Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SWM Braided

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dex View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWM Braided
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
I know this is gonna seem kind of strange, but what the hell. I'm a white guy in his early 20's, and for a long time I've wanted get my hair braided with extensions. I've been pulling closer and closer to getting up the courage to do it, but I want to hear what you guys think. I know you guys are gonna be somewhat more liberal because you're already kind of pro-hair if you're on this site, but I want to hear what you truly feel and what you might throw at me (if you truly even care). Bring it on!
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
GO FOR IT! If that's what you want, do it. If anybody has a problem with it, they're dealing with their own insecurities. :)
Don3 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
> I know this is gonna seem kind of strange, but what> the hell. I'm a white guy in his early 20's, and for a> long time I've wanted get my hair braided with> extensions. I've been pulling closer and closer to> getting up the courage to do it, but I want to hear> what you guys think. I know you guys are gonna be> somewhat more liberal because you're already kind of> pro-hair if you're on this site, but I want to hear> what you truly feel and what you might throw at me (if> you truly even care). Bring it on!Enjoy yourself you only live once. If this is something that "you" really want, then go ahead. (no pun intended) :-)But, be prepared for some reactions from the general public.Don3
niki View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
I don't want you to think I'm discouraging this because I think it will look odd, cause I don't care but you do want to consider a few things... How often do you wash your hair? What texture is your hair? Do you know someone who will do the braiding for free/or very low cost? I ask because all these things will determine whether braids are a good idea for you... If you wash your hair too often, the braids won't look good, they'll start to frizz and even come loose... also, if you have silky straight hair, it will be much harder to keep them for any length of time (for instance, if you were to attempt to french braid your hair-- or even just braid a small bit of it, does the braid hold easily or do you need a rubber band to keep it-- and sometimes, for some people THAT doesn't even work!) Finally, most people spend $80-$$$ dollars on their braids depending on the type you get (I have twists and they cost me $175). If you aren't going to be able to keep them for at least a month to eight weeks, then really it's not worth the time and effort (especially since it took 12 hours for me to get my hair braided!). I do think that it's the practical considerations that keep white people from getting their hair braided... let us know what you decide!
Dex View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
I'd like to thank those who have commented and for being positive about it (if only the rest of the world would be so forgiving). As for niki's questions, my hair is extremely straight and silky in texture. But that doesn't phase me, and the only question I have about washing it will be if there is a smell, which should be inhibited by extentions, right? My biggest problem is finding someone to do it at a reasonable cost. One place told me up to $500, but it is something, for some reason I keep feeling compelled to do. With some luck, I hope to get it done maybe, this summer. My personal feelings on why more white people don't get their hair braided may be partially practicality, but also I think as far as society goes, I think it's percieved as more of a cultural thing or something and fear stigma.
niki View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
I don't know what type of braids you want but here in Atlanta, $500 is extremely pricey unless your getting invisible braided extensions (which is just another way of weaving in hair so that it looks like your own hair but longer or styled differently or whatever)... I'd suggest that you go to like a beauty supply store that sells mainly black hair care items and ask if they know anyone who does braids or else stop women who have braided hairstyles and ask who did their braids. It's normally much cheaper to have them done by someone who works from their home rather than in a shop... Also, I've discovered that women from the African continent normally do a better job than Americans (big suprise, right?!? ). You can wash your hair while it's braided, but just not often (I wash mine once a week because otherwise I feel like bugs are running through my hair, but I wash my own hair more often than many black women I know). The idea is to use the same technique that people with really long hair use, basically massage shampoo into your scalp and then letting the suds run through the braids-- but don't agitate it alot. And no, the braided hair does not keep your hair from smelling... (If your ever around someone who never washes their braids, you'll see what I mean!!) Good Luck!
cyndi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyndi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
I say do it. I braid lots of white guys hair and the only disadvantage is that they can't wear it for a long time. however, i have never done it with extensions. you might want to go to cosmeticos and have it done on the computer first just to see what it's gonna look like. but what ever you do, it's your decision and just hav efun with it. you only live once..... unless you believe in re-incarnation
blue
Alan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
> I know this is gonna seem kind of strange, but what> the hell. I'm a white guy in his early 20's, and for a> long time I've wanted get my hair braided with> extensions. I've been pulling closer and closer to> getting up the courage to do it, but I want to hear> what you guys think. I know you guys are gonna be> somewhat more liberal because you're already kind of> pro-hair if you're on this site, but I want to hear> what you truly feel and what you might throw at me (if> you truly even care). Bring it on!I have had braids done several times over the years. I recommend getting the extensions because it will help hold the braids in. My hair is thick and just moderately wavy. Without the extensions it only lasts a week or two. With them you should expect at least a month or more depending on the care you take.Be aware that to keep them looking good you have to be careful. Wearing a net or some such to bed is a must or you will end up with short frizzies sticking out. Also, use some of the products designed for keeping braids shiney. They work well. Washing is a must but you must be careful. Just gently massage a diluted shampoo into the scalp and rinse. Don't rug the braids at all.All in all, I like the style. You will get all sorts of stares, but that is the point isn't it?Alan
Dex View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
Thanks for the response. I am just wondering how would you describe your experience with braids? What was the worst situation or problem you experienced while having them, particullary with other people? I know I shouldn't care what others think, but I'm just curious to what I really should expect if I get it done.Thanks,Dex
Alan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:50pm
I can't say I had any bad experiences. Some friends said, "wow, that's pretty goofy", but they have learned to expect that from me. Lots of stares from people I don't know. Lots of good attention too. All in all, each time has been a good experience.Alan> Thanks for the response. I am just wondering how would> you describe your experience with braids? What was the> worst situation or problem you experienced while> having them, particullary with other people? I know I> shouldn't care what others think, but I'm just curious> to what I really should expect if I get it done.> Thanks,> Dex
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic