Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Victim's rights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tiara View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Victim's rights
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
I have a friend who HAD the most gorgeous mid-back lengthhair that I have seen in ages--thick, shiny,etc.--absolutely stunning. Against her better judgement,she went to a stylist who she had never visited beforefor a trim of 3 inches, and the stylist didn't follow herdirections. She came out with hair barely brushing hershoulders! She is very upset. The haircut is not only tooshort, it is badly done. What would you do in thissituation? Would you go back to this place (Gimmee AHaircut in Medina, OH) and complain? She is concernedthat if she returns, they'll just end up screwing up herhair even more in the quest to "fix" it." However,something needs to be done--this scissor happy stylistreally BUTCHERED her hair! Would writing a letter to thestore owner be a better bet? At the very least, I reallydon't think she should have to pay for this cut!Opinions, anyone? I've heard so many scary stories thatI'm afraid to crack the doors of a salon anymore!Tiara
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
> I have a friend who HAD the most gorgeous mid-back> length> hair that I have seen in ages--thick, shiny,> etc.--absolutely stunning. Against her better> judgement,> she went to a stylist who she had never visited before> for a trim of 3 inches, and the stylist didn't follow> her> directions. She came out with hair barely brushing her> shoulders! She is very upset. The haircut is not only> too> short, it is badly done. What would you do in this> situation? Would you go back to this place (Gimmee A> Haircut in Medina, OH) and complain? She is concerned> that if she returns, they'll just end up screwing up> her> hair even more in the quest to "fix"> it." However,> something needs to be done--this scissor happy stylist> really BUTCHERED her hair! Would writing a letter to> the> store owner be a better bet? At the very least, I> really> don't think she should have to pay for this cut!> Opinions, anyone? I've heard so many scary stories> that> I'm afraid to crack the doors of a salon anymore!> TiaraIf it happen to me I would go back and demand the stylist to fix their mistake . I would also raise a stink about the stylist cutting it too short.It is always important to repeat to the stylist the amount you want off. I know for myself when I tell a stylist 1/2 inch I will repeat it and then I will ask them to show me exactly what 1/2 inch means to them.Diane
Tiara View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
> If it happen to me I would go back and demand the> stylist to fix their mistake . I would also raise a> stink about the stylist cutting it too short.> It is always important to repeat to the stylist the> amount you want off. I know for myself when I tell a> stylist 1/2 inch I will repeat it and then I will ask> them to show me exactly what 1/2 inch means to them.> DianeShe showed the stylist EXACTLY what she wanted cut off. The stylist didn't listen. The whole time she was getting her hair cut, this woman was trying to talk her into going shorter and shorter and commenting about the huge pile of hair on the floor. From the very beginning, this stylist seemed desperate to persuade her to cut off her hair. In fact, when she first went into the salon, she asked my friend, who is 30 yrs old, where she went to high school. When my friend told her that she was 30, the stylist said "Wow, you look like a little kid. It must be all that hair you are hiding behind. etc., etc." My friend is very beautiful, and doesn't look 30, but she doesn't look like a teenager, either. It seems this stylist was trying to make her feel like long hair made her look silly and unprofessional, and thought the high school comment might make her more likely to cut. I honestly feel that jealousy was at work here. My friend had the thickest, healthiest, shiniest hair that I've seen in a long time, and is extremely attactive; the stylist was rather unattractive. Under these questionable circumstances, would YOU be brave enough to go back to have it "fixed?"
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
> I honestly feel that jealousy was at work here.> My friend had the thickest, healthiest, shiniest hair> that I've seen in a long time, and is extremely> attactive; the stylist was rather unattractive. Under> these questionable circumstances, would YOU be brave> enough to go back to have it "fixed?"No, I wouldn't let them touch my hair, but I WOULD demand a refund and make my feelings known! I no longer havelong hair, but when I did, a similiar incident happenedto me. I'm not a confrontational person, and I let thestylist get away with it. Why is it that women (meincluded) allow others to take advantage of them withoutconsequences?
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
> No, I wouldn't let them touch my hair, but I WOULD> demand a refund and make my feelings known! I no> longer have> long hair, but when I did, a similiar incident> happened> to me. I'm not a confrontational person, and I let the> stylist get away with it. Why is it that women (me> included) allow others to take advantage of them> without> consequences?Dear Dawn:are you the same lady that had very long hair and makes the hair barrrettes?Diane
Diane k. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane k. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
> No, I wouldn't let them touch my hair, but I WOULD> demand a refund and make my feelings known! I no> longer have> long hair, but when I did, a similiar incident> happened> to me. I'm not a confrontational person, and I let the> stylist get away with it. Why is it that women (me> included) allow others to take advantage of them> without> consequences?Tiara,I argree with what has been said here. My first reaction to your question is why did your friend pay? Why on earth didnt see complain to the manager at the time. And shame on that stylist!! If your friend was that unhappy the stylist must have at least sensed it!! Your probaly right about the jelousy thing. I have seen it happen before many times!Im a stlist and I have combs just like any other stlylist. The combs usualy have a ruler on one side. So you measure, show the person then have them agree to what was asked, then cut a little under what was asked. You can always take more off.I cant belive there are stylist out there hacking of gorgous hair!!Heres what I would do. Call the salon and ask for the owner or manager. Then tell them your story please include the stylist name if possible. And dont take no for an answer if they dont offer something up,ask. "What are you going to do to make this better?." If you still have problems then go over this persons head call the company if you have to.Writing a letter is good but you cant get feed back like you can if your on the phone or in someones face. I dont usual agree with making someones life misrable but she was wronged and should have some compansation! ( Im just sorry her hair is gone!! Belive me not all stylist are that terrible! I for one love long beatiful hair and would never do that to someone!)Dont let anyone walk on you or take advantage of you. Stand up for yourself because no one else will!!Very discussed with that fellow coworker,Sincerly,Diane K.
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
> Dear Dawn:> are you the same lady that had very long hair and> makes the hair barrrettes?> DianeNo, that's not me--different Dawn! I'm not that artistic. I did have long hair, but it is short at the moment. I love long hair--always have--but I went through a phase of being sick of my hair, and I ended up cutting it. I regret it now, but I'm not going to wallow in misery over it either. It was my decision--not against my will. That is a lot different than Tiara's friend's situation.By the way, someone impersonates me now and then on these hair message boards, so it you ever read any really BIZARRE messages w/ my name attached, rest assured they aren't from me! I like long hair--I find it beautiful and very sensual--but I am heterosexual and don't have a hair fetish.
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
> I have a friend who HAD the most gorgeous mid-back> length hair that I have seen in ages--thick, shiny,> etc.--absolutely stunning. Against her better> judgement, she went to a stylist who she had never> visited before for a trim of 3 inches, and the stylist> didn't follow her directions. She came out with hair> barely brushing her shoulders! She is very upset.Well, chalk it up to experience. There are LOTS of reallybad stylists out there, and a few that are downright hostile. To them, the more they cut the better! Long hair is to them just an opportunity to "exercise their scissor hand" a little.> The haircut is not only too short, it is badly done.> What would you do in this situation? Would you go back> to this place (Gimmee A Haircut in Medina, OH) and> complain?Yeah complain, but don't expect too much satisfaction. They would probably just laugh about your poor friend's hair: "Hey Marge, remember that woman whose pretty long hair you butchered last week? She called to complain! HAR HAR HAR!"> She is concerned that if she returns, they'll just end up> screwing up her hair even more in the quest to "fix"> it."GOD NO! Tell her to learn a lesson. Like Scotty said in Star Trek, "Fool me once, shame on you...Fool me twice, shame on me."Letting that buffoon woman take another whack at what is left of her hair would be very foolish indeed! You friend may just walk out with a crew-cut!> However, something needs to be done--this scissor happy> stylist really BUTCHERED her hair!I recomend the Vidal Sassoon Salon in Atlanta....but your friend probably cannot just pop over from Medina, OH for the day....too bad.Really, find a friend whose hair looks nice and ask who did the cut, then go to that person. Long-term: find a stylist that she can stick with. Even better: tell her to let her husband or boyfriend do the job...unless the guy is a klutz, he can cut a straight line....bound to be better than the botch-job you described!> Would writing a letter to the store owner be a better bet?Go ahead; it may wind up on the "joke of the day" bulletin board though.> At the very least, I really don't think she should have> to pay for this cut!Did she put it on a credit card? She may have SOME recourse if she did....
Regina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
i had just moved away to go to school and needed a haircut and went to a highly recommended salon but the same thing happened. isn't it amaziong when some stylists believe that when you ask for an inch trim you really mean four! in my case going back to the stylist wasn't helpful at all. she was extremely rude and would not give me a refund. i paid with a check and just ended up cancelling the check. it cost me $10 but it was worth it.
wild orhcid salon san luis obispo
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
> i had just moved away to go to school and needed a> haircut and went to a highly recommended salon but the> same thing happened. isn't it amaziong when some> stylists believe that when you ask for an inch trim> you really mean four! in my case going back to the> stylist wasn't helpful at all. she was extremely rude> and would not give me a refund. i paid with a check> and just ended up cancelling the check. it cost me $10> but it was worth it.Good idea! I would have cancelled the check as well. Going back to the stylist in these situations usually won't do much good as you'll most likely come out w/ even less hair. At college, my friends and I trimmed each others hair because most of the stylists in town were butchers. I'd rather take my chances w/ an amateur that I knew liked long hair! Even if they messed up, I'd probably still have more hair than if I went to the average stylist. Good stylists are VERY tough to find...if any of you have found one in the Cleveland/Akron area, let me know! (by the way Tiara, do you live in Medina, OH like your friend?)
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
Regina, I'm sorry to hear of your negative salon experience! Good for you for taking action, though. . .that's an excellent idea and one I'm going to keep in mind! Do you think the hairdresser will learn a lesson from it? (I never hold my breath in situations like this, but there's always hope. . . .)Hang in there. . .there are wonderful stylists to be found!!!
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
Tiara,I've run into the same experience as your friend ( I have hair to the top of my hips) but even though the stylist tried to talk me into a much shorter hairstyle, I would not budge! I only went to her for a spot perm on my bang/crown area..not a TRIM! I do think both opinions are right-the one Lurker said, not going back to the stylist to get it re-cut-PLEASE TELL HER NOT TO DO THAT! She will just be asking for more heartache. Dawn is right in saying that the best thing is to have your friend Mom, boyfriend, Husband, Dad, whoever you trust (family or friend) but ametuers who love long hair and can cut a decent straight line are ALWAYS preferable to a scissorhappy stylist. I agree I think the jealousy thing was going on here. I've dealt enough with it in my own life to recognize it, and it's obvious here. At other times with the stories I hear I think it's just scissor-happy stylists who love to "dig-in" to long hair(I've actually had a stylist say that she wanted to "dig-in" to my hair once-I wasn't even her client, she just said it in passing to me!). I've also seen where a stylist just doesn't know (or doesn't want to know) what 1/4 of an inch means, as in my Husbands case where he's growing out his hair and told the stylist only to trim that much and she cut off more-a common story!Diane K. has to be a great stylist to care enough to take off less than more, as that's not the usual reputation of hairstylists!She's also right to say that your friend should have spoke up and said what she felt althought the cancelled check idea was great! Most salons don't give refunds-they either "fix" what they did(I use the term "fix" loosely!)or do some other type of service free-but no money back to you, usually.This had nothing to do with hair, but I once knew a man who was upset with the local J.C. Penney's store for not giving a refund on something he bought and so he proceeded to get up on a chair in the store and told customers all about it, and he got his refund. I think I would have gone around the next day to the salon and asked for a refund from the manager/owner telling him/her exactly what you thought happenned, which was that this was done out of jealousy, and she would like something done about it-refund! If they give her the run-around, she should have pictures of her old hairstyle ready to show customers there in the salon so that they can see what this salon does to people. Maybe I sound like I'm all talk, but believe me when I say I would do this and have done things similiar to this when I feel I've been shafted. I know what Dawn is saying when she says why do women let things be done to them without standing up to people. I was like that when I was a child,and was picked on because I was the timid type, but as I got older-what a change! I don't go looking for trouble, and I like to live peacably, but there are times when one must say what is wrong and point it out. I don't mean to sound like a feminist, but women are given the impression from society that if they speak up for themselves, they're a b----, but if men do the same, they are just doing what's right! Well, I think things might be changing that way but it still is the way of thinking in society(and it's worse over here in Europe-as an American living in France I can see women still have it better in the States than here as far as what's expected from us, at least that's the way it seems here in the South of France).Well, I hope your friend never lets this person touch her hair again, and hopefully all will return to normal with her hair before too long.Please let us all know what happens.Holly
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
> ( I have hair to the top of my hips) but even though the stylist tried> to talk me into a much shorter hairstyle, I would not budge! ...> At other times with the stories I hear I think it's just scissor-happy> stylists who love to "dig-in" to long hair(I've actually had a stylist> say that she wanted to "dig-in" to my hair once-I wasn't even her> client, she just said it in passing to me!).Holly,I don't doubt this. It sounds very plausible.What we have here is a significant difference of opinion. On the onehand, we have some stylists who enjoy cutting hair. On the other, wehave people who have long hair and who want to keep it long!Perhaps the solution is for stylists to purchase wigs of long hair,to have a friend wear the wig, and then the stylist can do as they asplease... WITHOUT making a coercive attempt to "steal" the real hairof a long-haired person (who WANTS to KEEP their hair long)!After all, why should they expect OTHERS to pay (in more ways than one!)for THEIR kicks?Dave
David M Squires
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:53pm
Dave,Great idea. At least I've been lucky enough to usually find hairstylists that do what I say-maybe I just sound or look firm enough when I would tell them what I want. I say this in the past tense because I don't even go to hairdressers anymore, and haven't for the longest time.I think my suggestions are best for people seriously trying to grow their hair long IMHO-stole that one from you,Dave! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic