Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair & A Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Hair & A Convertible
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
Hi,I had an interesting experience today when I bought a new car. I bought a convertible (I have had a convertible for years & I am hooked on them). A friend drove me to the dealership and he had a non-convertible.When I was taking the test drive the sales person asked me if I could drive a convertible with all my hair. I looked at her funny and explained that I always wear a baseball cap and it works just fine. She seemed embarrased and I did think it was kind of an odd question.Later I was telling a dear friend that I bought a new car and it was a convertible and he asked me a similar question. We also discussed the baseball cap.Later I was talking to a good friend on the phone and she asked me the same dang question. I asked her why that was the first thing people asked me. She said because it just seems that people with really long hair like me would have problems doing things that average haired people wouldn't and it is a curiosity factor.Hmmmm. Well I was not offended. I just thought it was odd that three people in a row asked me about my hair in a convertible. So I guess it really is a curiosity thing like wondering how men with really long beards deal with simple daily chores (Victor are you listening) or how people with hair below their feet get around. I was just at the Diane Witt site earlier and I was wondering if she has problems walking around with all that hair.I used to think when people asked me questions..like how I would deal with my hair in a convertible...that they were being critical of my long hair. Now I realize that it is just that they are curious.I do want to throw in a comment about taking care of long hair. The car salesperson asked me if it took a lot of time to care for my hair. I explained that it doesn't and of course she wanted to know details.Well it really doesn't. I wash it, condition it, towel dry it, pop a barrette or hairstick into the damp hair that I twist into a bun and off I go. I let it air dry and in about 3 hours it is dry and soft and I can take out the hairsticks. No muss, no fuss, no curlers or curling irons or etc.I think people don't realize that really long hair can be as easy to care for as really short hair. I think it is hair in the middle that takes all the time...as jj attested to in one of her posts related to the James thread.Any comments on this?By the way...thank you all for all the great posts. I have to say that this board has become my favorite and I cheat and always read it first. :-)Best wishes,Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
Congrats on your new car, Karen!!!As to the long hair and convertibles. . .I don't understand the point. ANYBODY'S hair will whip around in wind like that if a hat or scarf isn't used, or if the hair isn't pulled back. Of course, really short hair that's gelled or sprayed into oblivion may not be bothered at all. :)I think jj was right about mid-length hair being the most difficult to style. That's one reason as to why I'm growing mine out. . .only a foot to go. Sigh. LOL! But believe me, when it finally is long, I won't give a second thought about climbing into a convertible and going for a ride -- just like now!
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
Hi Karen. People make comments like this to me too, not just about my long hair but about my height (I'm 5'1). I think part of is that people push thmselves to make small talk and looks are an obviouse topic. Sometimes people say the first thing that comes to their mind without really thinking about it.I don't think long hair is always as easy to care of as shorter hair. Some people (like Chinese people for example) have relly healthy hair at any length but some people like me have hair that gets difficult when it gets long (mine is waist length). I spend a lot of time detangling and conditioning my hair now but it is worth it. I trier sleeping in a braid to avoid tangles but then when I unbraid it in has this icky wavy pattern. OK, I'll stop complaining now. I am making a collage of people with beautiful long hair (including you) to encourage myself to keep growing. Diane Witt has gorgeouse hair. Do you think she got regular trims while growing it?I always come hear first too; I don't think its cheating.
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
> Hi Karen. People make comments like this to me too,> not just about my long hair but about my height (I'm> 5'1). I think part of is that people push thmselves to> make small talk and looks are an obviouse topic.> Sometimes people say the first thing that comes to> their mind without really thinking about it.> I don't think long hair is always as easy to care of> as shorter hair. Some people (like Chinese people for> example) have relly healthy hair at any length but> some people like me have hair that gets difficult when> it gets long (mine is waist length). I spend a lot of> time detangling and conditioning my hair now but it is> worth it. I trier sleeping in a braid to avoid tangles> but then when I unbraid it in has this icky wavy> pattern. OK, I'll stop complaining now. I am making a> collage of people with beautiful long hair (including> you) to encourage myself to keep growing. Diane Witt> has gorgeouse hair. Do you think she got regular trims> while growing it?> I always come hear first too; I don't think its> cheating.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
Hi Serena and Karen,I don't consider stopping by the Hair Politics board first as "cheating."I do so myself, too!I don't own a convertible, but have been a passenger in other's, and ifI wear a baseball cap and keep my hair between my back and the seat, itstays in place. But if I don't have a cap... then the shorter re-growthhairs tend to whip around and my hair is a mess by the end of the ride.Looks pretty funny but I smooth it as best I can with my fingers :-)Serena,As you may be aware, my hair is past waist-length, and I spend virtuallyno time detangling my hair (see link below). I have refined my techniqueto the point where it takes me less than one minute post-shower todetangle, where before (about a year ago) it used to take me 15 or sominutes and I was getting increasingly frustrated. And with my technique,I have no more than the usual number of fall-out hairs (meaning no unduetension). If you'd like details, please feel free to e-mail me and askfor more tips and advice on detangling long hair, or any other issuerelated to basic care of long hair.DaveP.S. Your dedication to growing your hair will be rewarded. I promiseyou that you will be glad you did stay strong and go for long.
David M Squires
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
David M Squires
Dave View Drop Down

see link below. if it doesn't work this time, it should behttp://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip033.htmRelated Link:How to Minimize Post-Shampoo Detangling of Long Hair
David M Squires
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
> Hi, Karen!If I am ever in the Dallas area, will you take me for a ride? What color did you get? I bet you look awesome in the care with your beautiful hair.I think people are really curious about very long hair. I don't think the bulk of them are critical or rude, just sort of MMM reactions. I am so glad when people ask a direct question. I have met some nice folks just talking about hair.I have to agree with you that there is a misconception among most people that longer hair takes a very long time to care for. I would say that people who have hair from about ear to barely shoulder length hair have to address their hair much more than the folks in the above or below categories.I wondered if this would be true. Now, I know that it is. It seems like the longer my hair gets, the less I have to fuss with it. Detangling my wet hair was probably the worst problem which I have encountered. As Dave mentioned, once you find a system that works, the rest is just part of your life. I have to say that I am just too lazy to have to deal with running to a salon for weekly or monthly trims which shorter hair can require.If you are cheating, Karen, by checking out this forum first, then so am I:)Take care of yourself and all the best.Bye for now,Jade21> I had an interesting experience today when I bought a> new car. I bought a convertible (I have had a> convertible for years & I am hooked on them). A> friend drove me to the dealership and he had a> non-convertible.> When I was taking the test drive the sales person> asked me if I could drive a convertible with all my> hair. I looked at her funny and explained that I> always wear a baseball cap and it works just fine. She> seemed embarrased and I did think it was kind of an> odd question.> Later I was telling a dear friend that I bought a new> car and it was a convertible and he asked me a similar> question. We also discussed the baseball cap.> Later I was talking to a good friend on the phone and> she asked me the same dang question. I asked her why> that was the first thing people asked me. She said> because it just seems that people with really long> hair like me would have problems doing things that> average haired people wouldn't and it is a curiosity> factor.> Hmmmm. Well I was not offended. I just thought it was> odd that three people in a row asked me about my hair> in a convertible. So I guess it really is a curiosity> thing like wondering how men with really long beards> deal with simple daily chores (Victor are you> listening) or how people with hair below their feet> get around. I was just at the Diane Witt site earlier> and I was wondering if she has problems walking around> with all that hair.> I used to think when people asked me questions..like> how I would deal with my hair in a convertible...that> they were being critical of my long hair. Now I> realize that it is just that they are curious.> I do want to throw in a comment about taking care of> long hair. The car salesperson asked me if it took a> lot of time to care for my hair. I explained that it> doesn't and of course she wanted to know details.> Well it really doesn't. I wash it, condition it, towel> dry it, pop a barrette or hairstick into the damp hair> that I twist into a bun and off I go. I let it air dry> and in about 3 hours it is dry and soft and I can take> out the hairsticks. No muss, no fuss, no curlers or> curling irons or etc.> I think people don't realize that really long hair can> be as easy to care for as really short hair. I think> it is hair in the middle that takes all the time...as> jj attested to in one of her posts related to the> James thread.> Any comments on this?> By the way...thank you all for all the great posts. I> have to say that this board has become my favorite and> I cheat and always read it first. :-)> Best wishes,> Karen
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
Hi Jade 21,Well if you are ever in Dallas and I am still in Dallas I promise to take you for a ride. My new convertible is black. My favorite color for a car. :-)Yes..I agree. I think people are very curious about hair. And yes...I think people when they don't know what to say...may be rude and not really mean to be. But it is still strange.One day Jeff and I were in a grocery store in Garland (burbs of Dallas) shopping and for some reason I turned around and several of the female checkers were pointing at us as we walked by. They looked embarrassed when I turned around. Do you ever get that feeling that people are staring at you?Anyway, one of them mumbled to me, we were just looking at your hair.I agree, people don't understand that taking care of long hair is really pretty easy. If you can figure out a good routine and stick with it.I am glad I am not the only one cheating and hitting HP first. :-)Thanks Jade 21 for a great post.Karen> If I am ever in the Dallas area, will you take me for> a ride? What color did you get? I bet you look awesome> in the care with your beautiful hair.> I think people are really curious about very long> hair. I don't think the bulk of them are critical or> rude, just sort of MMM reactions. I am so glad when> people ask a direct question. I have met some nice> folks just talking about hair.> I have to agree with you that there is a misconception> among most people that longer hair takes a very long> time to care for. I would say that people who have> hair from about ear to barely shoulder length hair> have to address their hair much more than the folks in> the above or below categories.> I wondered if this would be true. Now, I know that it> is. It seems like the longer my hair gets, the less I> have to fuss with it. Detangling my wet hair was> probably the worst problem which I have encountered.> As Dave mentioned, once you find a system that works,> the rest is just part of your life. I have to say that> I am just too lazy to have to deal with running to a> salon for weekly or monthly trims which shorter hair> can require.> If you are cheating, Karen, by checking out this forum> first, then so am I:)> Take care of yourself and all the best.> Bye for now,> Jade21
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
Hi H.By the way...thanks for your great article on the front page of Hair Boutique. You write very well. Thanks for taking the time to share about your hair growing experiences. :-) You will be long enough for convertible whipping hair very soon.Thanks for the congrats on the new car.Yes..I agree. Anyone who is in a convertible with hair...will have it whip around.Best wishes,Karen> Congrats on your new car, Karen!!!> As to the long hair and convertibles. . .I don't> understand the point. ANYBODY'S hair will whip around> in wind like that if a hat or scarf isn't used, or if> the hair isn't pulled back. Of course, really short> hair that's gelled or sprayed into oblivion may not be> bothered at all. :)> I think jj was right about mid-length hair being the> most difficult to style. That's one reason as to why> I'm growing mine out. . .only a foot to go. Sigh. LOL!> But believe me, when it finally is long, I won't give> a second thought about climbing into a convertible and> going for a ride -- just like now!
KAREN View Drop Down

Hi Serena,Thanks for the kind words about including my hair in your collage. I feel very honored.I think it is great that you are doing a collage. I actually started a hair book many years ago and have photos of all the beautiful hair I would see in magazines pasted into it for encouragement. For awhile I have a photo of DebraJo Fondren taped to my refrigerator for encouragement. That woman had some gorgeous hair no matter what.Yes..I know about the braid thing. Except what I have happen can even be worse...I take a shower before I go to bed and if my hair is damp, the next morning...major waves. And it can be a major pain in the you know what.Thanks for sharing about that. I forget sometimes that different types of hair will always behave differently.Thanks for the post.Best wishes,Karen> Hi Karen. People make comments like this to me too,> not just about my long hair but about my height (I'm> 5'1). I think part of is that people push thmselves to> make small talk and looks are an obviouse topic.> Sometimes people say the first thing that comes to> their mind without really thinking about it.> I don't think long hair is always as easy to care of> as shorter hair. Some people (like Chinese people for> example) have relly healthy hair at any length but> some people like me have hair that gets difficult when> it gets long (mine is waist length). I spend a lot of> time detangling and conditioning my hair now but it is> worth it. I trier sleeping in a braid to avoid tangles> but then when I unbraid it in has this icky wavy> pattern. OK, I'll stop complaining now. I am making a> collage of people with beautiful long hair (including> you) to encourage myself to keep growing. Diane Witt> has gorgeouse hair. Do you think she got regular trims> while growing it?> I always come hear first too; I don't think its> cheating.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
> Hi, Karen!Black and silver grey are my favorite colors for cars.Yea, I know that feeling of having eyes on you. Sometimes it's eerie, sometimes just amazing:)I meant to ask you this a while back. On one of my many trips on the DC area Metro, I met two beautiful gentlemen from Austin, Texas. I was simply speechless by their hair. I got on the train and was greeted with a big smile and yes, I blushed big time because these two guys were utterly handsome. All dressed in black-jeans, shirts, hats,and hair to match. One of the guys had hair to the middle of his back, the other had hair to the top of his derriere. Thick, shiny and luscious! They were touring Washington, DC and said that people had been so helpful because they had gotten lost several times. I was also struck by how tall they were-one was about 6'4", the other around 6'6" or so. I'm a tall person myself (5'10"), so I tend to notice.My question is : Are there many men in Texas with such gorgeous hair? I know Jeff wears his hair long, but is he alone?Bye for now,Jade21Hi Jade 21,> Well if you are ever in Dallas and I am still in> Dallas I promise to take you for a ride. My new> convertible is black. My favorite color for a car. :-)> Yes..I agree. I think people are very curious about> hair. And yes...I think people when they don't know> what to say...may be rude and not really mean to be.> But it is still strange.> One day Jeff and I were in a grocery store in Garland> (burbs of Dallas) shopping and for some reason I> turned around and several of the female checkers were> pointing at us as we walked by. They looked> embarrassed when I turned around. Do you ever get that> feeling that people are staring at you?> Anyway, one of them mumbled to me, we were just> looking at your hair.> I agree, people don't understand that taking care of> long hair is really pretty easy. If you can figure out> a good routine and stick with it.> I am glad I am not the only one cheating and hitting> HP first. :-)> Thanks Jade 21 for a great post.> Karen
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
Thankyou Dave. This is a very good articlre which I'm sure will be useful for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic