Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair and compliments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kim, a Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, a Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair and compliments
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:02pm
Hi there. I was just wondering, since so many people have experienced negative, judgmental comments about their length, style, or colour of hair, if anyone would like to share any compliments they've received on their hair. One would think, if people are so free in sharing their negative opinions they might be equally free in voicing the positive, but that isn't often the case. Or maybe you've said something nice to somebody else you'd like to share. For instance, a friend of mine once told me I had mermaid's hair---it's not green or anything, she just knew I liked mermaids. Don't feel like you are tooting your own horn; I am just curious if there is positive feedback out there as well. Thanks!--Kim
Dawn from RareGems View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn from RareGems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:02pm
Hey, this is cool question and a good way to return to a more positive atmosphere so I'll bite!You're right Kim, too often we focus on the negative, like an actor reading reviews. The negative hurts and can sometimes overshadow the wonderful aspects of any positive comments made. That's too bad, so let me be the first to say that actually, long hair can be an incredible ice breaker and a real way to connect with others. Its made me many friends in cyber life and real life and lets kindred spirits spot each other everywhere they go!My hair is, well, how to put it, lets just say its out there, and I can't remember a time when venturing out of the house didn't include at least a couple of comments from complete strangers. But I'm lucky, because no one ever really dares makes negative remarks to my face. Oh there's the occasional woman who's friend is enamored of it but she's convinced its just me showing off, but they are few and far between. For the most part its always some gal in the grocery store or checkout line who feels the need to reach out with a "wow your hair sure is beautiful" or "gee I wish my hair would get that long". Its one of lifes great pleasures to strike up a converstion with these gals and I'm always surprised to learn that they themselves don't get enough encouragment for their hair choices. Women can be so hard on themselves. Those with curly hair want it straight, those with straight hair want it curled. I always thank them for their kindness and make sure to offer up a compliment of my own, telling each person what I see as special and unique about their own hair. Sometimes I can tell they can't even see themselves how beautiful they are but when they learn that its taken a lifetime to get hair this long they often find they're doing just fine in their own quest or when I point out how lovely their waves are or how great the color is they always seem to glow with this renewed enthusiasm for their own special gifts. That's my favorite part about having hair like this, sharing, encouraging, reminding people that they're special too and should never think the hair is prettier on the other side of the fence!Here's my latest encounter. I was bending over a food case the other day and a woman came by and said, oh my your hair is so wonderful. When I looked up I saw that she had a braid of her own about mid back length, rich, dark, wavy hair and so I said, well thank you, and you've got a pretty nice head of hair yourself. She seemed startled and said, oh no not me, but I told her no way, look how thick your braid is and the way the waves show through even down to the ends. A big smile lit up her face like she'd never thought of it like that before and with a cheery hey thanks she was off, leaving me feeling quite good about the whole exchange.Thanks Kim, for reminding me about those moments that I love so much!Very best wishes to all,Dawn> Hi there. I was just wondering, since so many people> have experienced negative, judgmental comments about> their length, style, or colour of hair, if anyone> would like to share any compliments they've received> on their hair. One would think, if people are so free> in sharing their negative opinions they might be> equally free in voicing the positive, but that isn't> often the case. Or maybe you've said something nice to> somebody else you'd like to share. For instance, a> friend of mine once told me I had mermaid's> hair---it's not green or anything, she just knew I> liked mermaids. Don't feel like you are tooting your> own horn; I am just curious if there is positive> feedback out there as well. Thanks!--Kim
Erica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:02pm
I might also add that sometimes people don't mean to come off as judgemental/negative. In their mind they might think they are complimenting you...but it doesn't come out of their mouth that way. (I know I have been guilty of that before--unintentionally!) Or they may be thinking that they are "helping" you--I have encountered many people like this. My grandmother is a prime example--all she does is criticize & try to force her opinion on me about my hair (among other things!)--but I just shrug it off because I know in her mind, she is just trying to help. You gotta love her!Another reason that people don't compliment as often as they should is that they might feel unsure if it is appropriate, especially if they don't know each other well. I think this is especially true if it is a guy complimenting a gal on her hair--he might be afraid she'll intrepret it as a "come-on."I guess what I want to say is that I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about what other people say or think about your hair--it is your OWN opinion of your hair and yourself that matters. If you like your hair style, then keep it! If you don't, then change it if and when YOU want to! Who cares what anyone else thinks!! What is important is what YOU like and what YOU think!> Hi there. I was just wondering, since so many people> have experienced negative, judgmental comments about> their length, style, or colour of hair, if anyone> would like to share any compliments they've received> on their hair. One would think, if people are so free> in sharing their negative opinions they might be> equally free in voicing the positive, but that isn't> often the case. Or maybe you've said something nice to> somebody else you'd like to share. For instance, a> friend of mine once told me I had mermaid's> hair---it's not green or anything, she just knew I> liked mermaids. Don't feel like you are tooting your> own horn; I am just curious if there is positive> feedback out there as well. Thanks!--Kim
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:03pm
Hi, Kim!This is a wonderful question.I can think of two comments which I simply loved. One was from a master barber who since has become a good friend. I didn't know he was a barber at the time. He said that my hair was "so lustrous and healthy-looking." I really appreciated this because I had been working for a good while to get my crackly hair to a balanced state. We also talked for a good while about what made him choose his profession and how he managed his own hair. He had shaved his hair and it was growing like crazy.Another comment was from a girl who lives in my apartment complex. I had my hands full with some groceries and she held the elevator for me. We began to talk on the ride and she said to me that my hair "looked like a cascading waterfall." I was blown away by that! It's true what Dawn says about the "grass is always greener" syndrome because she wanted to know if I knew of anything which would get some curl to hold in her hair. She loved the wave in my hair. I told her her hair was like black silk and straight was definitely cool, too:)Hair is an excellent way to encourage conversation between people. It's amazing to me how men will really talk about their hair and experiences if you just make a comment about the style, length, etc. I've learned a lot:)Take care and bye for now,Jade21Hi there. I was just wondering, since so many people> have experienced negative, judgmental comments about> their length, style, or colour of hair, if anyone> would like to share any compliments they've received> on their hair. One would think, if people are so free> in sharing their negative opinions they might be> equally free in voicing the positive, but that isn't> often the case. Or maybe you've said something nice to> somebody else you'd like to share. For instance, a> friend of mine once told me I had mermaid's> hair---it's not green or anything, she just knew I> liked mermaids. Don't feel like you are tooting your> own horn; I am just curious if there is positive> feedback out there as well. Thanks!--Kim
RiverRat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiverRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:03pm
> Hi there. I was just wondering, since so many people> have experienced negative, judgmental comments about> their length, style, or colour of hair, if anyone> would like to share any compliments they've received> on their hair. One would think, if people are so free> in sharing their negative opinions they might be> equally free in voicing the positive, but that isn't> often the case. Or maybe you've said something nice to> somebody else you'd like to share. For instance, a> friend of mine once told me I had mermaid's> hair---it's not green or anything, she just knew I> liked mermaids. Don't feel like you are tooting your> own horn; I am just curious if there is positive> feedback out there as well. Thanks!--KimA compliment to one is not to another.My wife has always hated the idea of coloring her hair - she says she will never do that because it looks fake.She has natural chunky highlights and hates it because it looks as though she had her hair purposely done that way.Several people at her work ask her where she gets her hair done because they love her highlights. I try to tell her that people wouldn't compliment you or ask where you get it done if they thought it looked fake. So while she gets compliments all the time on her hair she still feels that being noticed for it is not. Go Figure!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic