Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudeness On Internet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Connie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudeness On Internet
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
I recently sent email to webmasters of three different hair related pages. I did not hear any response back. I waited one week and sent the questions again. Still no reply.This drives me crazy. The rudeness and lack of manners on the Net is horrible. Even a "go to hell" would be better than no response.I know people are busy but when I am writing a site to ask specific things about hair, (or whatever) I would like an answer. I sent 3 emails to the Lipstick page and to this day have never gotten an answer.Am I the only one that has this happen? Is there some way to address this?Thanks for this board.Connie
Dan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
> I recently sent email to webmasters of three different> hair related pages. I did not hear any response back.> I waited one week and sent the questions again. Still> no reply.> This drives me crazy. The rudeness and lack of manners> on the Net is horrible. Even a "go to hell"> would be better than no response.Are you sure about that?:)Happens to me sometimes, too. This board is pretty responsive, but I don't expect infallibility from it.Just wrote a page with a scoop on something. Didn't get an answer, but I'm sure he'll use the scoop! Perhaps your frustrations with these other boards are manifesting themselves in your emails and the result is a "no answer." Perhaps a little more sugar and a little less vinnegar could increase response time and frequency. Also, factually compelling email, I found, tends to get more responses than rants (See below at one of my rants, "Hey, what about us" for proof)Either that, or it may be one of a dozen reasons, one of which you already stated (being busy)Dan
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
>Hi, Connie!I think your experience is typical. I also think that the Internet is no different or worse than say having someone return a business phone call. Most people have had the experience of getting lost in "voice mail hell." Moreover, I think that the vast majority of folks are getting more thoughtless and rude in general. I would say that people in the South (including the Southwest) and Midwest take greater pride in manners and curtesy than the rest of the United States. I am speaking from personal experience only.I think that Hair Boutique is the exception and definitely not the rule. From the beginning, I think people who visited and decided to hang around for a while made it a point to say something if they could help. Some even stated that they could not be of assistance at the time, but would try to check into it.Some boards seem to generate surprisingly fast responses. I would say that I have had excellent experiences with "nutrition and health" oriented boards. Similar to Hair Boutique, people have sent me e-mail messages about places where I might find things, even if they themselves could not help.I have to tell you that I have never received responses from certain businesses when I wanted to purchase products. For example, a skating company responded to my inquiry about some blades I wanted, but never followed up. I simply picked up the telephone and spoke with a shop in my area for product availability. I spoke with the manager about my internet inquiry and he simply apologized and said it had happened before, but was glad that I had called. It seemed like a waste of time and potential money for this company. Why bother to put up a website if you're not going to deal with potential customers?I also wanted to tell you that I deal with a lot of universities for research and research organizations. I remember the rudest man from the California. I left him a note about some information on the website being incorrect. It was simply dated. I asked him if there was anyway I could obtain an updated version. He sent me a note saying the university had more important matters. Once again, I picked up the phone, called a manager, and the manager asked me to send him the e-mails. He apologized and faxed me the information. I don't know what happened to the man who sent me the nasty e-mail.Life can be very frustrating sometimes:)Take care and all the Best,Jade21I recently sent email to webmasters of three different> hair related pages. I did not hear any response back.> I waited one week and sent the questions again. Still> no reply.> This drives me crazy. The rudeness and lack of manners> on the Net is horrible. Even a "go to hell"> would be better than no response.> I know people are busy but when I am writing a site to> ask specific things about hair, (or whatever) I would> like an answer. I sent 3 emails to the Lipstick page> and to this day have never gotten an answer.> Am I the only one that has this happen? Is there some> way to address this?> Thanks for this board.> Connie
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
Hi Connie,Let me on your bandwagon. This also drives me nuts. Maybe because I try (don't always succeed but seriously try) to answer every email that I get I am very aware of this problem.I actually had a similar experience with the Lipstick Page. They won our Silver Hairbrush award. I sent them an email congratulating them and nothing. No response. I sent them a second email. Nothing. I guess they either don't answer email or didn't want the award or who knows.We stopped having contests at Hair Boutique because we would send the gifts and then email asking if the winners received their gifts. The majority of time we would get no response. No thank you, no go to hell, no the presents suck. Nothing.The presents were not returned, so we guess they all got them.In the last contest with RareGems, we sent out three expensive prizes of jewelry.One winner complained because their prize got lost. I personally jumped through hoops to get the prize to this person after it got lost at the Post Office.After taking a lot of time to complain (and not very nicely) after a second replacement gift went out, this person did not answer our emails asking if they received the replacement prize. Also, no thank you. The item was worth several hundred dollars.Jeff and I often would pay for the prizes ourselves. So we stopped doing the contests because of this.So I think there is a different mind set on the Internet. Almost like it is OK to be rude or ignore people and not at least try and make the effort. I guess because the Internet is so anonymous people think that somehow they can act differently than they would in person.I do know that sometimes email gets lost. I have sent email only to get it back as bounced or not returnable. I hate when that happens.I guess the best approach is to try to send another email after the first one is not acknowledged. If the site has a board, try posting there.I totally share in your frustration with this.Thanks for a good topic.Karen> I recently sent email to webmasters of three different> hair related pages. I did not hear any response back.> I waited one week and sent the questions again. Still> no reply.> This drives me crazy. The rudeness and lack of manners> on the Net is horrible. Even a "go to hell"> would be better than no response.> I know people are busy but when I am writing a site to> ask specific things about hair, (or whatever) I would> like an answer. I sent 3 emails to the Lipstick page> and to this day have never gotten an answer.> Am I the only one that has this happen? Is there some> way to address this?> Thanks for this board.> Connie
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Erica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
I got hooked on this hair site about 6 months ago when I was looking for a way to style my hair for my wedding. I was CLUELESS! I can't stress how impressed and much I appreciated the fact that Karen returned my email when I wanted to find hairsyles for my big day. She sent me links to articles & pictures on her site, and it was a tremendous help. Aroudn the same time I had tried various other sites and tried to email to ask for instructions or suggestions, but Karen is the only one who returned my messages.So I've bookmarked this site and the Long Hair web site, and that is the ONLY two hair sites that I'll return to visit. My way of showing disapproval for the nonresponders is to never visit their site again. This goes for any web site--not just hair-related sites.I think it is very irresponsible and narrow minded to post a web site and not expect folks to email you with questions & comments. You can't just throw a web site on the Internet and then forget about it!This is a good topic--thank you for bringing it up!> I recently sent email to webmasters of three different> hair related pages. I did not hear any response back.> I waited one week and sent the questions again. Still> no reply.> This drives me crazy. The rudeness and lack of manners> on the Net is horrible. Even a "go to hell"> would be better than no response.> I know people are busy but when I am writing a site to> ask specific things about hair, (or whatever) I would> like an answer. I sent 3 emails to the Lipstick page> and to this day have never gotten an answer.> Am I the only one that has this happen? Is there some> way to address this?> Thanks for this board.> Connie
Simone.(C) View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simone.(C) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
>Dear Connie,I too am amazed by the amount of rudeness on the Inernet especially hair sites god forbid if you disagree with certain types of Hair Extensions, I was flamed something fierce for telling my extension horror story (even though I said this was mainly due to my hair being so fine- the extensions really damaged my hair beyond repair), so I thought Being a retired Hairdresser I could let people know they are not for everyone, anyway that is why I use this site, it is friendly and we can all help each other!!Best Wishes,Simone. (C).I recently sent email to webmasters of three different> hair related pages. I did not hear any response back.> I waited one week and sent the questions again. Still> no reply.> This drives me crazy. The rudeness and lack of manners> on the Net is horrible. Even a "go to hell"> would be better than no response.> I know people are busy but when I am writing a site to> ask specific things about hair, (or whatever) I would> like an answer. I sent 3 emails to the Lipstick page> and to this day have never gotten an answer.> Am I the only one that has this happen? Is there some> way to address this?> Thanks for this board.> Connie
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:43pm
> Hi Connie,> Let me on your bandwagon. This also drives me nuts.> Maybe because I try (don't always succeed but> seriously try) to answer every email that I get I am> very aware of this problem.> I actually had a similar experience with the Lipstick> Page. They won our Silver Hairbrush award. I sent them> an email congratulating them and nothing. No response.> I sent them a second email. Nothing. I guess they> either don't answer email or didn't want the award or> who knows.> We stopped having contests at Hair Boutique because we> would send the gifts and then email asking if the> winners received their gifts. The majority of time we> would get no response. No thank you, no go to hell, no> the presents suck. Nothing.> The presents were not returned, so we guess they all> got them.> In the last contest with RareGems, we sent out three> expensive prizes of jewelry.> One winner complained because their prize got lost. I> personally jumped through hoops to get the prize to> this person after it got lost at the Post Office.> After taking a lot of time to complain (and not very> nicely) after a second replacement gift went out, this> person did not answer our emails asking if they> received the replacement prize. Also, no thank you.> The item was worth several hundred dollars.> Jeff and I often would pay for the prizes ourselves.> So we stopped doing the contests because of this.> So I think there is a different mind set on the> Internet. Almost like it is OK to be rude or ignore> people and not at least try and make the effort. I> guess because the Internet is so anonymous people> think that somehow they can act differently than they> would in person.> I do know that sometimes email gets lost. I have sent> email only to get it back as bounced or not> returnable. I hate when that happens.> I guess the best approach is to try to send another> email after the first one is not acknowledged. If the> site has a board, try posting there.> I totally share in your frustration with this.> Thanks for a good topic.> KarenTo Karen and Connie;I know just how you feel, it is frustrating to try to help others with their problems and be treated with the "Rodney Dangerfield treatment". This has happened to me a few times on other sites (Most certainly not this one!) and I left them because of the indifference. I thoroughly enjoy sharing with others, my experiences and hope that in some small way I may be able to help a few of them out. To show you the extreme of thanks, I once advertised for models for a long hair perming/makeover session, all services free and a supply of products, for spending an evening for a training class. I did the perm,cut and Shades color and I might add it turned out outstanding. The model loved it as did everyone else, but she harassed me for almost a year, wanting more and more free services as if this was a lifetime deal. Some people have a lot of nerve, and some have none,oh well I will be more selective for models in the future. I thank you for this site and the kind words in the past. william
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic