Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Guys with traditionaly feminine styles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
Personally, I think there are a lot of feminine hairstyles that look good on guys. I think guys who are somewhat femine are more attractive than ultra-masculine guys. I mean, how many women do you see swooning over Arnold what's-his-name (the terminatator guy)? But most guys seem repulsed by the idea of being at all feminine or being called so by their male peers. I say, "what's so bad about guys being feminine?", but most men disagree with this. I think a big reason for the double standard is that there is more homophobia and gender policing amoung men than amoung women. Most guys cling fiercly to their concept of masculinity while most women don't care if someone tells them they look like a boy. And women did not win their privileges easily. Girls in the 60's were sent home from school for wearing pants. Essentially, you just have to remember that you know you look good and ignore what other's say until society catches on and becomes more accepting. One more thing: Jade21 is right that there are still a lot of things about which women are looked down upon including crew cuts, body hair, and facial hair.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
> Hi, Jamie!I have to disagree with you that women with "masculine" hairstyles don't get second looks from people. I know the crew cut well. I live not too far from the Pentagon. I also know a few girls with the cut. They have gotten stares and rude comments galore. In addition, I was with a group of my friends in Georgetown not long ago and the one of the girls had a crew cut and another a modified "fade" with a somewhat "feminine" twist. Some people on the street and in a restaurant called these women dikes. Such ugliness!As far as bobs and other traditional female cuts on males, it's the same. You are something different and people can't always take that. I have known a couple of guys with bobs who had beautiful hair. However, for them, it was merely a transition cut to longer hair. Homophobia is rampant in our society. People make erroneous assumptions and rude comments everyday. Personally, if you like the haircut, keep it:)Bye for now,Jade21P.S. Didn't I drop you a note a while back? Shame on you for not responding:)I would like to know what everyone thinks about guys> that like to wear longer styles that were and mostly> still are considered to be feminine/girls hairstyles.> In todays society where women have crew cuts and> buzzcuts why is a guy still looked down upon for> taking good care of his hair and having it cut and> styled in a more feminine style like a bob with bangs.> I love the bob style and I currently have a bob that> is just below my ears with slight layering and bangs> that reach my eyes. I keep getting looks and stares> from people and get told that I have a girls> hairstyle. It looks great to me and even my stylist> said (honestly) that this bob style was right for my> face shape etc and that she thought that it looked> great. So why is there a double standard in> hairstyles? Girls can wear short masculine styles> without a second look or thought from people, but guys> are bashed for wearing longer, prettier, feminine> styles even though the style fits their features and> looks great. I don't understand, but I love my hair> and I want to grow it into a near shoulder length bob> that I can turn under at the ends, pull back in> accessories and change the style around but I am> hesitant because of what others think. What is a guy> to do?
Jamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
I would like to know what everyone thinks about guys that like to wear longer styles that were and mostly still are considered to be feminine/girls hairstyles. In todays society where women have crew cuts and buzzcuts why is a guy still looked down upon for taking good care of his hair and having it cut and styled in a more feminine style like a bob with bangs. I love the bob style and I currently have a bob that is just below my ears with slight layering and bangs that reach my eyes. I keep getting looks and stares from people and get told that I have a girls hairstyle. It looks great to me and even my stylist said (honestly) that this bob style was right for my face shape etc and that she thought that it looked great. So why is there a double standard in hairstyles? Girls can wear short masculine styles without a second look or thought from people, but guys are bashed for wearing longer, prettier, feminine styles even though the style fits their features and looks great. I don't understand, but I love my hair and I want to grow it into a near shoulder length bob that I can turn under at the ends, pull back in accessories and change the style around but I am hesitant because of what others think. What is a guy to do?
Jamie :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic