Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do some hairstyle really make your eyes sore to look at them?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do some hairstyle really make your eyes sore to look at them?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:55pm
> I dunno. I am kind of beginnig to feel that this is> more like the "hair nazis"> around here: you can say what you want about "bad> hairstyles" or "hair that> offends you" as long as most in the audience> agree....> BUT, voice an opinion that is "out of> bounds" and you get scorched!!Just avoid the telling people how they should feel and you'll do better> Yeah, people don't like to even think about the idea> of long hair eventually> getting old and boring, but it is OK to criticize> people who put mousse in their> hair. YADA YADA YADAYou are welcome to your opinion, and to express it. But be aware thatin expressing it, you potentially open yourself up to criticism.I am similarly "at risk" in that regard as well. Everybody who postshere is.At some point, though, a sentient person may ask themselves what'swrong with the following picture, AND WHY: "Gee, nobody else ever getsflamed, but it's always ME who get flamed."> Hmmm....when people have said ANYTHING about long hair> that is can even> be remotely perceived as negative they get shot down> pretty quick....I'm not aware that this has happened here. Can you give examples?
David M Squires
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:55pm
> Okay, I'm not going to take sides here, but I'm going> to offer my viewpoint. Depending on when you hook up> with this board and which messages you read, it can> seem VERY long-hair dominant. It was the long-hair> issue that resulted in the institution of Hair> Politics, because people were coming to virtual blows> over it.Perhaps it seems like a long-hair dominant place because some of uswith long hair have congregated here to talk "hair" politics?> I've seen posts that read something like this:> "Last night while I was applying my usual> treatment of imported tea tree oil to my scalp, a> 50-50 preparation of Aveda Curessance and Nexxus> Humectress to my midshaft, and olive oil to my ends, I> happened to catch Sandra Bullock on an MTV Interview.> "She had chopped at LEAST an inch and a half off> her gorgeous hair! That's THREE MONTHS of growth down> the drain, thanks no doubt to some Hollywood butcher> who snuck into her dressing room, sedated her, and> then knelt on her chest while he gave her that> disfiguring trim! I am putting together an electronic> sympathy card for Sandra, so please contact me if you> would like to sign it.> "Meanwhile, I'm having problems of my own at> work. My boss keeps pressuring me to cut my hair or at> least put it up all the time, because it's not> professional, etc. I say that just because I work in a> manufacturing plant doesn't mean I have to look like> everyone around me, and if my hair keeps getting> tangled in the airplane engines, that's my business!> Better maimed than shorn, I say!> "And of course, I caught at least THREE people> looking at my hair on the subway this morning. Well,> I'm tired of feeling like a spectacle, so I finally> say, 'What are you STARING at?'> "And this one guy says, 'Do you realize your hair> is caught in your bootlaces, spilling into the aisle,> and smothering the child in the next seat?" And> I'm like, 'How rude!' (I should mention that his> girlfriend had one of those BOBS that are so popular> was OBVIOUSLY threatened.)> "It was worse than the time that hairstylist in> the next chair came THREE FEET from me with her> blowdryer."ROTFLOL! You have a very sharp sense of wit and humor, Ally.Of course... the examples are grossly overstated conversations(to humorous effect, though). Apparently it hasn't been so boringthat it has caused you to want to leave...? :-) Perhaps you wouldlike to initiate some new and different topics?> Okay, it's not that bad. But if you're not a long-hair> totalitarian, it can be intimidating.Am I partly to "blame?" for your feeling this way? If so, I'm sorrythat you feel this way, but I feel very strongly about some of thetopics discussed here, and I am not afraid to express my thoughts onthem.Dave
David M Squires
Dave View Drop Down

> I find it entertaining how the long hair proponents> are just as passionate as the short hair proponents on> other boards. And the majority of each don't> understand the other and look at them with derision as> misguided fanatics.Just because I have a strong appreciation for long hair does notimply that I cannot be objective (unbiased) in discussion of manyissues.> Maybe we could settle this by calling MTV and setting> up a Celebrity Death Match tag team fight with Crystal> Gayle and Roma Downey vs Susan Powter and Sinead> O'Connor...LOL! Good one, JerkyFleaDave
David M Squires
Zorak the Frisbee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak the Frisbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:55pm
> You sought to *get people to "admit"* that they will> change their hair hair some day.My argument merely states that it is silly for people to claim they will NEVER change, or will NEVER desire to change. Nobody can really say how they will feel a year from now, much less a decade from now.> It's like twisting arms. It's a bully technique.No it isn't, it is just a point of debate, actually more like a point of philosophy. I will agree that a person can feel like they will never want to change, but I also argue that this is simply a kind of self-delusional contrivance.Life experience brings change and a desire to change.> Perhaps some day YOU will change and realize how> offensive your approach has been.I have made concessions in the name of civility. I stopped using the "B" word because it offends some. But, I will still argue that an individual who believes they will never change is not being honest with themselves.Z.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak the Frisbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:55pm
> I can't speak for others on the subject, but what you> seem to object to is a the extent of a person's will and> determination to have what they want.I really don't care if a person has long hair or short hair, red, green, blue or purple hair, or no hair at all.My whole point is that it is just kind of silly to see people write stuff about NEVER EVER changing their hairstyle. You don't know how you might feel next year or even six months from now.Life brings changes...go with 'em.> ....I really don't see the point to try to tear down> their resolve, yet that seems to be what you intend to do.NEGATIVE. I don't want to "tear down anybody's resolve".I just want people to honestly examine themselves and think about what has been said with respect to "never ever" changing their hair. It is just not realistic for a person to say "never" about this kind of thing, because you just don't know what the next year or two will bring.> Understand that if I am firmly resolved...and you try...> to stand in my way, then you will be brushed aside.Well, Dave, I have no desire to impede your headlong march to your heart's desire. Send us a post card when you arrive.But honestly, you sound like Marvin the Martian with that "brushed aside" stuff :-) Take it easy, OK? This is a friendly discussion!Z.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:55pm
> My argument merely states that it is silly for people> to claim they will NEVER change, or will NEVER desire> to change. Nobody can really say how they will feel a> year from now, much less a decade from now.> No it isn't, it is just a point of debate, actually> more like a point of philosophy. I will agree that a> person can feel like they will never want to change,> but I also argue that this is simply a kind of> self-delusional contrivance.> Life experience brings change and a desire to change.> I have made concessions in the name of civility. I> stopped using the "B" word because it> offends some. But, I will still argue that an> individual who believes they will never change is not> being honest with themselves.> Z.Dear Zorak the frisbie:You want to talk about philosophy hell you are talking the right girl. I am very much a philosophy person in nature plus I love pyschology. I would love having your email address so that we can actually continue this discussion in great details okay?Yes the bottom line is that everyone changes without realizing it but it is mostly their personalities that changes and in some people the change doesn't really show up very much. For example my husband never change his taste in clothes and hairstyles but his attitude in life did. I almost gave him a heart attack one year when I turn 30 threw out all my clothes and bought new clothes that met my new taste. Poor guy thought I was having an affair . Yes I was having an affair with myself. I lost weight and i wanted to new me to come out and I love this new me.Yes in the respect I change drastically and he didn't and it cause lots of problems for us.But really Zorak the frisbie there is also committement . I am committed to the same religion, to the same values, to my children. I am committed to the goals that I set to become a better person etc.But when I say I will never cut my hair that is a committment that I made to myself. A goal that I never accomplish in life. Hell I was born with no hair so for once in my lifetime I want to be really hairy and have hair down to my knees. I want to follow my greatgrandmother beliefs . She was victorian.So yes I am very much true in my goals when I say I am not cutting my hair.I know what I want in life and I go after it and I don't stop until I reach my goals.Diane
Unregistered
Unregistered
> Dear Zorak the frisbie:> I would love having your email address so that we can> actually continue this discussion in great details okay?Nyet...I don't give out my e-mail address. We can discuss this in a public forum (here) so that everyone can contribute.> ...when I turn 30 threw out all my clothes and bought new> clothes that met my new taste.This is the kind of change that I am talking about! Two years before you did this, you probably would never have thought that you would do this, but the time came and you did what you felt at the moment. What you had very firmly believed previously made no difference when you decided it was time to change.> .....I was having an affair with myself. I lost weight> and i wanted to new me to come out and I love this new me.Good for you!!! This is exactly what I am talking about!> I am committed to the same religion, to the same valuesThese things can change too! You may not know it now, but they can change...> to my children.Hey, you love your kids no matter what they do, but that doesnt' mean that you will never be at odds with them. There will come times in your life when they say and do things that will make you cringe in shock and embarrassment. But they are individuals, not always subject to your control.> I am committed to the goals that I set to become a better> person etc.Yes, but what you consider "better" may change drastically.> for once in my lifetime I want to be really hairy and> have hair down to my knees.Sure. And you *may* change you mind some time in the future.> I want to follow my greatgrandmother beliefs . She was> victorian.Yeah, I want to be like my great-to-the-20th-power grandfather....he was a caveman :-)> So yes I am very much true in my goals when I say I am> not cutting my hair.That is fine. I don't care. This has become a discussion where you and others somehow think that I am a nazi who is breaking down your resolve. Not true. I just want people to know that change does occur, and it is OK.Z.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:55pm
Hi, Diane!I had to drop you a note here. Personally, I don't agree with Z. about men and nails, whether they be finger- or toenails. I have known several men who enjoy painting a woman's finger- and toenails. Like your "petit ami," my boyfriend likes painting toenails, too. I don't think my toenails have ever been painted so perfectly. Takes a ton of patience, but why question:)As an aside, I would say both men and women alike are drawn to vibrant skin, as well.Happy Mother's Day!Bye for now,Jade21I was laughing so much so it took some time for me to> respond but I have to say this.> If the topic was feet it might be diffirent then the> nail one because I actually had experience from a man> that was upset with me because I wouldn't send any> pictures of my feet and he is doctor in france and he> has a feet fetish. nOw I thought he might be the only> one but you know what ? Heck my new male friend been> studying my feet and wants to paint the toe nails.> Okay I just thought I would share this to make some> people laugh.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:55pm
> Nyet...I don't give out my e-mail address. We can> discuss this in a public forum (here) so that everyone> can contribute.The only reason I am asking you for your email address is because you seem to go off track on the hair topic about changes etc and it doesn't belong on the hair boutique so I wanted to give you a chance to really discuss. No skin off my nose if you don't want to give me your address. Diane from Canada> This is the kind of change that I am talking about!> Two years before you did this, you probably would> never have thought that you would do this, but the> time came and you did what you felt at the moment.> What you had very firmly believed previously made no> difference when you decided it was time to change.Look two years before I didn't make any goals about hair or anything of the sort. It was a natural change of nature period. NOthing to do with my hair goals. Diane from Canada>> Yes, but what you consider "better" may> change drastically.NO it won't. I have set goals for myself in life to serve the poor. To become wiser , kinder etc period. I am preparing myself mentally and will with education for these goals. I am very strick with myself. I walk a straght line in life period. I know exactly what I will be going in five to ten years from now. Diane from Canada> Sure. And you *may* change you mind some time in the> future.The only change that I will make is when my children are growing up and I have to adapt to that and when they leave me etc. Maybe I will remarry etc. Those are the fact of life and they are changes but they are not my goals. My goals I don't change. Diane from Canada> Yeah, I want to be like my great-to-the-20th-power> grandfather....he was a caveman :-)I fine you very insensitive with this if you are poking fun at me. My greatgrandmother was a hell of a woman and she was very beautiful and her strength in character was very admire. Diane from Canada> That is fine. I don't care. This has become a> discussion where you and others somehow think that I> am a nazi who is breaking down your resolve. Not true.> I just want people to know that change does occur, and> it is OK.I would like to borrow your 20th power grandfather caveman bat and hit you with it because it seem that you really don't get the point do you and you are getting frustrating.Maybe I should try communicating with you in another language because you don't seem to get the message in english.I never called a nazi so I don't appreciate you labeling me that way. You wouldn't be able to break any of my goals if your life depended on it because I am very strong in character and I know what I want . Yes I always agree with you that changes occur but goals are diffirent. My goals have never changed and will never change. Diane from CanadaLook Zorak the frisbie, you are an interesting character but you are missing the message I am telling you.Diane
Unregistered
Unregistered
> Look two years before I didn't make any goals about> hair or anything of the sort...I have set goals for> myself in life...I am very strick with myself. I walk> a straght line in life period. I know exactly what I> will be going in five to ten years from now.> My goals I don't change...My goals have never changed and> will never change. Diane from CanadaOK....you win. I give up. Uncle. I am beaten and I know it. You are the winner.> I fine you very insensitive with this if you are> poking fun at me.It was intended as a harmless joke, I even put the :-) in there so you would see that is is a joke.> I would like to borrow your 20th power grandfather> caveman bat and hit you with it...> I never called a nazi so I don't appreciate you> labeling me that way.I never called anyone a nazi, I said that *I* have been made out to sound like a nazi.I think that is is time to put this thread to a peaceful rest. I think that is has degenerated into a bunch of misunderstandings and such. Thus, I quit this topic of discussion.Z.
Unregistered
Unregistered
> OK....you win. I give up. Uncle. I am beaten and I> know it. You are the winner.Hey Zorak the frisbie. I have nothing against you really and I never felt you were acting like a nazi or anything of the sorts. Actuallly I found you really brought up some excellent points in all your discussions.>
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
> But fingernails are just not the same. How many guys> have you known that wanted to touch your fingernails,> or wanted to pamper and brush your fingernails?The analogy was a joke. And if some guy wanted to brush my fingernails, he'd probably get scratched.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
> Nyet...I don't give out my e-mail address. We can> discuss this in a public forum (here) so that everyone> can contribute.I can certainly understand, but you can always get a web-based address from yahoo.com, hotmail.com, rocketmail.com, etc which will give you more privacy if you're concerned about that. And I have a selfish reason for mentioning it. I'd like to ask you a question privately.Anyway, just a thought for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic