Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - From Diane K -- Pressure to keep one's hair short
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

From Diane K -- Pressure to keep one's hair short

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From Diane K -- Pressure to keep one's hair short
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
> > Probably so...> > Ah, let's see... pressure to keep your hair from growing long?>> Ok Dave,> Ill give it a go! One place I worked at the boss told me I needed to> keep up with the lates styles because I was a walking advertisement.> And of coures at the time extremly short was in so I bought into that> theory beacuse in order for me to grow my hair out it would go through> bad stages. And we wouldnt want our stylist to look anything less than> perfect because thats a reflection on the salon.Well Diane, I must say that you are in a unique situation, where yourboss's statements probably held some truth. At one time (in my youngerdays) I worked in a retail clothing store and so I am familiar with theconcept of "needing to keep up appearances" as a walking advertisement.Indeed, the growing-out phase is difficult to accomplish with "grace."Once you were short, growing out was a tricky situation for you in thatposition.> So friends out in cyber space what do you think of your stylist hair?My present stylist has extensions. So while she respects my wishes asfar as how little to trim, she tends to be a bit rough otherwise withmy hair. :-( Maybe if she had her own long hair she might understandthe needs to be more gentle(?)> Would you let a completly bald headed person cut your hair? How about> someone with fire engine red hair?I haven't had the "opportunity" to find out. It would depend largelyupon what I thought of the honesty of their sensitivity to my expressedwishes.However, when I had short hair (many years ago!) I had my hair cut afew times by a guy with a crewcut, who was a former marine. He wouldpush my head around a bit too firmly... and he tended to cut my haira bit shorter than I asked.> ( I also was wild with color. at one point it was scaring customers> away.)Ah yes, the walking billboard issue again :-)Dave
David M Squires
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
> Well Diane, I must say that you are in a unique> situation, where your> boss's statements probably held some truth. At one> time (in my younger> days) I worked in a retail clothing store and so I am> familiar with the> concept of "needing to keep up appearances"> as a walking advertisement.> Indeed, the growing-out phase is difficult to> accomplish with "grace."> Once you were short, growing out was a tricky> situation for you in that> position.> My present stylist has extensions. So while she> respects my wishes as> far as how little to trim, she tends to be a bit rough> otherwise with> my hair. :-( Maybe if she had her own long hair she> might understand> the needs to be more gentle(?)> I haven't had the "opportunity" to find out.> It would depend largely> upon what I thought of the honesty of their> sensitivity to my expressed> wishes.> However, when I had short hair (many years ago!) I had> my hair cut a> few times by a guy with a crewcut, who was a former> marine. He would> push my head around a bit too firmly... and he tended> to cut my hair> a bit shorter than I asked.> Ah yes, the walking billboard issue again :-)> DaveThis is a very good topic. Thank you Diane for starting this.I have to say that when I do search for a stylist I do tend to check out how her/him hair is cut, style and if he or she color it.Wow what pressure a stylist has. IN one way a stylist has no choice to decide how they can wear their hair.Diane
Diane k. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane k. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
> This is a very good topic. Thank you Diane for> starting this.> I have to say that when I do search for a stylist I do> tend to check out how her/him hair is cut, style and> if he or she color it.> Wow what pressure a stylist has. IN one way a stylist> has no choice to decide how they can wear their hair.> DianeDave and Diane (from Canada),Thanks for seeing the other side of the coin. Im seeing alot of the other side myself. Im hoping in some small way I can help change some sterio types abut stylist as well as clients. Hay, were all people got to take the good with the bad.Diane we do have choice about or hair its just limmited sometimes to our suroundings(or bosses). My hope is that people will get past what we(all of us)look like and find out what people are like on the inside. Thats whats great about this board people are more open to things we normaly wouldnt comment on!Dave you are write about some stylist being rough. I used to work with a girl that would give you whiplash in the shampoo bowl! (These are people heads not a pound of bread dough that needs, neading!)It was great talking to you both! Just remember you cant judge a book by that old beet up cover!Happy Healthy Hair,Diane K.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic