> I was just wondering what you guys think when you see> a black or other ethnic person with their hair> "natural"--meaning in either in it's natural> unchemically treated state or in braids, dreads, or> those tiny locs. I am a black woman who is growing my> relaxer out and even after I show people a picture of> what it will look like, there's a somewhat negative> reaction... not like the people think it won't look> good on me, but just-- I don't know. My feeling on it> is that maybe they think that my growing out my> relaxer will be the first step to me becoming a white> folks hating militant, the same way some men (and> women) associate short hair on women with anti-men> feminist views. What do you think?
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
I say go for it! I finally reached the point where I'm willing to accept my hair in its natural stage and quit trying to change it -- curl it, tease it, color it, whatever. I just let it lay straight, and it's thanking me for doing so by looking much more healthy! Go with what you want, and what's healthiest for you and your hair. If other people have a problem with it -- and I don't understand the negative reaction -- then let them deal with it.Speaking of which, have you seen the Phillips commercial where there's a party going on and a young man gives a CD he recorded to the DJ? He and a young woman start to dance, and their hair is natural and absolutely gorgeous -- very short with tiny dreds, if I remember correctly. I think that people who go with their natural hair -- whether they be Caucasian, Black, Middle Eastern, Asian, or so forth -- naturally look good!
Dan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
> I was just wondering what you guys think when you see> a black or other ethnic person with their hair> "natural"--meaning in either in it's natural> unchemically treated state or in braids, dreads, or> those tiny locs. I am a black woman who is growing my> relaxer out and even after I show people a picture of> what it will look like, there's a somewhat negative> reaction... not like the people think it won't look> good on me, but just-- I don't know. My feeling on it> is that maybe they think that my growing out my> relaxer will be the first step to me becoming a white> folks hating militant, the same way some men (and> women) associate short hair on women with anti-men> feminist views. What do you think?I love seeing braids of any kind. Dreads remind me of Reggae, Rastafarianism and Bob Marley, and that imagery sets me more at ease than just about anything. What kind of tight asses are you hanging out with? ;)
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
> Hi, Niki!You know my background like others here and all I have to say is stick to your individuality, girl! I know it can be hard in what others reactions or comments can evoke in us as humans, but that's a part of life.I would say that I like natural hairstyles as long as one is well groomed. I have seen some rather mucky braids which should have been redone a long time ago and some dreads which should have been washed on a regular basis. I would say that the style really depends on the person. Some people just look better with certain styles:) Personally, I love to see a nice, thick healthy afro myself. That really gets a smile from me...and yea, the metal guys with the long, long dishwash, blonde hair. Just preferences...I would like to second H. Taylor's comment. I love that CD ad. Those are two goregeous people! Kinda makes you want to express yourself....I wanted to give you something to think about. A friend of mine a while back switched from natural braids to a relaxer. She is one beautiful black woman who is extremely intelligent and quite vocal. When she opted for the relaxer, a lot of her friends, some of whom were white, thought she had changed her views, as well. It's strange how people can make such assumptions based on a hairstyle. MMM.....All the Best,Jade21I was just wondering what you guys think when you see> a black or other ethnic person with their hair> "natural"--meaning in either in it's natural> unchemically treated state or in braids, dreads, or> those tiny locs. I am a black woman who is growing my> relaxer out and even after I show people a picture of> what it will look like, there's a somewhat negative> reaction... not like the people think it won't look> good on me, but just-- I don't know. My feeling on it> is that maybe they think that my growing out my> relaxer will be the first step to me becoming a white> folks hating militant, the same way some men (and> women) associate short hair on women with anti-men> feminist views. What do you think?
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
Very interesting post. Personally, I've always thought of natural styles as better looking than the relaxed styles (they look less forced), and have never associated them with militant aini-white or anti-man veiws. Whoopies Goldberg, Brandy, and that model in the 'Feria' haircolor ads (the one with the very short hair dyed blonde), all have the types of hairstyle which you discribe. They also seem like very mainstream women who are making the most of their hair texture instead of working against it. You could remind the people around you that there was a time in the United States when black men felt obligated to straighten their hair but that eventually the natual style became the norm.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic