Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why are we so shy talking about hair and when we do some people think it is a fetish?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why are we so shy talking about hair and when we do some people think it is a fetish?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are we so shy talking about hair and when we do some people think it is a fetish?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:57pm
Noone actually comes out and has to their friends" I love hair"We normally says things like" oh i am growing out my hair, I am changing my hair color, I am trying something new" and all that is expected but when we actually say" hey I happen to love hair then we are accuse of being fetish. I have been accuse of having a hair fetish in the past.When a baby is born one of the questions we normally ask is does the baby have hair and what color..When the baby grows up we are still interested in her/his hair color and take pictures of the baby for memories of his/her childhood.As that child grows up we are still interested in seeing how thick or thin their hair is and what color is it changing.When the child is growing up we are comparing pictures and we notice if the hair got darker or lighter.During all this we have shown an interest in hair but noone dares to say" I love hair"As adults we become more aggresive and we announce our passion for our hair and all of sudden we hear" gee you have a hair fetish etc"I remember the reaction of my coffee buddies when I asked one of them to take some pictures of my hair. I think she felt that I must have fell off my rocker because it was out of my character as I am more in pyschology etc. and when I joke around and said" oh I want to be a weekly hair goddess" well she asked me if I was participating a hair contest.I couldn't just love hair for her she felt there needed to be a reason for my actions lolWhen one thinks of it the internet didn't bring out of those hair web sites it was there all the along in our hearts.We shown this passion when the baby grew up and we seen this passion with our grandmother, greatmothers that actually kept their lenght of hair as a memory in a hope chest or on a wall.I find it frustrating that when we express a love for hair that people automatically think it is a fetish yet it is so natural. We are born with hair. Well some of us are. I was born bald.It is very natural to have this passion for hair.
andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:57pm
Hey Diane,One: I don't agree that we are shy about talking about hair, after all we have three message boards on one site running full-tilt about it! Futhermore I think this is mirrored in real life, people often discuss hairstyles among their friends and a person with particularly 'radical' hair, either in terms of length or colour often has it commented on.Two: I don't think that most people automatically assume that if one is interested in hair then one has a fetish. If that were true then everybody who posts to hairboutique or works in a salon or chats to our friends about their hair would be under suspicion! However there are people for whom hair is a fetish subject and there is no denying this. I reckon somebody who says to a friend "gee your hair is so long, how long did you take to grow it" probably isn't doing so for sexual reasons.andy
Diane k. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane k. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:57pm
> Noone actually comes out and has to their> friends" I love hair"> We normally says things like" oh i am growing out> my hair, I am changing my hair color, I am trying> something new" and all that is expected but when> we actually say" hey I happen to love hair then> we are accuse of being fetish. I have been accuse of> having a hair fetish in the past.> When a baby is born one of the questions we normally> ask is does the baby have hair and what color..> When the baby grows up we are still interested in> her/his hair color and take pictures of the baby for> memories of his/her childhood.> As that child grows up we are still interested in> seeing how thick or thin their hair is and what color> is it changing.> When the child is growing up we are comparing pictures> and we notice if the hair got darker or lighter.> During all this we have shown an interest in hair but> noone dares to say" I love hair"> As adults we become more aggresive and we announce our> passion for our hair and all of sudden we hear"> gee you have a hair fetish etc"> I remember the reaction of my coffee buddies when I> asked one of them to take some pictures of my hair. I> think she felt that I must have fell off my rocker> because it was out of my character as I am more in> pyschology etc. and when I joke around and said"> oh I want to be a weekly hair goddess" well she> asked me if I was participating a hair contest.> I couldn't just love hair for her she felt there> needed to be a reason for my actions lol> When one thinks of it the internet didn't bring out of> those hair web sites it was there all the along in our> hearts.> We shown this passion when the baby grew up and we> seen this passion with our grandmother, greatmothers> that actually kept their lenght of hair as a memory in> a hope chest or on a wall.> I find it frustrating that when we express a love for> hair that people automatically think it is a fetish> yet it is so natural. We are born with hair. Well some> of us are. I was born bald.> It is very natural to have this passion for hair.Diane,I LOVE HAIR!I argee with your point some people are afriad for whatever the reason to say that they love there hair. I love all hair. Did you know that all hair textures feel diferent? Hair is like art! It has a feel and a flow and color bueaty just like art. And every head is completly diferent from the nexed no two paintings are ever the same and neigther are heads of hair. Im a hairstylist that loves hair! Theres nothing else like it so be proud of it and take care of it and if it please you grow (or cut it) it until the cows come home!:) Just the way I feel! If It makes a fetish out of me so what. I now in my heart that I love hair for all the right reasons and no one can take that from me! :)Have a great hair day!!Happy heathy hair,Diane K.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic