Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jane Bullock's Article.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jane Bullock's Article.
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
Jane,I wanted to thank you for such an informative and helpful article. I think you wrote this at just the perfect time for me.I'm an American living in the South of France, and I've been living here for about 5 months now, and things are different here than where I came from, meaning there are a lot of pushy French guys who can't take no for an answer, and they will pull right up to me in their cars and try to get me to go with them in the car-and not take no for an answer straight away, like they at least do back where I came from (a small town). Not to mention just walking up to me and sometimes playing with my hair! Since I'm usually walking home from the main part of the city, I'm usually on my guard but it's still frightening when it happens, and frankly just going into town is a highly stressful time for me. Since my French isn't the greatest yet my Husband advises me not to take a taxi from the ones that wait for customers downtown because there would be no record of it like there would be when I would call for one from home or wherever. This is because of the fear of one of them taking me to a place I don't know and doing who knows what!I know things like this happen everywhere and I have had it happen to me in the States, but it's just 20x more agressive here, and I will be keeping these suggestions for self-defense and a strategy plan in mind when I walk back from town. ( I could just take the bus back like I do when I go in to town, but I do like my walks home for the exercise and walking in the beautiful park behind my apartment complex, which usually has a decent amount of people in it). I just hope that since this seems to be in many ways a sexist nation, that if I did take my part with somebody that the law would be on MY side and not the man's- I WILL find out! Thanks again for a great article.Holly
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
> Jane,> I wanted to thank you for such an informative and> helpful article. I think you wrote this at just the> perfect time for me.> I'm an American living in the South of France, and> I've been living here for about 5 months now, and> things are different here than where I came from,> meaning there are a lot of pushy French guys who can't> take no for an answer, and they will pull right up to> me in their cars and try to get me to go with them in> the car-and not take no for an answer straight away,> like they at least do back where I came from (a small> town). Not to mention just walking up to me and> sometimes playing with my hair! Since I'm usually> walking home from the main part of the city, I'm> usually on my guard but it's still frightening when it> happens, and frankly just going into town is a highly> stressful time for me. Since my French isn't the> greatest yet my Husband advises me not to take a taxi> from the ones that wait for customers downtown because> there would be no record of it like there would be> when I would call for one from home or wherever. This> is because of the fear of one of them taking me to a> place I don't know and doing who knows what!> I know things like this happen everywhere and I have> had it happen to me in the States, but it's just 20x> more agressive here, and I will be keeping these> suggestions for self-defense and a strategy plan in> mind when I walk back from town. ( I could just take> the bus back like I do when I go in to town, but I do> like my walks home for the exercise and walking in the> beautiful park behind my apartment complex, which> usually has a decent amount of people in it). I just> hope that since this seems to be in many ways a sexist> nation, that if I did take my part with somebody that> the law would be on MY side and not the man's- I WILL> find out! Thanks again for a great article.> HollyI really enjoy her article. The other day I was talking to my boyfriend about the reasons why some female shave their hair and I didn't realize that one of the reasons is because they feel that when we have long hair it gives a way for men to grab us. I never thought about it. NOt that I am saying that men do such things but I guess I am saying it wouldn't hurt to know how to defend ourselves period.Everyone has the right to wear their hair they want to and noone has that right to go past one space and grab hair etc.Diane
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic