Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Makeover = Hair Cuts = WHY?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
shirley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Makeover = Hair Cuts = WHY?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
Why does the fashion world's definition of a makeover always seem to include a major haircut? I was watching a rerun of a popular talkshow the other day and they did all these "beauty makeovers". Most of the women looked better when they started. Also, all of them got haircuts and several lost lots of inches of beautiful hair. Am I missing something? Why does this happen and is there anyway to stop it?
george View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
> Why does the fashion world's definition of a makeover> always seem to include a major haircut?Guess who sponsors these kinds of shows....people whose job it is to cut and style hair! Besides, it is the quickest way to make a noticeably dramatic change in a person's apperance.> I was watching a rerun of a popular talkshow the other day> and they did all these "beauty makeovers". Most of> the women looked better when they started.Well, that is just your opinion. I did not see the show, so I can't say, but I often think that the results of these kinds of things are about 50/50, that is about one-half look better and one-half look worse than when they started.> Also, all of them got haircuts and several lost lots of> inches of beautiful hair. Am I missing something? Why> does this happen and is there anyway to stop it?This presupposes that "losing inches of hair" is always a bad thing, I don't always agree. Also, if the person is consenting and wants the change, why do you feel compelled to stop it???
george flett
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
>> Why does the fashion world's definition of a makeover>> always seem to include a major haircut?>>Guess who sponsors these kinds of shows....people whose job it is to cut and>style hair! Besides, it is the quickest way to make a noticeably dramatic>change in a person's apperance.The whole event is a sales pitch for their "services." And doyou know what? No counterpoint to their opinion and actions isEVER offered.Yes, the resultant change is dramatic, but the idea of makingrapid changes seems overvalued.>> I was watching a rerun of a popular talkshow the other day>> and they did all these "beauty makeovers". Most of>> the women looked better when they started.>>Well, that is just your opinion. I did not see the show, so I can't say, but I often>think that the results of these kinds of things are about 50/50, that is about>one-half look better and one-half look worse than when they started.They also put the victims, oops, I mean "makeover candidates,"in new, "stylish" clothes and change their makeup. IMHO theclothes and makeup are nice and generally improve appearances,but removing lots of hair IMO does not serve to enhance theirappearance. Is not hair considered a beauty asset?>> Also, all of them got haircuts and several lost lots of>> inches of beautiful hair. Am I missing something? Why>> does this happen and is there anyway to stop it?>>This presupposes that "losing inches of hair" is always a bad thing, I don't>always agree. Also, if the person is consenting and wants the change, why do>you feel compelled to stop it???"IMO, 99.9% of the time, removing healthy length does NOT representan improvement. Is there any way to stop it? Maybe, maybe not.It can't hurt to give your dissenting feedback to the producersof these shows. If enough people do so, they may (may) reconsiderthe point of view they choose to be presented on their show.Dave
David M Squires
lj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
>Why does> this happen and is there anyway to stop it?It is a plot by the various right- and left- wing communistic liberal conservatives to deprive the world of long hair. You, yes you can help. Join the guild of Musician/Artist/Hippy/LongHair loving people of America to kill all scissor happy 'stylists' and then to kidnap all long haired women and hold them in a big room that has no cutting implements. Oh, the joy of the concept!!!! It can work. Just send my $5,000,000 in care of 'People for the ethical care of long hair in today's society' Yes, you can help. Long Hair is a terrible thing to waste.(attach many :)'s )LJ (yes, a long-hair who loves long-hair)
george View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
> Yes, the resultant change is dramatic, but the idea of> making rapid changes seems overvalued.It just depends on the individual and the situation. Lots of women cut their hair during a life crisis, lots of other do it just because they are ready for a change or they are just tired of their old style. Sometimes, change is GOOD.> They also put the victims, oops, I mean "makeover> candidates,"These women are there by choice, and have a right to do with their hair what they choose. They are not victims.> but removing lots of hair IMO does not serve to> enhance their appearance.Your opinion, you are entitled to it. Others may believe otherwise.>Is not hair considered a beauty asset?Yes, hair is a beauty asset, probably the single most important...why else do people spend literally billions of dollars each year on styles, products, and colors? BUT,this does NOT mean that making changes is taboo. IMO, keeping the same old, tired, long hair for years and years is not making the most of your "beauty assets". Would you keep on wearing the same style of clothing for years and years?> IMO, 99.9% of the time, removing healthy length does> NOT represent an improvement. Is there any way to stop> it? Maybe, maybe not.Maybe, if you consider forcing your will on others to bean acceptable course of action. Why not just let peopledecide for themselves???
george flett
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
George,I am aware of a number of the reasons women have for cutting their hair.Some may be the result of sound reasoning, others may not (one suchunwise reason being to spite one's self). Sometimes change is good.Sometimes change is bad. Change for change's sake alone, though, isnot fruitful.>> They also put the victims, oops, I mean "makeover candidates,">> These women are there by choice, and have a right to do with> their hair what they choose. They are not victims.Perhaps not directly. But some are victims of coercion, be itsubtle or not-so-subtle pressure from family/friends/colleaguesto cut their hair.Have you ever received such pressure to cut your long hair?I have George, and I know exactly how it feels, and what isgoing on.> BUT, this does NOT mean that making changes is taboo.I agree. Change in general is not taboo.> IMO, keeping the same old, tired, long hair for years and years is> not making the most of your "beauty assets".Your opinion. Some people like change. Others prefer consistency.Different strokes for different folks.> Would you keep on wearing the same style of clothing for years and years?Why, yes I would. I think any number of women would freelystate that suits are very becoming on men of all ages.>> IMO, 99.9% of the time, removing healthy length does>> NOT represent an improvement. Is there any way to stop>> it? Maybe, maybe not.>>Maybe, if you consider forcing your will on others to be>an acceptable course of action. Why not just let people>decide for themselves???Whoever said that those among us who dissent would try to"force our will" onto others? Most people in the "western"world have the freedom to express dissent, which is whatI was suggesting.What I don't understand, George, is why so many peoplewith short hair try to force their short-hair will ontothose with long hair. Perhaps it's because they've beenemboldened by TV shows that "feature" these drasticmakeovers.Dave
David M Squires
george View Drop Down

> Perhaps not directly. But some are victims of coercion,> be it subtle or not-so-subtle pressure from> family/friends/colleagues to cut their hair.Granted that this does take place, but people have to deal with subtle pressures all the time. I still think that calling women "victims" who choose to undergo such a "makeover" on TV is a little extreme.> Have you ever received such pressure to cut your long> hair?Yeah, when I was a kid I used to go to summer camp for a month every summer. I had hair that was pretty much longer than most of the kids. The counselors did not approve. They encouraged the other kids to try to tell me I was a "hippie" and that I needed a haircut. I never did. Of course, that was about 30 years ago!> Why, yes I would. I think any number of women would> freely state that suits are very becoming on men of all> ages.Yeah, but even styles in men's suits changes, and the regular men's suit is the bastion of conservatism. Even so, styles change over the years.I just cannot imagine either a man or a woman having the same hairstyle for decades...there is just something about it that I think is kind of boring. Of course, if that is what they want to do, then it is OK for them!> Whoever said that those among us who dissent would try> to "force our will" onto others? Most people in the> "western" world have the freedom to express dissent,Expressing dissent is great when it directly affects your own person or interests. But, when you start dissenting to what others choose to do to their own person or property, then it becomes coersion.> What I don't understand, George, is why so many people> with short hair try to force their short-hair will> onto those with long hair.Agreed. This is exactly what I meant in the previous paragraph.> Perhaps it's because they've been emboldened by TV shows> that "feature" these drastic makeovers.That is stretching it a little, IMHO.
george flett
Dave View Drop Down

>> Have you ever received such pressure to cut your long hair?>>Yeah, when I was a kid I used to go to summer camp for a month every>summer. I had hair that was pretty much longer than most of the kids. The>counselors did not approve. They encouraged the other kids to try to tell me I>was a "hippie" and that I needed a haircut. I never did. Of course, that was>about 30 years ago!George,I'm sorry to hear that you have been so pressured.The events in your story seem, on one hand and froma detached point of view, unbelievable, and yet I caneasily imagine this type of situation having happened.>> Whoever said that those among us who dissent would try>> to "force our will" onto others? Most people in the>> "western" world have the freedom to express dissent,>> Expressing dissent is great when it directly affects your own person or> interests. But, when you start dissenting to what others choose to do to their> own person or property, then it becomes coersion.The person who has long hair has made a choice to wearit long. So when someone else tells that long-hairedperson to "get a haircut" it can become, as you said,coercive. I think we're in agreement on this.>> Perhaps it's because they've been emboldened by TV shows>> that "feature" these drastic makeovers.>> That is stretching it a little, IMHO.Maybe, maybe not. Since I don't engage in the practiceof telling long-haired people to cut their hair short,I don't know what motivates those that do. Certainlythese shows intend to portray the change in a positiveway, so I wonder if some people find compulsion to "share"that "knowledge" gained with long-haired people in anattempt to "help" them. But this brings us back to ourprevious point about dissent and pressure.Dave
David M Squires
Regina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
Have you also noticed that they always straighten peoples hair? I have yet to have seen a make-over either on tv or in a magazine where a curly head emerged and a curly head in the end. Weird.Regina
wild orhcid salon san luis obispo
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
> Have you also noticed that they always straighten> peoples hair? I have yet to have seen a make-over> either on tv or in a magazine where a curly head> emerged and a curly head in the end. Weird.No kidding, Regina! You would think the stylists would want to make the style as easy to maintain as possible and not go against the natural tendencies. . .but then again, it's really a showcase of their "talents" (a term I use loosely considering some of the makeovers I've seen on TV lately!) and perhaps they believe the more dramatic the makeover, the more people will flock to their salon. Yikes!
Dave View Drop Down

> but then> again, it's really a showcase of their> "talents" (a term I use loosely considering> some of the makeovers I've seen on TV lately!) and> perhaps they believe the more dramatic the makeover,> the more people will flock to their salon. Yikes!Hi H.Taylor,I understand and agree with your perspective on the issue.It is as if the stylists' competition amongst themselves has them takingthe atttitude of "well, MY makeovers are more dramatic than YOURS!" It'sas if the measure of the value of their services is defined by the extentto which the client's appearance can be changed, instead of by "what canI do with what the client HAS to make her look as beautiful as possible?"Were that the case, I should think that the majority of the client's hairwould be allowed to remain attached to the client's head to assist in thebeautification of their client's appearance.Dave
David M Squires
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
> It is as if the stylists' competition amongst> themselves has them taking> the atttitude of "well, MY makeovers are more> dramatic than YOURS!" It's> as if the measure of the value of their services is> defined by the extent> to which the client's appearance can be changed,> instead of by "what can> I do with what the client HAS to make her look as> beautiful as possible?"Absolutely, Dave! I've seen women actually cry over the loss of their hair on some shows, and it really saddens me because it was completely unnecessary. And, to be blunt, the vast majority of the hairstyles given you couldn't PAY me to wear! :)
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
> It is as if the stylists' competition amongst themselves> has them taking the atttitude of "well, MY makeovers are> more dramatic than YOURS!"Yeah, I have seen this kind of thing. Some of the so-called "stylists" are just bums with scissors: no real artistic talent at all, just a desire to keep chopping away...YUCK!> instead of by "what can I do with what the client HAS to> make her look as beautiful as possible?" Were that the> case, I should think that the majority of the client's> hair would be allowed to remain attached to the client's> head to assist in the beautification of their client's> appearance.Well, I have to part with you here: a well-done precison haricut, done with consideration of the person's needs and looks, is often very good it the end outcome.It is just that on these "makeover shows" the desired result is the "dramatic change" for the camera, not an actual precision quality haircut for a client.I just think there is ample room for short hair or a good stylish precision cut, but I don't think that one should use these "makeovers" as examples of why all haircuts are bad inherently.Long does not always equal good, short does not always equal bad.Ciao!
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
>> It is as if the stylists' competition amongst themselves>> has them taking the atttitude of "well, MY makeovers are>> more dramatic than YOURS!">> Yeah, I have seen this kind of thing. Some of the so-called "stylists" are> just bums with scissors: no real artistic talent at all, just a desire to> keep chopping away...YUCK!Hi Lurker,While I appreciate your disgust, I (myself) won't go so far as to insultthe stylists in question. I (myself) wouldn't call them "bums," nor claimthat they have NO artistic talent. On the contrary, I imagine that theyare hard working people, with at least some amount of artistic talent.However... some celebrity stylists seem (to me) to be a bit overlyenamored of their "unique" ability to effect the "best" transformation.>> instead of by "what can I do with what the client HAS to>> make her look as beautiful as possible?" Were that the>> case, I should think that the majority of the client's>> hair would be allowed to remain attached to the client's>> head to assist in the beautification of their client's>> appearance.>> Well, I have to part with you here: a well-done precison haricut, done> with consideration of the person's needs and looks, is often very good> it the end outcome.I agree that a "well-done" precision haircut looks appealing -- and, sucha haircut CAN be given to a head of very long hair, without the need toremove lots of length! It's a matter of "fine-tuning." Otherwise calleda "trim.">I just think there is ample room for short hair or a good stylish precision>cut, but I don't think that one should use these "makeovers" as examples of>why all haircuts are bad inherently.I agree that haircuts are not inherently "bad."There is such a high percentage of women who *already wear* short hair.Why not employ those who already have short hair to demonstrate shorthairstyles?You would think that hairstylists view women with long hair as anopportunity to demonstrate what they can do WITH long hair. It isin this respect that I feel that the vast majority of stylists havetremendously underdeveloped artistic skills.Dave
David M Squires
Mike in TX View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
I have read this thread with interest, but now I'm compelled to make a few comments. For the record, I have been a stylist for quite a few years (more than I care to acknowledge) My styling efforts now are of a part-time nature since my primary career has changed. While my client mix varies, currently more than half of my regular clients have shoulder length or longer hair.I have been often asked to do "makeovers" on various individuals. I generally refer to what I do as a "makeunder".The process begins with a consultation with the person requesting a significant change. If she is a regular client we discuss what she wants to change and why. A newcomer spends much more time with me because I need to know a little about the person and their wants and desires. I also ask about their lifestyle and family. I try to gauge their dexterity with styling tools as well.I believe that any change must comply to the person's time constraints, work situation, styling ability and general personality. A style doesn't work if it can't be replicated the next day by the wearer. After we get to know one another, then we discuss what we will do.If the request is for a major change, I send the client home to think about it for at least a day (no charge for the consultation). The one thing I don't want is a client leaving in tears because she changed her mind in mid stream (when it is too late to stop). I often encourage small changes at first with the promise to do more at no or a reduced cost, if they are unhappy with the small change.If a consultation client returns after the agreed "cooling off" period, I cut the hair the way she desires, and upon which we have agreed, whether it is a little or a lot of change. This method has made the "one time" client fairly rare in my practice.TV Makeovers:TV makeovers are an exercise in making as big a change as possible.The models are presented with no styling done to their hair, no makeup (or in one instance I heard about, unbelievably gaudy makeup), and dressed very poorly.The models return with strikingly different 'do's, perfectly applied makeup and stylish clothes. Although not always happy, the models try to put on a good show. It should be noted that most of the models are solicited for the show (often it's a friend or relative who wrote in to recommend their friend for a makeover). The referring person and the model are usually paid a "talent fee" for appearing on stage. (The fee is currently about $400. per person for speaking appearances.)But the thing I find most appalling is that the hosts of these shows take great pride in waving hanks of shorn hair around on camera.First, that is objectifying a "trophy" which I personally dislike strongly.Second, it takes away from any legitimate efforts that have been made to "beautify" the person.Third, it smacks of cheap, sensationalism ( I can get that by buying a supermarket tabloid, where I know what I'm getting).And, fourth, it cheapens the profession of hairstyling, I don't know of too many good stylists who would be pressured into such cheap theatrics. Although I can think of lots of HACKS, (some very well know and sought after) who thrive on such stuff.Please accept my apologies for the length of this response, I'll get off my soapbox now.Mike
Regina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
A salon by my school was having a show where stylist from all around the area got to show off their stuff. The haircuts were free and color cost only $10 ( $ paid for chemicals). Anyway I went in for a cut and was talked into gettingt some non dramatic highlights. The stylist who was assigned to me was practically pissed that's all I wanted to do and treated me like I was a waste of time.Anyway, this women came in and the stylist who took her totally talked her into doing something drastic. She came in with shoulder length dirty blond hair and left with an Annie Lennox cut and her hair was practically fuschia! The woman didn't look too upset but I think I would have died!
wild orhcid salon san luis obispo
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
> The stylist who was assigned to me was practically> pissed that's all I wanted to do and treated me like I> was a waste of time.Doesn't this drive you nuts?! Ridiculous! I stopped going to a hairdresser who prides himself on being "exclusive" because we was always harping on me to get highlights -- "You'd look so fantastic!" Well, thanks, but I'm not padding his wallet anymore and I happen to think my hair looks better without them!I'm sorry you had to deal with this!> Anyway, this women came in and the stylist who took> her totally talked her into doing something drastic.> She came in with shoulder length dirty blond hair and> left with an Annie Lennox cut and her hair was> practically fuschia! The woman didn't look too upset> but I think I would have died!I agree with you -- I would have flipped! Fuschia?!
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
Mike,Your approach to requested "makeunders" seems very thoughtful andconsiderate. It is good to know that there are at least some stylistswho do exercise restraint. I have known a few women, and known of someother women, who have changed their minds regarding a decision to cutoff their long hair. Every last one of the women I knew were allgrateful later that they hadn't acted on impulse.Re: TV Makeovers, I have noticed the exact same things regardingclothing and makeup -- and lighting as well. These props are used notonly to add to the contrast of the change, but also to try to show theshort haircut in a more positive light than would otherwise be the case.The exact same critique can be applied to magazine makeovers as well.In them, very unkind and derogatory words are used to put down thewoman's hair beforehand, but afterwards they use all sorts of kind andflattering words to describe the haircut.While I am not surprised that fees are offered as a coercive lure toparticipation, the untold message seems to be "sell out your friend."> But the thing I find most appalling is that the hosts of these shows> take great pride in waving hanks of shorn hair around on camera.>> First, that is objectifying a "trophy" which I personally dislike> strongly.Ain't that the truth! I also find this appalling. And it certainlydoesn't show respect for the feelings of the person who has just losttheir hair.> Third, it smacks of cheap, sensationalism ( I can get that by buying> a supermarket tabloid, where I know what I'm getting).And (sadly), cheap sensationalism draws viewers, which pay the bills.Money talks, and beauty walks.> And, fourth, it cheapens the profession of hairstyling, I don't know> of too many good stylists who would be pressured into such cheap> theatrics. Although I can think of lots of HACKS, (some very well> know and sought after) who thrive on such stuff.I've seen a few such "stylists" on TV and (IMHO) their behavior is notvery becoming. I'll leave it at that for now.Thanks for your reply, Mike. I appreciated it.Dave
David M Squires
Dave View Drop Down

> Anyway I went in for a cut and was talked into getting some non> dramatic highlights. The stylist who was assigned to me was> practically pissed that's all I wanted to do and treated me like I> was a waste of time.Regina,What a horrible story! The real tragedy here is that these youngstylists-in-training are either (a) developing an arrogant attituderegarding what they believe their clients "ought" to accept, or (b) arenot having their already-arrogant attitudes checked (eliminated) by theinstructors. These students seem to have too conveniently forgottenthat there is a sensient being attached to the hair, with a mind andfeelings.A very sorry situation.Thanks for sharing your story, Regina.Dave
David M Squires
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
> Hi Lurker,> While I appreciate your disgust, I (myself) won't go> so far as to insult the stylists in question. I (myself)> wouldn't call them "bums," nor claim that they have NO> artistic talent.I guess that I was just venting my disgust with the "end results" that occur when some stylists just get too "scissors happy". My wife was recently the receipent of too many layers from a stylist who just insisted on giving her the "cut du jour", even after my wife took a picture of herself and haircut right after the great cut she got at the Sassoon salon. The last guy just butchered her with too many layers. He is the kind of person that I refered to when I used the word "bum".Obviously, not all stylists are bums; case in point, the stylist at Sassoon in Atlanta that did such an excellent job. He was a true artist, a sculptor in hair!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic