Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just a polite request:)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just a polite request:)
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
Hi Folks,I know I'm not Karen or Jeff, and this isn't my page to handle as I please, but I was just wondering if I could nicely ask if people would not take God's name in vain when posting? I can't be the only one who gets offended by this. To tell you the truth, I'd rather see any swear word other than this(not that I advocate swearing!) but I've seen a request for the "B" word not to be used, so I wanted to politely ask my request as well. I sure would appreciate it! :)Thanks so much,Holly
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
> Hi Folks,> I know I'm not Karen or Jeff, and this isn't my page> to handle as I please, but I was just wondering if I> could nicely ask if people would not take God's name> in vain when posting? I can't be the only one who gets> offended by this. To tell you the truth, I'd rather> see any swear word other than this(not that I advocate> swearing!) but I've seen a request for the> "B" word not to be used, so I wanted to> politely ask my request as well. I sure would> appreciate it! :)> Thanks so much,> HollyHello Holly:I was trying figure out what you meant by that? Was it me?Personally I don't believe I have .
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
Diane,Hi! No, it wasn't you, it was Zorak - I noticed he said it in a reply I think to one of your threads. So I just thought I'd ask if people could please not say that. Actually that is the first time I think I have seen it.I just thought of something... do you mean that I thought you had said this, or that you requested the B-word not be said? Because I can't remember who requested the B-word not be said.ThanksHolly
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
> Diane,> Hi! No, it wasn't you, it was Zorak - I noticed he> said it in a reply I think to one of your threads. So> I just thought I'd ask if people could please not say> that. Actually that is the first time I think I have> seen it.> I just thought of something... do you mean that I> thought you had said this, or that you requested the> B-word not be said? Because I can't remember who> requested the B-word not be said.> Thanks> HollyI was just concern that I was the one that offended you about God so I was checking all my postings etc.and noone really ask for the Boring word to be off limits. He thinks that we ask but we didn't.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
Diane,I didn't even know that was what the B-word was for :) Since I didn't really what all was going on with that thread I assumed the B-word was for a swear word.Well glas we got that straightened out :)Take care and thanks for your concern,Holly
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
Holly--I'll do my best to keep your sensibilities in mind, but I've gotta say it's getting a little stuffy in here. Words like "God," "Gods," "My Lord!" and "fer crissakes" are part of most people's repertoire of expressions.I regularly invoke the name of my diety, who by astonishing coincidence, also goes by "God."I'll refrain as a courtesy--not because I feel I should have to.Ally
Holly View Drop Down

Ally,I wasn't saying you HAD to do anything-if you want to be ignorant and swear, you don't have to answer to me. If you want to think you're being cute and witty for everybody with this dig towards me, then go ahead. When has it become "stuffy" for people to have manners and not use profanity-at least I didn't say to stop saying other swear words completely, not that it would have been wrong to ask.Like I wrote in the posting, it was just a polite request, but frankly knowing how some people are, I expected the same tired, old remarks.You sound like I meant you-I've never read it in your posts, till now after you had to write out everything I just (politely, I might add)asked not to-so much for "courtesy". Like I said before in my posting, I don't own this page so I don't have the right to make people do things, I know that, it was just a REQUEST so why say "not because I feel I should have to" ? No one said you HAD to stop anything.I just want to end this saying I think we have more funniness and interesting conversation without the swearing- so it's not hindering anything by leaving out God's name.Thanks to everyone who just shows respect for others without a big production about it.Holly
Holly View Drop Down

Ally,I wasn't saying you HAD to do anything-if you want to be ignorant and swear, you don't have to answer to me. If you want to think you're being cute and witty for everybody with this dig towards me, then go ahead. When has it become "stuffy" for people to have manners and not use profanity-at least I didn't say to stop saying other swear words completely, not that it would have been wrong to ask.Like I wrote in the posting, it was just a polite request, but frankly knowing how some people are, I expected the same tired, old remarks.You sound like I meant you-I've never read it in your posts, till now after you had to write out everything I just (politely, I might add)asked not to-so much for "courtesy". Like I said before in my posting, I don't own this page so I don't have the right to make people do things, I know that, it was just a REQUEST so why say "not because I feel I should have to" ? No one said you HAD to stop anything.I just want to end this saying I think we have more funniness and interesting conversation without the swearing- so it's not hindering anything by leaving out God's name.Thanks to everyone who just shows respect for others without a big production about it.Holly
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
Holly--My point is that to many people--me included--exclaiming "Oh, my God!" is NOT profanity. Obscenity is one thing. Colloquialisms are quite another.That's not being "ignorant." It's called "not sharing your religious views."So what if you phrased it as a request? You're still asking, under the auspices of religion, that we censor ourselves--and to a degree stricter than that imposed by the FCC. In this situation, Zorak's freedom to express himself is paramount to your taste in language. I think your "request," though well intended, is oppressive and intrusive.Maybe I'm not supposed to show defiance in the face of such demure politeness, but I call it like I see it.That's all.Ally
Holly View Drop Down

Look this wasn't intended to start any arguments and obviously that's what you want to do, but this is the last posting that I am going to write about it.Yes I don't like any kind of mis-use of God's name - you're right about that. If I had my way, yes, I would be stricter than the FCC. However, what prompted me to request this was a posting by Zorak which wasn't "my ' '", but something else, I don't have to write it out for you to know what I mean.I am going to end this right here. I'm not interested in having the last word, I'm just not going to keep debating this. If you have to have the last word then go ahead. It was a request, that's all. It doesn't seem so far that anyone else has a problem with this.Holly
Zorak the Frisbee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak the Frisbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
> ....I've gotta say it's getting a little stuffy in> here. Words like "God," "Gods," "My Lord!" and "fer> crissakes" are part of most people's repertoire of> expressions....I regularly invoke the name of my diety,> who by astonishing coincidence, also goes by "God."> I'll refrain as a courtesy--not because I feel I> should have to.As the individual who has been accused of starting this whole shebang, I too will try to refrain from using names of any dieties or prophetic figures in any way that might be offensive to an individual.But, in defense of my own actions, I will say that I do not consider it profane to use words such as "God", "gods", "Jesus", "Zeus", etc in ways that are not directly denegrating to the diety involved.For example, to use the words in question in the context that Ally has given above: I would not consider these any kind of profanity. It would have to be a very strong abuse of any of these words before I would consider it "profane".Z.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
Hi, Holly!I read your "polite request" and accepted it as such.I am not a fan of foul language and believe, as you do, that resorting to such is just a mark of ignorance. If you've got a good vocabulary, you don't need to use it. You can make a point, including giving a person a good slam, without ever using any.I also do not agree with Ally that the use of the "Oh, G." phrase is so common in ordinary conversation. I can remember hearing much more of the use of it when I was a teenager. Here, we have a chance to type and hopefully give more thought to issues than we would if we were just having a conversation. Personally, I only use the phrase when I am talking or even screaming to God. This is just so that He hears me. I think He gets most of my messages:)Lastly, I think that the use of foul language is miniscule here. That's a pleasure! I'm sure that it will continue.Take care of yourself and continue to post. I'm always glad to see you here:)All the Best,Jade21> I know I'm not Karen or Jeff, and this isn't my page> to handle as I please, but I was just wondering if I> could nicely ask if people would not take God's name> in vain when posting? I can't be the only one who gets> offended by this. To tell you the truth, I'd rather> see any swear word other than this(not that I advocate> swearing!) but I've seen a request for the> "B" word not to be used, so I wanted to> politely ask my request as well. I sure would> appreciate it! :)> Thanks so much,> Holly
Holly View Drop Down

Hi Jade,Always glad to see your informative postings, too-especially this one! :))I know I wrote to Ally saying I wasn't going to keep postingabout this subject, but when I read your posting, some of the things you said was like you were reading my mind! :))> I am not a fan of foul language and believe, as you> do, that resorting to such is just a mark of> ignorance. If you've got a good vocabulary, you don't> need to use it. You can make a point, including giving> a person a good slam, without ever using any.This is exactly right.> I also do not agree with Ally that the use of the> "Oh, G." phrase is so common in ordinary> conversation. I can remember hearing much more of the> use of it when I was a teenager. Here, we have a> chance to type and hopefully give more thought to> issues than we would if we were just having a> conversation. Personally, I only use the phrase when I> am talking or even screaming to God. This is just so> that He hears me. I think He gets most of my> messages:)I was thinking this as well. I don't think it's as common as Ally says the use of it is. Even if it is common, does that make it right? Not to me. Oh, and don't worry Jade, He gets ALL of your messages:))I was thinking just as you were how we do have a chance to give more thought to our wording when we are typing than just speaking in ordinary conversation, so when we are typing out a profanity, it's even more offensive than if you said it vocally.> Lastly, I think that the use of foul language is> miniscule here. That's a pleasure! I'm sure that it> will continue.Yes, I think I said there really hasn't been much of any kind profanity to Diane in an earlier post. That's why when I saw the profanity I was taken aback.I'm not trying to tell people how to live their lives, just asking them to respect a request not to do something that is offensive to some. I noticed Ally wrote that the request is intrusive, but how can it be intrusive when these postings are a public conversation (public forum, if you will) that everyone can participate in? So since these discussions include everybody who reads them, to me it's not intrusive to ask this request. We got along without it before, so why start now? Any profanity looks like you don't know how to communicate intellegently, and I'd rather not see any profanity at all, but I didn't want to seem like I was asking to put the brakes on every manner of speaking, as some may see it as asking too much. So because I'm a Christian, any misuse of the Lord's name is what really offends me, so I just wanted to make a request about it before it continued.Thanks Jade for accepting the request, and for all of your input as well! I appreciate it so much!Take care, and thanks again,Holly
Holly View Drop Down

Zorak,I don't agree but thanks for respecting my wishes.Nothing personal about mentioning your name. I wouldn't have even mentioned it but Diane was worried it was her, and also couldn't figure out where I had seen it.Like I wrote to Ally, I'm not looking to debate, so I'll just end my post here.Thanks again,Holly
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
Holly,Thanks for that special word from you. I also wanted to tell you that I'm glad to know that there are plenty of God's children in the world and you are an especially nice one.Later,Jade21Hi Jade,> Always glad to see your informative postings,> too-especially this one! :))> I know I wrote to Ally saying I wasn't going to keep> posting> about this subject, but when I read your posting, some> of the things you said was like you were reading my> mind! :))> This is exactly right.> I was thinking this as well. I don't think it's as> common as Ally says the use of it is. Even if it is> common, does that make it right? Not to me. Oh, and> don't worry Jade, He gets ALL of your messages:))> I was thinking just as you were how we do have a> chance to give more thought to our wording when we are> typing than just speaking in ordinary conversation, so> when we are typing out a profanity, it's even more> offensive than if you said it vocally.> Yes, I think I said there really hasn't been much of> any kind profanity to Diane in an earlier post. That's> why when I saw the profanity I was taken aback.> I'm not trying to tell people how to live their lives,> just asking them to respect a request not to do> something that is offensive to some. I noticed Ally> wrote that the request is intrusive, but how can it be> intrusive when these postings are a public> conversation (public forum, if you will) that everyone> can participate in? So since these discussions include> everybody who reads them, to me it's not intrusive to> ask this request. We got along without it before, so> why start now? Any profanity looks like you don't know> how to communicate intellegently, and I'd rather not> see any profanity at all, but I didn't want to seem> like I was asking to put the brakes on every manner of> speaking, as some may see it as asking too much. So> because I'm a Christian, any misuse of the Lord's name> is what really offends me, so I just wanted to make a> request about it before it continued.> Thanks Jade for accepting the request, and for all of> your input as well! I appreciate it so much!> Take care, and thanks again,> Holly
Cheryl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheryl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
> Holly--> I'll do my best to keep your sensibilities in mind,> but I've gotta say it's getting a little stuffy in> here. Words like "God," "Gods,"> "My Lord!" and "fer crissakes" are> part of most people's repertoire of expressions.> I regularly invoke the name of my diety, who by> astonishing coincidence, also goes by "God."> I'll refrain as a courtesy--not because I feel I> should have to.> AllyIt's all in how you use His name and thankgoodness He reads the heart and the intention. Manythanks for your courtesy.. Cher~
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:57pm
There is a comment that I would like to make on an assumption or insinuation that I read during this thread. That is: that people who use "swear" words are ignorant, or have a limited vocabulary. For myself, there have been some mighty painful situations that I have been in this last year, and I have CHOSEN to use such words. It was consciously chosen. And at the time, no other words seemed to fit. I do not consider myself ignorant, nor do I feel that I have a limited vocabulary.I know that this does not have to do with hair, but I guess I felt important enough to post, because I would like people to at least reexamine their assumptions. I guess, for me, people do not fit into neat little "categories". I know that I don't.Thanks for listening.Clare> Hi Folks,> I know I'm not Karen or Jeff, and this isn't my page> to handle as I please, but I was just wondering if I> could nicely ask if people would not take God's name> in vain when posting? I can't be the only one who gets> offended by this. To tell you the truth, I'd rather> see any swear word other than this(not that I advocate> swearing!) but I've seen a request for the> "B" word not to be used, so I wanted to> politely ask my request as well. I sure would> appreciate it! :)> Thanks so much,> Holly
Clare
Dawn from RareGems View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn from RareGems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:57pm
I love this post Clare! You are always as wise as you are beautiful. I'll throw my towel in with you on this matter, since I consider myself as capable as any in the verbiage department and yet, well, sometimes a bit of the profane can be more powerful, descriptive and effective than a whole paragraph of tact. As you observed, the essential criteria is if a person can choose between various language alternatives, rather than simply resorting to the profane in every circumstance because they have no other verbal tools.I'm not advocating that we begin a barrage of expletives in order to get our messages across here in this forum, but I agree that it is myopic to categorize any and all use of profanity as somehow the sole domain of the ignorant. We are many layered beings, sublime and profane.The most ridiculous part of this whole thread is actually the fact that the dreaded "B" word being referred to was "boring", not "bitch". (Don't ask, its a long story!!) Someone jumped in in midstream and made an assumption about the preceding posts and the ensuing misunderstanding lead to its own stream of innanity, none of it hair related. Ah well, such is the nature of public debate.Thanks for sharing your comments Clare!Very best wishes to all,Dawn> There is a comment that I would like to make on an> assumption or insinuation that I read during this> thread. That is: that people who use "swear"> words are ignorant, or have a limited vocabulary. For> myself, there have been some mighty painful situations> that I have been in this last year, and I have CHOSEN> to use such words. It was consciously chosen. And at> the time, no other words seemed to fit. I do not> consider myself ignorant, nor do I feel that I have a> limited vocabulary.> I know that this does not have to do with hair, but I> guess I felt important enough to post, because I would> like people to at least reexamine their assumptions. I> guess, for me, people do not fit into neat little> "categories". I know that I don't.> Thanks for listening.> Clare
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:00pm
This must be in reference to my posting to Ally and Jade's posting as well.What can I say, Clare and Dawn, it does look ignorant and many people think that as well. I hope I'm not sounding like I know it all, that's not what I'm trying to do. I know how life can be sometimes, but the better way is to talk TO God and not throw his name around in vain. It's sad enough that you can't even go to a movie without it being said, and even television sometimes. I just thought raising attention to it would prevent it happenning further. I hope my intentions were understood, I just wanted to ask a request. Nothing else.Thank you,Holly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic