Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair Lives!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Diane k. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane k. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Hair Lives!!
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
Hi,I was just reading my April isssue of American Salon Magazine and Long Hair Lives is the title. Acording to the editor the runway modles are wearing there hair long. She even sayes that stars want it and if they dont have it well thell just buy it! Where have they been long hair NEVER goes out of style. Just thought you might be interested.Happy Heathy hair,Diane K.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
> Hi,> I was just reading my April isssue of American Salon> Magazine and Long Hair Lives is the title. Acording to> the editor the runway modles are wearing there hair> long. She even sayes that stars want it and if they> dont have it well thell just buy it! Where have they> been long hair NEVER goes out of style. Just thought> you might be interested.> Happy Heathy hair,> Diane K.A While back I wrote to this board and another board and named the famous designers that were using long hair models.I was excited because I felt it would give a positive message.Diane
Diane k. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane k. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
> A While back I wrote to this board and another board> and named the famous designers that were using long> hair models.> I was excited because I felt it would give a positive> message.> DianeDiane,I agree, that it is a possitive. Sorry I forgot the names earlier here they are:Gwyneth Paltrow, Madonna, Sandra Bullock, Minnie Driver and Jennifer Aniston. I also noticed Susan Summers sporting longer locks on Candid Camara last week!Diane K.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
> Gwyneth Paltrow, Madonna, Sandra Bullock, Minnie> Driver and Jennifer Aniston.Hmmm.... I wonder about several of these supposed "models of longerhair"... true, Gwyneth Paltrow is letting her hair grow out now...but several years ago she had very long hair, but then chopped it.Only since has she been regrowing it...Madonna's hair was at its longest a couple years ago. She's beengoing shorter since. Sandra Bullock, ditto!Where did they come up with this list?
David M Squires
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
> I was just reading my April isssue of American Salon Magazine and Long> Hair Lives is the title. Acording to the editor the runway modles are> wearing there hair long. She even sayes that stars want it and if they> dont have it well thell just buy it!Isn't that nice. So getting long hair has been reduced to a matterof simply flashing the cash and "installing" extensions. Seems totrivialize the process of growing your own. So the standard that"patience is a virtue" is being replaced with "show me the money?"Crass.> Where have they been long hair NEVER goes out of style.Long hair is always appealing, and has been described as a timelessclassic. Fashion trends, but style endures.
David M Squires
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
> ............the runway modles are wearing there hair> long. ...............................Where have they> been long hair NEVER goes out of style.Of course not. Long hair is sexy, glamorous, fun to play with, and when it is ingood condition is is just a joy to look at.BUT, I still say that change is of the essence. Keeping any one style too longis, IMO, just boring. Doesn't mean that you have to go from butt-length to pixiecut all at once, but anyone who has the same old long hair for years is, I think,waisting the potential of their hair to enhance their image and personal style.Would you wear the same dress every day? Would you eat the same foodevery day?Try something new every once in a while, change often is a good thing!Next year, all the models will be cutting their hair short; they always go through cycles....
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
> Of course not. Long hair is sexy, glamorous, fun to> play with, and when it is in> good condition is is just a joy to look at.> BUT, I still say that change is of the essence.> Keeping any one style too long> is, IMO, just boring. Doesn't mean that you have to go> from butt-length to pixie> cut all at once, but anyone who has the same old long> hair for years is, I think,> waisting the potential of their hair to enhance their> image and personal style.> Would you wear the same dress every day? Would you eat> the same food> every day?> Try something new every once in a while, change often> is a good thing!> Next year, all the models will be cutting their hair> short; they always go through cycles....Dear Lurker:Change is good if it is positive for the person that the change is being done to and it really doesn't mean that it is negative to not want to change period. It really depend of who that person is and their needs.Diane
Diane k. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane k. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
> Hmmm.... I wonder about several of these supposed> "models of longer> hair"... true, Gwyneth Paltrow is letting her> hair grow out now...> but several years ago she had very long hair, but then> chopped it.> Only since has she been regrowing it...> Madonna's hair was at its longest a couple years ago.> She's been> going shorter since. Sandra Bullock, ditto!> Where did they come up with this list?Dave,I dont no where the editor got it from. But I do belive most of the "ladys" I listed have taken the easy way out. I think thats cheating especialy if your only doing it because its IN and they have money to buy whatever they want.Im rooting for long hair especialy when you have earned(after years of bad hair days) the right to were it and be proud!!Diane K.
Dave View Drop Down

> Of course not. Long hair is sexy, glamorous, fun to> play with, and when it is in> good condition is is just a joy to look at.Hi Lurker,I agree with this statement.> BUT, I still say that change is of the essence.> Keeping any one style too long> is, IMO, just boring. Doesn't mean that you have to go> from butt-length to pixie> cut all at once,Change can be achieved without cutting. Long hair is very versatileand can be styled in a large number of ways.but anyone who has the same old long> hair for years is, I think,> waisting the potential of their hair to enhance their> image and personal style.If someone has found a style which works for them and which they like,and they feel that they have maximized the potential of their look,who's to say that they can't enjoy that style for as long as it pleasesthem? I'm not arguing against ANY change. Maybe the real issue hereis that people have differing ideas as to what constitutes the "best"interval of time over which to make changes.> Would you wear the same dress every day? Would you eat> the same food> every day?> Try something new every once in a while, change often> is a good thing!Day 1, French Braid. Day 2, Bun. Day 3, loose & free-flowing. Day 4,French Twist. Day 5, Ponytail. Day 6, 7, etc... (refer to variousstyling books and videos). Lots of variety.> Next year, all the models will be cutting their hair> short; they always go through cycles....What if they get hacked so badly that even you would cringe (such aswhat happened to your lady)? I would think that even you might not beso eager to see such a trend.Dave
David M Squires
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
Gwyneth Paltrow--Hair extensions, has neck-length hair.Madonna--Shoulder-length bob, has often worn hair extensions for her "long hair" incarnations.Sandra Bullock--Wore hair extensions in "Practical Magic," has since chopped her back-length hair to above the shoulders. (See "Forces of Nature" premiere.)Minnie Driver and Jennifer Aniston--Both sport their own locks, of course. But this is arguably not the best look for Aniston, and definitely not the one that helped make her famous and inspired zillions of imitators.How about these names: Portia di Rossi, Heather Graham, Nicole Kidman, Denise Richards, Katie Holmes....
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
> Gwyneth Paltrow--Hair extensions, has neck-length> hair.> Madonna--Shoulder-length bob, has often worn hair> extensions for her "long hair" incarnations.> Sandra Bullock--Wore hair extensions in> "Practical Magic," has since chopped her> back-length hair to above the shoulders. (See> "Forces of Nature" premiere.)> Minnie Driver and Jennifer Aniston--Both sport their> own locks, of course. But this is arguably not the> best look for Aniston, and definitely not the one that> helped make her famous and inspired zillions of> imitators.> How about these names: Portia di Rossi, Heather> Graham, Nicole Kidman, Denise Richards, Katie> Holmes....Related Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:53pm
> Gwyneth Paltrow--Hair extensions, has neck-length> hair.Gwyneth is back to below the shoulder hair. She had gotten extensions to have VERY long hair for a movie role.> Minnie Driver and Jennifer Aniston--Both sport their> own locks, of course. But this is arguably not the> best look for Aniston, and definitely not the one that> helped make her famous and inspired zillions of> imitators.Jennifer Aniston still has some of the best hair on TV...even if her current style isn't the most flattering on her.> How about these names: Portia di Rossi, Heather> Graham, Nicole Kidman, Denise Richards, Katie> Holmes....Portia Di Rossi has the best hair on TV. And this comes from a guy who prefers brunettes. :)Who else has great hair on TV? Consider that a teaser for an upcoming JFCHS Extra.Later,JFRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:53pm
> If someone has found a style which works for them and> which they like, and they feel that they have maximized> the potential of their look, who's to say that they can't> enjoy that style for as long as it pleases them?I never argued that a person CANNOT (I am not a Nazi thought-police kind of guy), I merely argue that a person SHOULD NOT keep the same old style for ever, including long hair.To me, keeping the same old long hair is just boring and pointless. My opinion only, nobody has to pay any attention to it. But: nobody eats the same food each day, nobody drives the same car forever, nobody works at the same job forever. Think about it.> Day 1, French Braid. Day 2, Bun. Day 3, loose &> free-flowing. Day 4,> French Twist. Day 5, Ponytail. Day 6, 7, etc...Day 900, same old stuff; Day 901, same old stuff; Day 902, same old stuff; .......Day 1000, maybe try something NEW for a change!!!! Like a new, shorter haircut....> What if they get hacked so badly that even you would> cringe (such as what happened to your lady)?Not every short or medium-length haircut is a butcher job. I think that MANY short haircuts, when done by a good stylist, are really nice and fun, at least as much fun as long hair. Really, it is the change that is fun: seeing my wife go from long to a short geometric cut was a big event, and we made it into a fun time. She looked great, until the fool she last went to screwed it up.It was not the short hair that was bad, it was the BAD HAIRCUT that was bad!
The original Dawn from RareGems View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The original Dawn from RareGems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:53pm
Though this would appear to be another incarnation of the long vs short argument, which I think is futile and counterproductive to people learning to accept one anothers personal choices as perfectly valid for them, I just can't resist sticking my two cents worth in here, mainly because of the underlying tone that is always taken by Lurker. It IS possible to hold a point of view without implying condemnation of or contempt for the other side of the coin, don't you think? Let me illustrate.> Of course not. Long hair is sexy, glamorous, fun to> play with, and when it is in> good condition is is just a joy to look at.Then you must keep in mind that the aquisition of such hair requires years of patience and faithful commitment which would seem to me to be the very antithesis of the notion that "change is of the essence" huh?> BUT, I still say that change is of the essence.> Keeping any one style too long> is, IMO, just boring. Doesn't mean that you have to go> from butt-length to pixie> cut all at once, but anyone who has the same old long> hair for years is, I think,> waisting the potential of their hair to enhance their> image and personal style.Though you profess to be only offering your opinion, ostensibly valid for no one but yourself, your tone implies a not so subtle condemnation of anyone who doesn't subscribe to that same opinion, alluding to their hair as "boring", "the same old thing". You leave no room for the position that my long hair is, in my opinion, already the ultimate expression of its true potential, the complete and perfect manifestation of my self image and personal style. Cutting it would destroy that perfect state, so why would I want to do that? And why on earth would what I do with my own head matter a whit to you, to the degree that you would attempt to debate a point in a manner meant to convert people to your "side"?> Would you wear the same dress every day? Would you eat> the same food> every day?Well, no, but I do continue to wear and enjoy many classic items such as jackets, skirts, blouses, evening wear and other timelessly beautiful garments that I have worn and enjoyed for most of my adult life. They are as enduring and gratifying as they were the day I bought them. I also take the same vitamins every day, wake up with the same old husband every day, love and enjoy the same old children everyday, eat cereal every morning, wear socks, and, heaven forbid, even put my hair in the very same wrapped braid for days, even weeks on end. I don't find this boring or suffocating at all. As a Taurus, I cannot stand change, in fact, I find it disruptive and unnerving. I do however refrain from referring to those who enjoy the continual rearranging of themselves and their outer appearance as flaky or unstable (I don't feel that way, I'm merely making a point). Why can't you refrain from referring to those who don't hold your views as somehow pedestrian, boring and not quite living up to their potential as you see it?> Try something new every once in a while, change often> is a good thing!Well, again, I would say that change is SOMETIMES a good thing. I like to try new recipes, new flowers in the garden, new hair jewelry. But I am perfectly happy with the same old family, the same old life, the same old self image that has nurtured and sustained me for many, many years now, and I hope to continue in the "same old boring" vein for as long as I am blessed to do so. Why does that engender such opposition from you?> I never argued that a person CANNOT (I am not a Nazi> thought-police kind of guy), I merely argue that a> person SHOULD NOT keep the same old style for ever,> including long hair.What are you saying here? I don't really see the difference other than a bit of semantics. Oh sure, you can keep the same style if you really want to but you'll be an unsophisticated, backward fool if you do? That's not fair and might even be contrued as quite offensive.> To me, keeping the same old long hair is just boring> and pointless. My opinion only, nobody has to pay any> attention to it. But: nobody eats the same food each> day, nobody drives the same car forever, nobody works> at the same job forever. Think about it.But don't you see that you're not just sharing your opinion here, you're advocating that others adopt it as well by your not so subtle innuendo that to do otherwise is just plain "pointless"? You admonish us to "think about it" as if, were we intelligent enough to just consider the obvious wisdom of your words, we would be somehow saved, converted.> Day 900, same old stuff; Day 901, same old stuff; Day> 902, same old stuff; .......Day 1000, maybe try> something NEW for a change!!!! Like a new, shorter> haircut....Why does change have to mean shorter? Why can't it mean a new do, a new part, a new look with that "same old" hair? This is, I think, the argument that Dave is always making, that it is unfair to coerce people with the ever present pressure to conform to one way of thinking, that somehow you're nothing but a stick in the mud if you like your hair just plain really, really long.> Not every short or medium-length haircut is a butcher> job. I think that MANY short haircuts, when done by a> good stylist, are really nice and fun, at least as> much fun as long hair. Really, it is the change that> is fun: seeing my wife go from long to a short> geometric cut was a big event, and we made it into a> fun time. She looked great, until the fool she last> went to screwed it up.I don't think anyone is denying you this experience or your obvious pleasure extracted from it but why must you insist that it would be fun for everyone? For me such an experience would be a major crisis, NOT pleasant AT ALL. As an example, how would you feel if I insinuated that you have emotionally blackmailed your wife into accepting these radical physical makeovers so that she will continue to be sexually attractive and exciting for you? Offensive isn't it? Can you see that your comments feel the same for a person who is perfectly happy with their "boring" long hair and feels no lack of excitement or fullfilment in their lives by maintaining a satisyingly constant style for years?We can offer our personal views, support and encourage others of like mind, even perhaps offer a bit of encouragement or inspiration for those who are seeking to create their own personal style, without necessarily making the alternative viewpoints into adversaries.HOW you express your opinion can make a great deal of difference in the way that expression is perceived. It IS possible to say your piece without the little jabs at people who don't agree, that's the essence of civilized discourse.I personally am a longhair in every sense of the word, mind, body and soul, but that's not for everyone and I wouldn't want to live in a world where everyone had been molded to fit my image of perfection since its really only valid for me. The joy of life is discovering why other people make the choices they do, oftentimes just because they have made choices radically different from our own. I think it was Diane who very wisely observed that when we find peace with our own choices we no longer feel the need to denigrate or manipulate the choices of others. I say amen to that.Very best wishes to all!Dawn
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:53pm
> Though this would appear to be another incarnation of> the long vs short argument, which I think is futile> and counterproductive to people learning to accept one> anothers personal choices as perfectly valid for them,> I just can't resist sticking my two cents worth in> here, mainly because of the underlying tone that is> always taken by Lurker. It IS possible to hold a point> of view without implying condemnation of or contempt> for the other side of the coin, don't you think? Let> me illustrate.> Then you must keep in mind that the aquisition of such> hair requires years of patience and faithful> commitment which would seem to me to be the very> antithesis of the notion that "change is of the> essence" huh?> Though you profess to be only offering your opinion,> ostensibly valid for no one but yourself, your tone> implies a not so subtle condemnation of anyone who> doesn't subscribe to that same opinion, alluding to> their hair as "boring", "the same old> thing". You leave no room for the position that> my long hair is, in my opinion, already the ultimate> expression of its true potential, the complete and> perfect manifestation of my self image and personal> style. Cutting it would destroy that perfect state, so> why would I want to do that? And why on earth would> what I do with my own head matter a whit to you, to> the degree that you would attempt to debate a point in> a manner meant to convert people to your> "side"?> Well, no, but I do continue to wear and enjoy many> classic items such as jackets, skirts, blouses,> evening wear and other timelessly beautiful garments> that I have worn and enjoyed for most of my adult> life. They are as enduring and gratifying as they were> the day I bought them. I also take the same vitamins> every day, wake up with the same old husband every> day, love and enjoy the same old children everyday,> eat cereal every morning, wear socks, and, heaven> forbid, even put my hair in the very same wrapped> braid for days, even weeks on end. I don't find this> boring or suffocating at all. As a Taurus, I cannot> stand change, in fact, I find it disruptive and> unnerving. I do however refrain from referring to> those who enjoy the continual rearranging of> themselves and their outer appearance as flaky or> unstable (I don't feel that way, I'm merely making a> point). Why can't you refrain from referring to those> who don't hold your views as somehow pedestrian,> boring and not quite living up to their potential as> you see it?> Well, again, I would say that change is SOMETIMES a> good thing. I like to try new recipes, new flowers in> the garden, new hair jewelry. But I am perfectly happy> with the same old family, the same old life, the same> old self image that has nurtured and sustained me for> many, many years now, and I hope to continue in the> "same old boring" vein for as long as I am> blessed to do so. Why does that engender such> opposition from you?> What are you saying here? I don't really see the> difference other than a bit of semantics. Oh sure, you> can keep the same style if you really want to but> you'll be an unsophisticated, backward fool if you do?> That's not fair and might even be contrued as quite> offensive.> But don't you see that you're not just sharing your> opinion here, you're advocating that others adopt it> as well by your not so subtle innuendo that to do> otherwise is just plain "pointless"? You> admonish us to "think about it" as if, were> we intelligent enough to just consider the obvious> wisdom of your words, we would be somehow saved,> converted.> Why does change have to mean shorter? Why can't it> mean a new do, a new part, a new look with that> "same old" hair? This is, I think, the> argument that Dave is always making, that it is unfair> to coerce people with the ever present pressure to> conform to one way of thinking, that somehow you're> nothing but a stick in the mud if you like your hair> just plain really, really long.> I don't think anyone is denying you this experience or> your obvious pleasure extracted from it but why must> you insist that it would be fun for everyone? For me> such an experience would be a major crisis, NOT> pleasant AT ALL. As an example, how would you feel if> I insinuated that you have emotionally blackmailed> your wife into accepting these radical physical> makeovers so that she will continue to be sexually> attractive and exciting for you? Offensive isn't it?> Can you see that your comments feel the same for a> person who is perfectly happy with their> "boring" long hair and feels no lack of> excitement or fullfilment in their lives by> maintaining a satisyingly constant style for years?> We can offer our personal views, support and encourage> others of like mind, even perhaps offer a bit of> encouragement or inspiration for those who are seeking> to create their own personal style, without> necessarily making the alternative viewpoints into> adversaries.> HOW you express your opinion can make a great deal of> difference in the way that expression is perceived. It> IS possible to say your piece without the little jabs> at people who don't agree, that's the essence of> civilized discourse.> I personally am a longhair in every sense of the word,> mind, body and soul, but that's not for everyone and I> wouldn't want to live in a world where everyone had> been molded to fit my image of perfection since its> really only valid for me. The joy of life is> discovering why other people make the choices they do,> oftentimes just because they have made choices> radically different from our own. I think it was Diane> who very wisely observed that when we find peace with> our own choices we no longer feel the need to> denigrate or manipulate the choices of others. I say> amen to that.> Very best wishes to all!> DawnDear Dawn:I wouldn't have been able to say it better to Lurker. Thank you Dawn.Diane
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:53pm
> I never argued that a person CANNOT (I am not a Nazi> thought-police kind of guy), I merely argue that a> person SHOULD NOT keep the same old style for ever,> including long hair.> To me, keeping the same old long hair is just boring> and pointless. My opinion only, nobody has to pay any> attention to it. But: nobody eats the same food each> day, nobody drives the same car forever, nobody works> at the same job forever. Think about it.> Day 900, same old stuff; Day 901, same old stuff; Day> 902, same old stuff; .......Day 1000, maybe try> something NEW for a change!!!! Like a new, shorter> haircut....> Not every short or medium-length haircut is a butcher> job. I think that MANY short haircuts, when done by a> good stylist, are really nice and fun, at least as> much fun as long hair. Really, it is the change that> is fun: seeing my wife go from long to a short> geometric cut was a big event, and we made it into a> fun time. She looked great, until the fool she last> went to screwed it up.> It was not the short hair that was bad, it was the BAD> HAIRCUT that was bad!Dear Lurker:You seen to have a problem seeing both sides of a coin or maybe you just have a problem with people with long hair. I haven't made up my mind about you.I really don't like the hidden message you are saying in your post. If you wife really wanted to just have long hair would you not find her exciting?I would like to know when actually was the last time you made a drastic change in your hairstyle?Not everyone shares the same opinions or thoughts like you and one has to respect that.Having long hair is very exciting for me. I can usually change my style loo times a day if I wish. I can add flowers, barrettes etc. I use to be a short hair woman and I prefer being a long hair female.LIke I said before change is only good if the person wants it.We go on for a lifetime with the same eye color , same skin color are we sick of that? Of course not.Like Dawn says we walk up to the same spouse etc and never get sick of that. Sometimes things in life is like stability and it very much needed. Personally I have too much change , stability is very much needed.How many times do you do the same thing and never get sick of it? If you really enjoy something you can do it over and over again without getting tired of it. Do you hear men say" hell I am sick and tire of watching that football, baseball game"Long hair in a way is kind of the same thing , same product but small changes all the time.Diane
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:53pm
> Dear Lurker:> You seen to have a problem seeing both sides of a coin> or maybe you just have a problem with people with long> hair. I haven't made up my mind about you.I don't have a "problem" with anyone who does not assault me or try to interfere with my free exercise of my rights. Long hair or short, blue, red or purple, I don't care.I simply state that, IMO, I find people boring who keep doing the same old thing year after year after year.If you go to your high schools's 20-year reunion, and everybody still acts the same way they did in high school, wouldn't you think they were arrested in their development?If you go to your high schools's 20-year reunion, and everybody still has the exact same hairstyle from the past, wouldn't you think they were arrested in their development?> I really don't like the hidden message you are saying> in your post. If you wife really wanted to just have> long hair would you not find her exciting?My wife is fine anyway that she chooses to look. If she kept the same old tired style for many years I would still love her, but I absolutely DO find it exciting when she makes a change in her appearance!> I would like to know when actually was the last time> you made a drastic change in your hairstyle?Last summer. I got tired of paying bozo barbers and stylists to give me haircuts that I was not happy with, so I bought electric clippers and buzzed it down to about 1/4". I was very happy with that then. Now it is marginally longer, about 3/8" all over. Easy to keep up with, no hassle at all. Maybe this year I will go for the mohawk (but my boss may cringe).> Not everyone shares the same opinions or thoughts like> you and one has to respect that.I do respect others opinions. But I still think that people who are afraid to make a change, or who are stuck in the past, are BORING.Shake things up a little, do something different.> Having long hair is very exciting for me. I can> usually change my style loo times a day if I wish. I> can add flowers, barrettes etc.Yeah, and IMO, after a few years of this it all begins to look exactly the same each and every day. Try something REALLY different, get a new style!> I use to be a short hair woman and I prefer being a long> hair female.Your choice, no problem. I still have my opinion, not with regard to your choice of hair style or color, but in general with respect to people's unwillingness to change with time.Look, years from now YOU may change your mind completely of your own free will. I know that you probably think that this sounds crazy, but who knows....people DO change with time, and you are not now the person that you were ten years ago: you are older and more mature, and ten years from now you will be different than you are today.I guess that what I am saying is: don't ever shut yourself off to possibilities; don't grow stale and get stuck in a rut; be open to change.> LIke I said before change is only good if the person> wants it.Agreed. But I still maintain that most normally developing people will change MANY times during their lives...this is NORMAL.> We go on for a lifetime with the same eye color , same> skin color are we sick of that? Of course not.WRONG! Color-changing contact lenses are very popular, and lots of people change their skin color annually: they get a tan. Lots of people who have very dark skin take pills to lighten their skin.Even though these things are hard to chage, people often make the attempt!> Like Dawn says we walk up to the same spouse etc and> never get sick of that.EXACTLY why I say that it is HEALTHY and GOOD for a relationship to change you look and appearance! People tend to get bored with the same old thing year after year after year! Some people have affairs. Most people choose to stick with their spouse, but like to see them CHANGE over the years!It is NOT abnormal at all to change one's appearance! In fact, I argue that it IS abnormal to hang onto the same old look year after year....it is called "arrested development".> Sometimes things in life is> like stability and it very much needed. Personally I> have too much change , stability is very much needed.For you right now, at this time, change would not be good. Five years from now, who knows???BUT, to make a blanket statement "I will never change, I will never cut my hair" is absurd!> How many times do you do the same thing and never get> sick of it? If you really enjoy something you can do> it over and over again without getting tired of it.Maybe if you have an addiction, or a compulsive personality.> Do you hear men say" hell I am sick and tire of> watching that football, baseball game"Beer belching bozos who act like idiots in front of a TV set over a football game are EXACTLY the kind of people I am talking about when I say "arrested development". They are still acting like children, not a good analogy if you want to make a point.But, if that is how you expect men, and any other person, to act, then I would not be suprised if you never make a change to you hair :-)L.
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> Then you must keep in mind that the aquisition of such> hair requires years of patience and faithful> commitment which would seem to me to be the very> antithesis of the notion that "change is of the> essence" huh?Not really. You make a decision to grow your hair, fine. But then to stay entrenched with this idea forever becomes, IMO, BORING (yeah, I said it **again**).IMO, people who keep on doing the same old thing for years are BORING (yeah, **again**!).> Though you profess to be only offering your opinion,> ostensibly valid for no one but yourself, your tone> implies a not so subtle condemnation of anyone who> doesn't subscribe to that same opinionSo? That is what a debate is about, right? You have an opinion, I have an opinion. We disagree.> my long hair is, in my opinion, already the ultimate> expression of its true potential, the complete and> perfect manifestation of my self image and personal> style.See my other post to Dawn from Canada: this is fine, it is your choice. But you will probably change MANY times in your life, it is normal and OK to change!If in five years you still feel like you are already at your "ultimate potential", then I will be truely suprised. Perfection is generally an illusion (see philosophy of Plato), and an opinion like yours is often changed over the years.> Cutting it would destroy that perfect state, so> why would I want to do that?Again, see Plato. Perfection is an illusion. Five years from now, you may tell yourself, "God, what a silly thought I had that I could never be better than I was!"To imagine yourself in a "perfect state" is common, it is just that as time passes, your opinion of perfection, and the context of that opinion, will change. To keep up with reality, you will change too.> And why on earth would> what I do with my own head matter a whit to you, to> the degree that you would attempt to debate a point in> a manner meant to convert people to your> "side"?The essence of any debate is to discuss the merits of a position. It is now what you do to your head, but what goes on inside your head, that I debate.To imagine a state of "perfection" is common, to not recognize its illusory nature is a common mistake. You will change, it is impossible to resist, because the context of your existance changes and there is nothing that you can do about that.Then the real question becomes: will you go with the change, or try to resist and get stuck in the past.> Well, no, but I do continue to wear and enjoy many> classic items such as jackets, skirts, blouses,> evening wear and other timelessly beautiful garmentsYou mean that you wear the same jacket for years? Even when it is out of style? You still have all of your college clothes and high school clothes?> I also take the same vitamins every day,As your body ages, it will become necessary to take different vitamins. Likewise, pregnant women take different vitamins, necessary for the baby's proper nutrition.> wake up with the same old husband every day,He has never grown a beard, or shaved off a beard? Never changed his hair at all? Never grown it longer, or gotten a crew cut?>love and enjoy the same old children everyday,If your kids get to be teenagers, and still act like 1st graders, would you think this normal? When they go off to college, are you going to expect them to "mature" and "grow up"? Maybe you want them to be in their 40's and still living at home?> eat cereal every morningSame brand and kind EVERY day???> wear socksSame color and style? Never any sport socks or knit socks or wollen socks?> and, heaven forbid, even put my hair in the very same> wrapped braid for days, even weeks on end. I don't find> this boring or suffocating at all.Your opinion. It may change over time.> As a Taurus, I cannot stand change,Terrible to be boxed in like that :-) Really, I am a scientist, I don't believe in horrorscopes and all that.> Why can't you refrain from referring to those> who don't hold your views as somehow pedestrian,> boring and not quite living up to their potential as> you see it?This is my opinion, I will state it as such.> Oh sure, you> can keep the same style if you really want to but> you'll be an unsophisticated, backward fool if you do?> That's not fair and might even be contrued as quite> offensive.If you choose to be offended, that is your choice, This is a discussion/debate, offered in a mood of open thoughts and ideas.If someone acts like they did in high school, wouldn't you think them a little strage? If someone keeps the same old hairstyle for years, I find this a little strange.> Why does change have to mean shorter? Why can't it> mean a new do, a new part, a new look with that> "same old" hair?Because in the end, IMO, there is only so much that you can do until it become repetitive and dull. Cutting one's hair is an expression of change, one of the biggest that an indvidual can make. Why do you think that so many people cut their hair for events like new job, wedding, going off to college, etc. It is an outward expression of an inner change, a way of telling the world, "I am new and different."> that it is unfair> to coerce people.....somehow you're> nothing but a stick in the mud if you like your hair> just plain really, really long.Just my opinion. Don't take it so personally.> For me such an experience would be a major crisis, NOT> pleasant AT ALL.Your opinion. It may change in time of your own free will.> how would you feel if> I insinuated that you have emotionally blackmailed> your wife into accepting these radical physical> makeovers so that she will continue to be sexually> attractive and exciting for you? Offensive isn't it?Not at all. It is your opinion, not anything like the truth.> Can you see that your comments feel the same for a> person who is perfectly happy with their> "boring" long hair and feels no lack of> excitement or fullfilment in their lives by> maintaining a satisyingly constant style for years?Your opinion, I believe and accept it as your choice, BUT I think that blanket statements are silly. Hell, I may change my opion, but once you have realized that the only constant is change, you kind of accept it.> HOW you express your opinion can make a great deal of> difference in the way that expression is perceived. It> IS possible to say your piece without the little jabs> at people who don't agree, that's the essence of> civilized discourse.Agreed. Just don't take any of this personally, I have not singled out any individual for harassment at all, that is not what this is about. This is an open discussion forum.L.
Unregistered
Unregistered
> I don't have a "problem" with anyone who> does not assault me or try to interfere with my free> exercise of my rights. Long hair or short, blue, red> or purple, I don't care.> I simply state that, IMO, I find people boring who> keep doing the same old thing year after year after> year.> If you go to your high schools's 20-year reunion, and> everybody still acts the same way they did in high> school, wouldn't you think they were arrested in their> development?> If you go to your high schools's 20-year reunion, and> everybody still has the exact same hairstyle from the> past, wouldn't you think they were arrested in their> development?> My wife is fine anyway that she chooses to look. If> she kept the same old tired style for many years I> would still love her, but I absolutely DO find it> exciting when she makes a change in her appearance!> Last summer. I got tired of paying bozo barbers and> stylists to give me haircuts that I was not happy> with, so I bought electric clippers and buzzed it down> to about 1/4". I was very happy with that then.> Now it is marginally longer, about 3/8" all over.> Easy to keep up with, no hassle at all. Maybe this> year I will go for the mohawk (but my boss may> cringe).> I do respect others opinions. But I still think that> people who are afraid to make a change, or who are> stuck in the past, are BORING.> Shake things up a little, do something different.> Yeah, and IMO, after a few years of this it all begins> to look exactly the same each and every day. Try> something REALLY different, get a new style!> Your choice, no problem. I still have my opinion, not> with regard to your choice of hair style or color, but> in general with respect to people's unwillingness to> change with time.> Look, years from now YOU may change your mind> completely of your own free will. I know that you> probably think that this sounds crazy, but who> knows....people DO change with time, and you are not> now the person that you were ten years ago: you are> older and more mature, and ten years from now you will> be different than you are today.> I guess that what I am saying is: don't ever shut> yourself off to possibilities; don't grow stale and> get stuck in a rut; be open to change.> Agreed. But I still maintain that most normally> developing people will change MANY times during their> lives...this is NORMAL.> WRONG! Color-changing contact lenses are very popular,> and lots of people change their skin color annually:> they get a tan. Lots of people who have very dark skin> take pills to lighten their skin.> Even though these things are hard to chage, people> often make the attempt!> EXACTLY why I say that it is HEALTHY and GOOD for a> relationship to change you look and appearance! People> tend to get bored with the same old thing year after> year after year! Some people have affairs. Most people> choose to stick with their spouse, but like to see> them CHANGE over the years!> It is NOT abnormal at all to change one's appearance!> In fact, I argue that it IS abnormal to hang onto the> same old look year after year....it is called> "arrested development".> For you right now, at this time, change would not be> good. Five years from now, who knows???> BUT, to make a blanket statement "I will never> change, I will never cut my hair" is absurd!> Maybe if you have an addiction, or a compulsive> personality.> Beer belching bozos who act like idiots in front of a> TV set over a football game are EXACTLY the kind of> people I am talking about when I say "arrested> development". They are still acting like> children, not a good analogy if you want to make a> point.> But, if that is how you expect men, and any other> person, to act, then I would not be suprised if you> never make a change to you hair :-)> L.Dear Lurker:You are just unbelievable! lol ( means laughing online okay so that you don't understand this time in life with me)Cutting your hair , letting it grow, coloring it purple, pink will not make you totally make you feel better. Sure it will for a tiny period of time as buying a new perfume, dress etc but in reality it is really an attitude that one needs to change.Maybe for you Lurker you have this need to make these surface changes but when somone is comfortable with themselves they don't always have these great needs and find other little things to do.My husband was a creature of habit. I was married to him for sixteen years. He always had the same haircut, same mustache, same thoughts and predictable. Was he boring? Hell no. HE probably lived more life than you and I will ever . He was a musician etc. He died the begining of January and never can you nor anyone tell me that because he didn't want to change his hairstyle or shave his mustache that he was boring. Hell no . He wasn't boring because he was comfortable with himself.I on the other hand took a hell of long time finding myself with hairstyles, clothes etc. I was ten years younger but I finally found myself. I prefer long hair, I prefer my change of attitude since my husband died. I don't take life seriously anymore. I seriously don't need changes but yes I will change in ten years I will have longer hair. But what will I really change in 5 , 10 years will be my attitude. I will become wiser but no hairstyle will never accomplish this. Life and an positive attitude accomplish what you want period.Diane
Unregistered
Unregistered
> Dear Lurker:> You are just unbelievable! lol ( means laughing online> okay so that you don't understand this time in life> with me)> Cutting your hair , letting it grow, coloring it> purple, pink will not make you totally make you feel> better. Sure it will for a tiny period of time as> buying a new perfume, dress etc but in reality it is> really an attitude that one needs to change.> Maybe for you Lurker you have this need to make these> surface changes but when somone is comfortable with> themselves they don't always have these great needs> and find other little things to do.> My husband was a creature of habit. I was married to> him for sixteen years. He always had the same haircut,> same mustache, same thoughts and predictable. Was he> boring? Hell no. HE probably lived more life than you> and I will ever . He was a musician etc. He died the> begining of January and never can you nor anyone tell> me that because he didn't want to change his hairstyle> or shave his mustache that he was boring. Hell no . He> wasn't boring because he was comfortable with himself.> I on the other hand took a hell of long time finding> myself with hairstyles, clothes etc. I was ten years> younger but I finally found myself. I prefer long> hair, I prefer my change of attitude since my husband> died. I don't take life seriously anymore. I seriously> don't need changes but yes I will change in ten years> I will have longer hair. But what will I really change> in 5 , 10 years will be my attitude. I will become> wiser but no hairstyle will never accomplish this.> Life and an positive attitude accomplish what you want> period.> DianeLurker I read your message to Dawn and I have to say this.Yes you have a right for your opinions but at the same time you should try to see the other side of the coin.You say that people that don't make changes are boring. Well I seriously don't know one person that hasn't grown or became wiser as they got older.Hair is a totally diffirent issue. It like choising if you are a lacy type of person etc. It is part of one personality and choice only . It has nothing to do with character.If you feel a bit corner that is because you made a comment that was totally off base. You are judging people. That would like me saying" hell anyone that calls himself Lurker is not very creative " okay it was my opinion but was it right ? Of course not. It is insulting and it is also insulting to hear such a stupid comment from you saying that keeping long hair for years is boring. Who the heck are you to say that? For all you Dawn is the most exciting person on earth and she always had long hair but with that opinion of yours you limit yourself to whom you would find exciting etc.Diane
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic