Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wear it for?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RiverRat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiverRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wear it for?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:57pm
I am new to the site and certainly do not want to get involved in the current discussion - I do have a question concerning a person's hair. Who do you feel you should wear a particular hairstyle for? (yourself, other people, a combination...) Don't answer yet. My wife and I have a difference of opinion. I believe that a person should wear his/her hair to best please your spouse/friends... to a high degree. If a particular style is best suited for that person (which is "backed up" by other people's opinion) shouldn't you tell that person and encourage her to try it?Wouldn't the "compliments" from friends... serve a purpose to boost confidence? I certainly see her side, to some degree. She believes it should be up to the individual - to what that person feels most comfortable with. Unfortunately, when I don't "drool" over her chosen hairstyle she gets mad. When she wears a hairstyle I really like on her and "drool" she gets mad because she doesn't like the hairstyle and doesn't want me to show how much I like it. We have tried to find a compromise but she can't find a style she likes. Sorry I rambled so long but I feel you got the "jest" of it - curious to see the opinions of others.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:57pm
> I am new to the site and certainly do not want to get> involved in the current discussion - I do have a> question concerning a person's hair. Who do you feel> you should wear a particular hairstyle for? (yourself,> other people, a combination...) Don't answer yet. My> wife and I have a difference of opinion. I believe> that a person should wear his/her hair to best please> your spouse/friends... to a high degree. If a> particular style is best suited for that person (which> is "backed up" by other people's opinion)> shouldn't you tell that person and encourage her to> try it?> Wouldn't the "compliments" from friends...> serve a purpose to boost confidence? I certainly see> her side, to some degree. She believes it should be up> to the individual - to what that person feels most> comfortable with. Unfortunately, when I don't> "drool" over her chosen hairstyle she gets> mad. When she wears a hairstyle I really like on her> and "drool" she gets mad because she doesn't> like the hairstyle and doesn't want me to show how> much I like it. We have tried to find a compromise but> she can't find a style she likes. Sorry I rambled so> long but I feel you got the "jest" of it -> curious to see the opinions of others.HelloTough question and you are not the only one that has experience this.I guess it depend on the person's personality and what they want.Personally I would try hairstyles that would suit my looks and then I would hope that the person on my life would like it. I do remember at times asking my husband opininon about my thought on a hairstyleAt times I do listen to my friend thought and tried things.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:57pm
Hi, RiverRat!I like that handle very much. Your question is interesting and I think I would say something between you and your wife.I pretty much make decisions about hairstyles on my own. However, knowing that I can get into hair ruts, among other things:), I definitely take the opinions of real friends into great consideration. I can say that I probably never would have worn my hair up if it had not been for a great friend of mine who said she liked my hair way up high because she could see how long my neck was. That put a real smile on my face.I am sure that your wife will find a style which she really likes. It can take time, but it can be fun just exploring.Please continue to post.All the best to you and your wife,Jade21I am new to the site and certainly do not want to get> involved in the current discussion - I do have a> question concerning a person's hair. Who do you feel> you should wear a particular hairstyle for? (yourself,> other people, a combination...) Don't answer yet. My> wife and I have a difference of opinion. I believe> that a person should wear his/her hair to best please> your spouse/friends... to a high degree. If a> particular style is best suited for that person (which> is "backed up" by other people's opinion)> shouldn't you tell that person and encourage her to> try it?> Wouldn't the "compliments" from friends...> serve a purpose to boost confidence? I certainly see> her side, to some degree. She believes it should be up> to the individual - to what that person feels most> comfortable with. Unfortunately, when I don't> "drool" over her chosen hairstyle she gets> mad. When she wears a hairstyle I really like on her> and "drool" she gets mad because she doesn't> like the hairstyle and doesn't want me to show how> much I like it. We have tried to find a compromise but> she can't find a style she likes. Sorry I rambled so> long but I feel you got the "jest" of it -> curious to see the opinions of others.
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:57pm
> - I do have a question concerning a person's hair...> ...My wife and I have a difference of opinion. I believe> that a person should wear...her hair to best please> (her) spouse...to a high degree...She believes it> should be up to the individual...When she wears a> hairstyle I really like on her..she gets mad because she> doesn't like the hairstyle and doesn't want me to show how> much I like it. We have tried to find a compromise but> she can't find a style she likes.My friend, you have a slight problem....but don't give up on your marriage just because of this! There is hope!I can understand your wife not being willing to completely give in to your desires (I guess that the styles you like are pretty "drastic" to her way of thinking), but as to her not liking when you express your favoritism towards her in a particular style...OUCH! That is a little petty, huh?Just be nice to her, maybe one day she will change her mind and like the styles that you like too. Maybe you should offer to change YOUR hair to what SHE likes as a quid pro quo, (don't ya know...(hey, it rhymes)).Seriously, over time she may change....I don't want to start getting flamed again, but people do change over time, and maybe she will start to see things your way....or at least maybe her natural progression in hairstyles will be more in line with your desires....Good luck!BTW, just my own curiosity: what is the big conflict between you two, in a nutshell: is it long vs. short, a color thing, or just a style issue (like, you like shaggy and unkempt hairstyles and she likes neat and slick hairstyles)?? Just wondering.....betcha dollars to donuts that it is a "long vs. short" issue....am I right?Z.
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:57pm
Very interesting question. I'm surprised you haven't received a number of responses with the knee-jerk reaction of "it's solely the choice of the individual". I'm not saying that's the wrong reaction, but there is a bit more to the question than that. To show what I'm getting at, let me highlight a section where you said:> Unfortunately, when I don't "drool" over her chosen> hairstyle she gets mad. When she wears a hairstyle I> really like on her and "drool" she gets mad because she> doesn't like the hairstyle and doesn't want me to show how> much I like it. To be quite honest, not many people wear their hair in a style that only they like. They've usually gotten at least one compliment or word of encouragement for the style they've chosen or have copied it from another source, guaranteeing that they aren't the only person with it. And that's all they need. Not to say that there aren't those that don't care at all, but they are in the minority.This illustrates the quandry of the average person. Since most folks have a desire appear attractive, by definition it becomes difficult to choose a style completely independent of outside influence. Sure you make like a style, but if no one else likes it, it takes a strong person to maintain the style and most will probably end up changing it. Not that that's wrong - it's just what most folks would do. Most will choose a style that they like and that at least some friends, family members, etc. have indicated that they like as well.Reading back a bit, I think I'm straying from my point, though I think you see where I'm heading. Essentially what I'm getting at is that if Mrs. RiverRat finds a style attractive, it isn't fair to RiverRat to require that he like it any more than the opposite is true. I'm sure there is a compromise out there somewhere. However, I'd still say you have to please yourself first.Many times, Mrs. Flea asks my opinion on her outfit because she isn't sure she likes it. I've learned that no matter what I say, if she doesn't feel good in it she won't wear it. Same goes for hairstyle. Most folks are harder on themselves that those around them. So if you don't like it and feel comfortable with it, then it really doesn't matter what everyone else says.Hoping he didn't stray too far from his point,JerkyFleaRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
RiverRat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiverRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:57pm
> My friend, you have a slight problem....but don't give> up on your marriage just because of this! There is> hope!> I can understand your wife not being willing to> completely give in to your desires (I guess that the> styles you like are pretty "drastic" to her> way of thinking), but as to her not liking when you> express your favoritism towards her in a particular> style...OUCH! That is a little petty, huh?> Just be nice to her, maybe one day she will change her> mind and like the styles that you like too. Maybe you> should offer to change YOUR hair to what SHE likes as> a quid pro quo, (don't ya know...(hey, it rhymes)).> Seriously, over time she may change....I don't want to> start getting flamed again, but people do change over> time, and maybe she will start to see things your> way....or at least maybe her natural progression in> hairstyles will be more in line with your desires....> Good luck!> BTW, just my own curiosity: what is the big conflict> between you two, in a nutshell: is it long vs. short,> a color thing, or just a style issue (like, you like> shaggy and unkempt hairstyles and she likes neat and> slick hairstyles)?? Just wondering.....betcha dollars> to donuts that it is a "long vs. short"> issue....am I right?> Z.------Thanks for all the responses. I figured I would get the usual "it's her hair she should wear it how she wants..." Instead there was some thought provoking insight. Yes, it is over length (I like the bangs above the eyebrows). Though it is not a drastic difference. NO, we do not have a problem with our marriage - we are very much in love... I do wear my hair how she likes it. Recently, I cut mine short (buzz-like) - she didn't like it - so I am growing it back out. She says I can wear it how I want to though she doesn't like it short. I prefer to wear it the way she likes it. I guess we have a difference of opinion not only on hair but on other things as well. As I thought about it - over time she has changed her hair to some degree for me - maybe with more time things will work out.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
I agree wholeheartedly with your comments!> I've learned that> no matter what I say, if she doesn't feel good in it> she won't wear it. Same goes for hairstyle. Most folks> are harder on themselves that those around them. So if> you don't like it and feel comfortable with it, then> it really doesn't matter what everyone else says.Exactly. *How* we feel about ourselves is usually the image we project. If we feel beautiful and sexy, then we usually appear that way! If we feel dowdy, then we usually look that way. I once saw a young woman (I'm guessing age 16 or 17) at a formal event who was genetically very beautiful. She had a great figure, beautiful face and hair, and wore a very attractive dress. By all accounts, she should have been a knock-out, but she wasn't. She walked around rather clumsily, kind of rolling her eyes at her friends as if to say, "Gee, I feel silly dressed like this." Therefore, she did look silly, not because of her appearance, but because of how she acted.With hair (and clothes and other physical accessories) ultimately, we must please ourselves, but we also need to be careful to wear what is appropriate in a certain situation. Let's say you needed surgery and you have an appointment with the surgeon, who is female. She has a beehive hairdo, shiny blue eye shadow, and long red fingernails. Right or wrong, I have to admit that I'd have little confidence in her! At a party, I would have no problem with her appearance (though I'm not terribly partial to beehives and blue eye shadow!!), but in a professional setting, it does not seem appropriate and detracts from the confidence she should be instilling in me with her professionalism.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
>>I personally would never wear my hair in a way that made me uncomfortable even if I got a lot of compliments.>>Definitely! I recently cut my hair but don't like it. I've actually received a lot of compliments on it but I will not keep it because it does not make me happy.>>If people said I looked good with my hair up, however, that's something a lot easier to do with less potential damage; I'd probably do it.I think there are two kinds of change with hair, in general. More permanent changes and temporary changes. For permanent changes, I think we should follow our own desires more (keeping in mind that the style is generally appropriate, which encompasses a huge spectrum, really).However, let's say that a man really loved for his wife to put her hair up and she really doesn't like it that way. Out of respect and courtesy for him, I think she should put it up every once in awhile. She's not permanently altering it, and it obviously can be put back down in a matter of moments! Same with clothing. I've worn clothing that I wasn't particularly crazy about just to please my husband.RiverRat, it sounds like you like your wife's bangs short and she likes them long. If that's the case, you won't like this, but I'd have to go with your wife! Short bangs are not very attractive (in my opinion, though obviously others will disagree). However, if she likes to wear her bangs long, perhaps for special occasions, if she wears longs bangs, she could put them back to show more of her face, if that's what you prefer. That way she isn't cutting the bangs but accommodating your wishes every once in awhile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic