Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mandatory Waiting Period for Extreme Hair Cuts...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mandatory Waiting Period for Extreme Hair Cuts...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mandatory Waiting Period for Extreme Hair Cuts...
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
If we can have mandatory waiting periods for buying a handgun or getting married then we should be able to have a 3 day waiting period for getting more than 1" cut off at a hair salon. There should be a consultation followed by a 3 day cooling off period. Then if someone decides to cut it off that is her choice. If someone goes into the salon for a trim and the stylist wants to cut off more than 1" then she should be required by law to get a signed waiver of responsibility and the client must agree to a 3 day waiting period.That will solve the problem...Jeff.
xoom!
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
> If we can have mandatory waiting periods for buying a> handgun or getting married then we should be able to> have a 3 day waiting period for getting more than> 1" cut off at a hair salon. There should be a> consultation followed by a 3 day cooling off period.> Then if someone decides to cut it off that is her> choice. If someone goes into the salon for a trim and> the stylist wants to cut off more than 1" then> she should be required by law to get a signed waiver> of responsibility and the client must agree to a 3 day> waiting period.> That will solve the problem...> Jeff.Very interesting idea you have . lolDiane
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
> If we can have mandatory waiting periods for buying a> handgun or getting married then we should be able to> have a 3 day waiting period for getting more than> 1" cut off at a hair salon. There should be a> consultation followed by a 3 day cooling off period.I only hope that you are joking. I looked real hard for a "smiley" somewhere in this post, but did not see one.However, your suggestion is so ludicrous, so bizarre, that I just cannot bring myself to believe that you are serious. PLEASE tell me that you are joking!!!> That will solve the problem...Uh, yeah....right.
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
> I only hope that you are joking. I looked real hard> for a "smiley" somewhere in this post, but> did not see one.> However, your suggestion is so ludicrous, so bizarre,> that I just cannot bring myself to believe that you> are serious. PLEASE tell me that you are joking!!!> Uh, yeah....right.Yes, I am mostly kidding...However the point is that whenever someone tries to convince you to do something that weren't considering you should step back and think about it. If its not a life and death situation there is not reason to make a drastic decision quickly.Jeff.
xoom!
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
> If we can have mandatory waiting periods for buying a> handgun or getting married then we should be able to> have a 3 day waiting period for getting more than> 1" cut off at a hair salon. There should be a> consultation followed by a 3 day cooling off period.OK, I still stand by my other post, I still cannot believe that you are serious!Now, how about this: mandatory license to grow your hair long!!! For men, if you want it below the collar, get a license. For women, below the chin, get a license.The longer you want it, the more you pay!!! And the license will be VERY HARD to get: you will have to take about 30 hours of "hair training" before you can get the license. Plus, a mandatory 5 year waiting period!Police will be equipped with electric clippers, and can stop anyone for suspected license violations. The penalty: instantly lose the length that is in violation!!!Or, better yet, clip the violators smooth! THAT will teach them to grow their hair without a license!!!!!That will solve the problem...:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> Yes, I am mostly kidding...> However the point is that whenever someone tries to> convince you to do something that weren't considering> you should step back and think about it.Well, yes. If you are drunk, and someone says "Hey, lets godo some big-time crime!", you ought to think twice.If you are drunk and someone says "Lets cut your hair!",yeah....think twice.> If its not a life and death situation there is not reason> to make a drastic decision quickly.Well, I agree that the person should think it out beforemaking a decision. BUT, the idea of having to sign a form and wait three days is silly! This must be the "joking part", right??Maybe getting a big haircut is like buying a computer: if you keep waiting to make up your mind, you just never will do it!Gosh, sometimes you just have to go with a feeling! I have a LOT of respect for long-haired women who go for the drastic change....it certainly takes a lot of guts to get so much hair cut all at once. If they stylist is good, and the haircut is good, then the end result will probably be good.People should not be afraid of change; change is not always bad. People should be aware of bad stylists, and bad advice. But, sometimes change is GOOD. I personally cannot understand people who have the same old hairstyle for years and years. it is boring, IMHO.But, that is their choice!
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
> Well, yes. If you are drunk, and someone says> "Hey, lets go> do some big-time crime!", you ought to think> twice.> If you are drunk and someone says "Lets cut your> hair!",> yeah....think twice.> Well, I agree that the person should think it out> before> making a decision. BUT, the idea of having to sign a> form and wait three days is silly! This must be the> "joking part", right??The reason why Jeff probably wrote that is because too many women go and cut their hair and then write on these sites saying" oh my God I did something terrible" I cut my hair etc. I have seen this too many times. Have a nice hair day okay.Diane> Maybe getting a big haircut is like buying a computer:> if you keep waiting to make up your mind, you just> never will do it!> Gosh, sometimes you just have to go with a feeling! I> have a LOT of respect for long-haired women who go for> the drastic change....it certainly takes a lot of guts> to get so much hair cut all at once. If they stylist> is good, and the haircut is good, then the end result> will probably be good.> People should not be afraid of change; change is not> always bad. People should be aware of bad stylists,> and bad advice. But, sometimes change is GOOD. I> personally cannot understand people who have the same> old hairstyle for years and years. it is boring, IMHO.> But, that is their choice!
Sammy the Snake View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy the Snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
> The reason why Jeff probably wrote that is because too> many women go and cut their hair and then write on> these sites saying" oh my God I did something> terrible" I cut my hair etc.Well, too bad. It is not like they made a bad decision and it killed someone, or they lost their life savings.Look, bad decisions can give you a disease (sleeping with the wrong person), can get you in jail, or can send your finances into the pits.If a person's only bad choice is that they got a haircut they later regret, then they have very little to be sorry for!I guess that I can understand when the stylist just screws up the cut and it looks bad. BUT, in the case of a woman who wants her hair cut short, and the stylist does exactly what she asked for, then she later "feels bad"....TOO BAD!!!Get a life! Hair will grow back, short hair is just not that bad that everyone should whine they made a bad choice. it will fix itself in time!This is not the Merovingian dynasty, where a person's only worth and right is their long flowing hair. There are lots of other things in life that are much more important than a short haircut that is later regretted.You people need to get a life!!!Sammy
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
Hi, Jeff!I was glad to see a post from you! I hope that you have been well. I try to ask Karen about you when I send some love out to her. Now, maybe your low-profile is heading towards the closet...getting ready to make some NOISE! Much love to you for that...I thought maybe you were kidding, but you know, I wonder how hair stylists would like this. It sure would protect them from a lot of suits.Keep it coming, Jeff......How's the hair growing these days?All the Best,Jade21If we can have mandatory waiting periods for buying a> handgun or getting married then we should be able to> have a 3 day waiting period for getting more than> 1" cut off at a hair salon. There should be a> consultation followed by a 3 day cooling off period.> Then if someone decides to cut it off that is her> choice. If someone goes into the salon for a trim and> the stylist wants to cut off more than 1" then> she should be required by law to get a signed waiver> of responsibility and the client must agree to a 3 day> waiting period.> That will solve the problem...> Jeff.
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
> Hi, Jeff!> I was glad to see a post from you! I hope that you> have been well. I try to ask Karen about you when I> send some love out to her. Now, maybe your low-profile> is heading towards the closet...getting ready to make> some NOISE! Much love to you for that...> I thought maybe you were kidding, but you know, I> wonder how hair stylists would like this. It sure> would protect them from a lot of suits.> Keep it coming, Jeff......> How's the hair growing these days?> All the Best,> Jade21Jade,Thanks for the kind words... I'm actually doing very well lately. I just had gum surgery last friday and this cleared up a long standing infection that I didn't even know I had for probably as much as 10 years. As a result of this all the symptoms of my Fibromyalgia have disappeared. Hopefully with my new found health I can get my hair down to my butt and beyond.As to my post. The point that I was trying to make is that when one makes a major decision such as cutting off large amounts of hair one should give this due consideration. If you walk into a salon for a trim and come away with several inches less hair then you haven't given this due consideration.If you went to a doctor for the first time and he recommends that you have major surgery you would be very stupid to not get a second opinion.Jeff.
xoom!
H.Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H.Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
> You people need to get a life!!!It's a discussion. . .why should anyone "need to get a life" because they debate different points of view?!
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
> If you went to a doctor for the first time and he> recommends that you have major surgery you would be> very stupid to not get a second opinion.I don't think that getting a haircut can be reasonably equated or compared to "major surgery".Yes, it is a BIG deal to get a lot of hair cut off at once. HOWEVER, it is not like having your body laid open in major surgery!OK, I guess that you can say it is a matter of opinion, but think about this:CONSEQUENCES OF A HAIRCUT: it may take a while for you to like your new look, or you may even hate it; it will grow back.CONSEQUENCES OF MAJOR SURGERY: death, infection, being unable to work or even get out of bed for weeks or months; you may never fully recover.I don't think that in the analysis there is much comparison between the two!
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
Not to defend Jeff's analogy, but... how many times have we allheard the oft-told story of the emotional distress left in thewake of a major haircut? Such haircuts requested on a whimfrequently result in this outcome. Such a concept as Jeff hassuggested might help those... but is there a reliable predictorone could use to determine "who is really ready" now, vs thosewho are not?I saw Jeff's original post as largely whimsical, with a hint ofseriousness (which Lurker seemed to take entirely seriously).One other tidbit for thought... is one's emotional health anyless important than one's physical health?Dave
David M Squires
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
> Not to defend Jeff's analogy, but... how many times> have we all heard the oft-told story of the emotional> distress left in the wake of a major haircut?Look, I don't mean to offend anyone, but I just have to attribute this to a minor personality problem with the person who has such "emotional distress" over a haircut.If the person gets a BAD haircut (ie, the stylist just does not do what is wanted, or the person's hair is forcibly cut agaist their will) then I can understand a bit of emotinal angst, but a normal mentally healthy person will get over this fairly quickly.However, if the situation is one where the peson requests a big change, and the stylits does exactly what is requested, and the person later has misgivings...well, just consider it a cheap lesson in life!Again, I stress that no reasonable person can in the final analysis equate a haircut with major surgery.....there is just no real comparison!!!> but is there a reliable predictor one could use to> determine "who is really ready" now, vs those who are not?How about the free choice of adults to make up their own minds? You seem to feel that freedom of choice is best when it comes to a person's choice of hairstyle, so why not just conclude that it is best to let people do what they want?There can certainly be no harm to society that can ever justify something as silly as a "waiting period" for a major haircut; nor as I jokingly suggested a "license to grow long hair"!> I saw Jeff's original post as largely whimsical, with> a hint of seriousness (which Lurker seemed to take> entirely seriously).Well, I looked for a "smiley" somewhere and found none. Perhaps I should be a little more open to the concept of "humor", but with some of the far-out stuff that is posted around here, I sometimes feel that one just cannot safely assume anything at all!> One other tidbit for thought... is one's emotional> health any less important than one's physical health?Definitley not! BUT, emotionally healthy people don't let a major haircut ruin or devastate their lives!!!! Even if they later have "misgivings" about the outcome! It is just not an issue like major illness or death that can wreck a person's life! (Assuming as I did above that the haircut delivered is the one requested)
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
Hi, again, Jeff!I am glad to hear that the gum adjustment corrected the Fibromyalgia. When I had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago, I was shocked when the dental surgeon said that two were impacted and full of puss. He was surprised that I wasn't having much more pain than I had. Anyway, after the teeth were extracted, the bad taste in my mouth vanished and my horrible sinuses greatly improved. It's so strange that teeth can do something like that.I also know what you're saying about "due consideration." It's been my experience that when someone with long hair goes to a salon or barber to have a "severe" cut, the decision is often impulsive. I can remember going for a "trim" several years ago and having a rough time with a stylist. She started with the hair surrounding my face and I could see that she was taking much more than I had asked-about 1/2". I stopped her twice, but she continued according to what she saw fit. After my second stop, I took the cape off, picked up my bag, and left the salon. I also left her one penny. She could not understand why I was so upset.Bye for now,Jade21Jade,> Thanks for the kind words... I'm actually doing very> well lately. I just had gum surgery last friday and> this cleared up a long standing infection that I> didn't even know I had for probably as much as 10> years. As a result of this all the symptoms of my> Fibromyalgia have disappeared. Hopefully with my new> found health I can get my hair down to my butt and> beyond.> As to my post. The point that I was trying to make is> that when one makes a major decision such as cutting> off large amounts of hair one should give this due> consideration. If you walk into a salon for a trim and> come away with several inches less hair then you> haven't given this due consideration.> If you went to a doctor for the first time and he> recommends that you have major surgery you would be> very stupid to not get a second opinion.> Jeff.
Jessica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
Exactly. I totally agree. This is a discussion board, nothing else.Jess> It's a discussion. . .why should anyone "need to> get a life" because they debate different points> of view?!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic