Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pre-screening for make-over shows.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-screening for make-over shows.
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:49pm
> Look, I don't agree with "waiting periods"> or "licenses" for makeovers (that was just a> joke, right Jeff?), and I still believe that people> should be responsible for their actions, but maybe I> need to lighten up a bit!Yes, I was just kidding about mandatory waiting periods. However I do know that many stylists will not make major changes to a clients hair without a consultation and a waiting period. This could solve a lot of problems for those that don't.Jeff.
xoom!
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:49pm
Before I get into this discussion, I want to say that there was a post from a person signed "lurker" in the "good hair" discussion thread that was NOT ME! I don't know who this person is, but it is not me! Well, this person did use lower-case "lurker" so I guess that it is just a generic term.OK.Well, there has been much talk lately about big makeovers, especially the ones that occur on TV shows. I admitted that these are frequently done for the benefit of the "camera" and are as shocking as can be for the TV audience.But, then I argued that adults are free to make their own choices. Others argued that these TV shows are prone to "ambush" tactics that often result in horrible-looking makeovers of sobbing guests whose hair is chopped and ruined on camera.I have been following the "Jenny Jones/Amadeure/Schmitz" trial where the producers of the Jenny Jones TV show are being sued for causing a man to murder another man who expressed homosexual feelings for the first man on the TV show (stuff is on the Court TV website).Many expert witnesses have testified to the "ambush and attack" tactics used to generate hype, and which often result in people needing professional psychological help for a time after they appear in these types of shows.When one plaintiff's witness described his opinion of the need for "pre-screening" of potential guests, the defense attorney tried to put him down by asking if "beauty make-over guests" needed to be pre-screened!!The expert witness agreed!! The expert said that beauty show guests needed to be screened for psychological well-being before being subjected to any big changes!!!OUCH!!! This sounds very much like what has been argued on this board for the last few weeks!I feel like a heathen/vandal/visigoth at the gates of Rome. Gee, am I just an uncivilized barbarian???Maybe some of you are right, and I am wrong? Well, I don't admit to being completely wrong, but maybe some people just are not really ready to cut their hair, even when they think they are? Gee, then how do we know for sure if anyone is ever really sure about ANYTHING???Look, I don't agree with "waiting periods" or "licenses" for makeovers (that was just a joke, right Jeff?), and I still believe that people should be responsible for their actions, but maybe I need to lighten up a bit!(signed) Lurker, the REAL Lurker you all know an love :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic