Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dawn mentioned something about "fake" hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
> IN my opinion only you come across as someone> that like to argue and stir the pot.( Diane)Since you obviously missed it the first time, let me quote myself:Believe it or not, in most discussions, I try to reach a conclusion agreeable to all parties involved. However, being pragmatic by nature, it is difficult for me to ignore facts presented simply to facilitate peace. If after discussing the facts they are deemed irrelevant or "agree to disagree" points, I'm more than happy to let them go. But, if the points are fundamental to the agreement trying to be reached, then ignoring them is foolhardy because they will surely be revisited if another discussion touches on similar issues. That only serves to reignite the initial argument, and that doesn't benefit anyone.So, I'd be more than happy to play peacemaker in trying to acheive an actual peace, rather than just hoping the issues would go away. You may accuse me of reading things into posts, but isn't it just as bad to not read things that ARE there?JFRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
> Hi JerkyFlea,> I don't see a "distinct" difference between> your category 2 and 3> definitions.I've said that several times actually, that we shouldn't be that far apart, yet somehow we continue to be. In my "moment of clarity", I was trying to point out (obviously ineffectively) that we have strayed somewhat from the point to fighting over what one poster says to another. That's why I said it may be just a big misunderstanding that has gotten out of control.> As for me, my thoughts on what I think is> "the most> appropriate" course of action (for the person)> depends in large part on> how they make their case.Ok, please don't take this the wrong way, but it becomes difficult for someone to make their case when you don't know how to put it into terms the other person will understand. For example, I understand what someone means when they say that long hair can "drag down" your face or that fullness on top or in the back can balance out a full face or short stature. As you've stated before, you don't and that's fine. However, it is then much more daunting a task to explain it in terminology and use examples that you would accept. Does that make sense?> If a person says that they> are indecisive,> thoughtful people in *either* camp (as you define> them) suggest methods> to help the person to make their decision. If a person> says "I have> long hair and I'm going to have it cut," it's> pointless to even comment> because the person is only informing everyone of their> plan.Yet, there usually seems to be at least one response that tries to talk them out of it and tosses in the word "regret".> It's not fair to anybody (and I mean, anybody) to> state a hypothetical> perspective, frame it as a sort of "political> party line," and apply it> to a group where persons a, b, and c are on "one> side of the fence,"> and persons d, e, and f are on the other side. Each> and every one of> us has a voice and can speak for our own selves.Exceedingly true. We are all much more complex people than one could glean from the information on this board. However, I would wager that, for better or worse, a first time visitor to the board reading all of the posts would probably categorize us similarly to the groups that I stated. Plus, keep in mind that I wasn't just referring to the respondants on just Hair Politics, but on all of the HB boards.> One other thing... I have yet to see evidence of> anybody expressing the> notion that "cutting long hair is the end of the> world." If this> outrageous statement is truly what you glean from the> messages of some> or any of the folks out, I would like to politely> suggest that you study> their words more closely. What you have said is> tantamount to attributing> extreme points of view to a group which you do not> consider yourself a part.> So your comment could be seen as rather inflammatory,> don't you think?(SIGH) I intended the cliche "it's the end of the world" in the way it is usually used, i.e., an action the significance of which is overly dramatized. Not to say that it isn't traumatic to many people, but most of the people with long hair that post on this forum seem to have a deeper emotional attachment to their long hair than most.You and others only found the statement inflammatory because we (and I include myself) have now been reduced to picking apart every post word for word, looking for a point of attack. And I think we're all tired of it. Heck, I know I am.Later,JFRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
> First, thanks for the apology. The raging hostility of> your first post surprised me, especially when I was> trying to clarify things as I saw them from what I> read. Now then:You don't see my facial expression. My expression is very much frustration with you. I was trying very hard to make Jena feel better and you didn't mind your own business and went off in your own direction and accuse things and that is what I call stiring the pot. Jena seen it the way I meant it and that was important. She didn't question it and the post was for her soul not yours.There is a french expression which I will translate in english " mind your own onions".I have always been 100% supportive with people decisions. Whatever Dawn said to Jena and whatever Jena understood is between them but I know that Dawn didn't mean it the way Jena took it and now it is between them to fix it. You are the one that didn't help Jerky flea! (Diane)> 1) If you had paid attention to MY posts, you would> have seen that I had said that I LOVE my wife's long> hair and have actually TALKED HER OUT OF CUTTING IT on> more than one occasion. If I have to update my glasses> prescription, then you need to invest in a course on> "Reading for Comprehension". :)Ya well if I am guilty of misunderstanding you and I need a course on reading for comprehension I will certainly sign you up also and we might get a discount. It seems that you been getting in more trouble than I on this level. lol ( Diane)> 2) If I lumped you in with Dawn it was due to the fact> you defended her post by attempting to restate what> she said in a less pointed manner (it's not worth it> at this point to go back and start quoting, since it> is usually ignored anyway). My point was that Dawn's> message was rather arrogant and that your rewording> didn't necessarily soften the blow. If you were> actually expressing a different aspect of your opinion> unrelated to what Dawn said, then I missed it. Again,> I only know what I read.You are too creative with your mind. You are adding things that don't exist/ ( diane)> And no, I don't think all long haired people are the> same. However, the small group that posts regularly> here there is a definite similarity in opinions.Well that because everyone wants to be respected for their choices and all the same things as everyone else. I think the planets are screwing these days. (Diane)>
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
>> Believe it or not, in most discussions, I try to> reach a conclusion agreeable to all parties involved.> However, being pragmatic by nature, it is difficult> for me to ignore facts presented simply to facilitate> peace.That is where you certainly get in trouble. You see it your way only and you don't see the whole picture. The messages have always be cleared. Respect, respect respect and respect no matter how one slice any post. ( Diane)>> You may accuse me of reading things into posts, but> isn't it just as bad to not read things that ARE> there?Okay Jerky Flea I should have type that you read things that are not there in the posts. I am french so it is reverse for me when I type in english. lol You have misuderstood people views and it caused problems at times. ( diane)
Unregistered
Unregistered
That's why I said it> may be just a big misunderstanding that has gotten out> of control.Yes Jerky Flea it is a misunderstanding. Noone is trying to force their personal goals on anyone. Everyone wants to be respected for their choices. ( diane)>> Yet, there usually seems to be at least one response> that tries to talk them out of it and tosses in the> word "regret".Noone wants to see another human being regret their choices in life. Everyone wants to see each other happy. What is wrong with that? It is only logical . ( Diane)> Exceedingly true. We are all much more complex people> than one could glean from the information on this> board. However, I would wager that, for better or> worse, a first time visitor to the board reading all> of the posts would probably categorize us similarly to> the groups that I stated.No unless they have your personality. ( teasing) DianePlus, keep in mind that I> wasn't just referring to the respondants on just Hair> Politics, but on all of the HB boards.REally I don't see everyone participating on all HB baords. I don't and not everyone does. ( diane), but> most of the people with long hair that post on this> forum seem to have a deeper emotional attachment to> their long hair than most.Well you devote so many years in growing your hair and making sure it will well taken care of and come back and talk. ( diane)> You and others only found the statement inflammatory> because we (and I include myself) have now been> reduced to picking apart every post word for word,> looking for a point of attack. And I think we're all> tired of it. Heck, I know I am.Oh gee now you are talking for the whole group? I think you should only talk on behave of yourself and I have rarely pick your words but I have seem you do it often to others.( diane)
Amy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
I thought i had stumbled into the daycare portion of hairboutique. But, it was to my surprise that I was in "Hair Talk". Everyone might as well have put on jerseys and picked sides. However, I do agree with jerkyflea, to a point, that there are two categories of hair enthusiasts. Those that agree that whatever you do with your hair as far as length is fine as long as you can live with it afterwards, and those that feel long hair is the way to go. I probably fit in to the latter of the two. I don't necessarily feel as though I'm against extensions. But beware they too have a downfall. I have always had long hair, and if I cut it and then decided to have extensions I wouldn't feel as though any recognition or compliments i received on behalf of the length of my hair were truly deserved. Anyone can buy flowers but the praise for having grown them is far more fulfilling. I don't mean to slam whomever chooses to get extensions. But, there are far better ways to achieve praise then by douping the appraiser. In short, I know I'm probably going to catch hell for this and thats fine. Sorry, if I offended anybody that was not my intent. We should all live to make ourselves happy and not any one kind of people.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
Hi again JerkyFlea,> I've said that several times actually, that we> shouldn't be that far apart, yet somehow we continue> to be.Well, who's to say how far apart we should or shouldn't be? I don'tsee that this gap needs to be bridged. We (everybody who participateson the board) each feel the way we do. It's alright if people agreeto disagree -- when the opinions relate to the subject at hand -- hair!It's the attitude of the opinion-holder that seems to be the source ofoccasional contention.> Ok, please don't take this the wrong way, but it> becomes difficult for someone to make their case when> you don't know how to put it into terms the other> person will understand. For example, I understand what> someone means when they say that long hair can> "drag down" your face or that fullness on> top or in the back can balance out a full face or> short stature. As you've stated before, you don't and> that's fine. However, it is then much more daunting a> task to explain it in terminology and use examples> that you would accept. Does that make sense?We're talking apples and oranges here. I was talking about the case(s)where someone seeks advice.I think I can understand why someone would say that fullness on topor in the back *changes the appearance* of a short stature (by makingthem "appear" to be a bit taller -- it doesn't fool me), or balances afull face... but as for the latter, (long) hair BELOW the face canalso balance a full face, (IMHO) more adequately so than having volumeon top of the head.Would you please explain to me the concept of how long hair "drags down"one's face?> Yet, there usually seems to be at least one response> that tries to talk them out of it and tosses in the> word "regret".In every case that I have seen where the poster tries to talk someoneout of it, and/or uses the word "regret," it is when the person hasgenerally said "this is what I'm thinking of doing. What does everybodyelse think?" The inquisitor is opening themselves up for opinions.Any time (with very few exceptions) someone has definitively stated"I'm definitely going to cut my hair," there is nothing to say and nobodyhas said anything. At least that's the way I see these things transpire.> Exceedingly true. We are all much more complex people> than one could glean from the information on this> board. However, I would wager that, for better or> worse, a first time visitor to the board reading all> of the posts would probably categorize us similarly to> the groups that I stated. Plus, keep in mind that I> wasn't just referring to the respondants on just Hair> Politics, but on all of the HB boards.Interesting thought. I don't know about that, though. I see a verywide array of opinions and thoughts from a wide variety of people.Just the way it is for any other topic -- including "real" politicaldiscussions. Read for a while the editorials of your local newspaperthat discuss the same subject. You're bound to see a wide varietyof opinions and perspectives. I see a similar variety of opinionsand perspectives here.> Not to say that it isn't traumatic to many people, but> most of the people with long hair that post on this> forum seem to have a deeper emotional attachment to> their long hair than most.I remember you discussing the ease with which some of your clients havecut their long hair short. And yet here on this discussion board, wegenerally see more (well-intended) concern expressed. I wonder whythese experiences differ for you. Perhaps it's because some of thoseclients come to you only when they want to cut their hair? Or perhapsbecause dealing with a professional stylist (in general, not accusingyou!) can be intimidating and it's difficult to disagree with a givenstylists suggestion or recommendation to "try a cute new short haircut?"> we (and I include myself) have now been> reduced to picking apart every post word for word,> looking for a point of attack.I don't explicitly seek a point of attack. It's the words as a whole(sentences and paragraphs) that I sometimes find offensive. I highlightcertain words or phrases that you've used in an attempt to indicatewhy I find those words disagreeable.Dave
David M Squires
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
> I have always had long hair, and if I> cut it and then decided to have extensions I wouldn't> feel as though any recognition or compliments i> received on behalf of the length of my hair were truly> deserved.If you and I were shopping and I chose an outfit for you and hair adornments and did your make-up and you received compliments, would you feel you didn't deserve the compliments since it was actually someone else who did your makeover?Or if you hired a painter to paint the outside of your house instead of doing it yourself, and someone told you, "Hey, I love the new paint job on your house," would you feel you didn't deserve the compliment?Perhaps there is a difference between accepting a compliment on how our hair looks and receiving a compliment on the patience it requires to grow it longer. Please don't feel threatened just because someone does whatever it takes to make her hair look her best. Now, if she lies and says she took years to grow it and it's not true, well then, I'd be miffed, too! I do understand how you feel, though, because as I mentioned in at least a few other posts, when I was a teenager, I had a beautiful color of light strawberry blonde hair, and I was very proud that it was totally natural. But you know what? As I've grown older, I've learned that these are all just superficial things. As Diane from Canada has said, it really is more important what's on the inside.If you're confident of yourself and you know that you have naturally long hair without extensions or hair pieces of any kind, then it shouldn't bother you what others do.PS -- if it makes you feel any better, I didn't get the extensions. :-)
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
> If you and I were shopping and I chose an outfit for> you and hair adornments and did your make-up and you> received compliments, would you feel you didn't> deserve the compliments since it was actually someone> else who did your makeover?Of course this all assumes that a person would grow their hair long or get extensions ONLY to get compliments from others.Wouldn't most grow long hair just to please themselves?> Perhaps there is a difference between accepting a> compliment on how our hair looks and receiving a> compliment on the patience it requires to grow it> longer.Absolutely.> PS -- if it makes you feel any better, I didn't get> the extensions. :-)Just curious, Jena....why? You seemed so ready to get them a few weeks ago...what made you change your mind? Did you actually start to like the new 'do?Z.
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
Bravo! We're getting a little too serious about our follicles.
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
Hmmm...I do believe that achieving hair growth as a life goal might be viewed as a detriment if one put it on one's resume.
gigi View Drop Down

Having a ball. Thanks everyone!
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
> Just curious, Jena....why? You seemed so ready to get> them a few weeks ago...what made you change your mind?> Did you actually start to like the new 'do?Actually, I had the appointment to order the extensions a few hours after the one for highlights. My stylist asked if I were still considering the extensions, and I told him of my plans. He doesn't usually voice strong opinions but told me that my hair was so thick and healthy and good-looking that he thought it would be a crime to cover it up. I decided to be a bit daring, so believe it or not, I cancelled the extensions appointment and actually got it cut shorter! It was kind of scary, but I can honestly say that I'm glad I did it. It really gave me a lot of self-confidence. I no longer feel defensive about keeping long hair. Oh, I still want long hair but I don't need it to feel good about myself. Hair is not the all-consuming obsession that I've observed in others. I think I have a healthier relationship with my hair. I don't take life so seriously anymore and have a much better sense of humor! I admire long hair very much. But it's just.....hair. There are far more important goals and endeavors to pursue in life than sitting around worrying about my hair. Certainly my patience will be tested when my hair gets longer for that "in-between" stage, but as I think Gigi mentioned, growing hair long isn't so terribly impressive on a resume'. No offense, but anyone with the right genes can do it! But obtaining an education or athletic goal or something that takes work, instead of just patience (although patience is a wonderful trait!), will most likely ultimately satisfy us in life. Long hair can fall out due to drugs or be accidentally cut off in machinery, so then where are the results of all that "hard" work? You can't cut off or lose intangibles like education, fitness, and so forth.I don't want to start any fights, but is total dedication and obsession with growing hair long really that worthy of a goal? Sure, one of my goals is to grow my hair long. And I'll be happy when it reaches past my shoulders! But I'd honestly be a bit embarrassed to say that I was "proud" of it -- to me, it would be like saying, "it's the only thing I am capable of doing to provide me with a sense of accomplishment."Hair goals can be good, but it seems to me that they might be taking a greater precedence over things that might potentially benefit us and other people in the world. For instance, I'd take the accomplishment of being physically fit and healthy but having short hair over that of having healthy, luxurious long hair but being overweight and not physically fit.I guess what I'm saying is that growing hair long shouldn't mask what's really important in our lives.Hey, I can tell my hair is growing! And I'm happy about that. :-) And believe it or not, I'm glad that I'm experiencing short hair, at least temporarily. I've learned more about myself and what's most worthy of our focus in life. And I've learned that....hair grows. :-)
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
> Hmmm...I do believe that achieving hair growth as a> life goal might be viewed as a detriment if one put it> on one's resume.Doing so would be inappropriate, yes. A resume intended to land employment is served only by achievements relevant to the field of employ in question.Goals can be set and achieved, irrespective of the value of those goals to another person.
David M Squires
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
Hi Jena,> My stylist asked if I were still considering the> extensions, and I told him of my plans. He doesn't> usually voice strong opinions but told me that my hair> was so thick and healthy and good-looking that he> thought it would be a crime to cover it up.A crime? Please. That's a rather strong word he used to describe his subjective opinion. Naturally you wanted to avoid committing a crime so you chose to abide by his suggestion, right?> I no longer feel defensive about> keeping long hair.Sorry to hear you felt you had to be defensive about having long hair. People should feel free to enjoy it -- if they want it -- without feeling the need to be defensive. Why do some people get defensive? Because they get unsolicited pressure to cut.> Hair is not> the all-consuming obsession that I've observed in> others.Wow. Does this describe anybody we know here on Hair Politics, or just some people you know in "real-life?" :-)> There are far more> important goals and endeavors to pursue in life than> sitting around worrying about my hair.Absolutely there are. Basic survival, for one! Besides, even if a person wants their hair to grow long, worrying about it won't help at all.> but as I think Gigi> mentioned, growing hair long isn't so terribly> impressive on a resume'.See my answer to Gigi above.> No offense, but anyone with> the right genes can do it!Can? Yes. But has the will and patience to do so? Not everybody. Look around you. How many people in real life do you see that have very long hair? Even if one assumed an equal distribution of hair-length preferences (and that assumption is by no means a given), it would seem that very few that like long hair have the willpower to actually grow and keep it.> You> can't cut off or lose intangibles like education,> fitness, and so forth.You can absolutely lose these intangibles, especially fitness. Skills and knowledge learned during the education process go dull from lack of use.> is total> dedication and obsession with growing hair long really> that worthy of a goal?Depends on the individual. I would certainly never presume to tell anybody how important such a goal "ought" to be for them. By the same token, I would expect those who don't share the appreciation of that goal to respect the rights of those who do to their opinions about it.And there is a difference between "dedication" and "obsession."> Sure, one of my goals is to> grow my hair long. And I'll be happy when it reaches> past my shoulders! But I'd honestly be a bit> embarrassed to say that I was "proud" of it> -- to me, it would be like saying, "it's the only> thing I am capable of doing to provide me with a sense> of accomplishment."But who would say it was the *only* thing which you were capable of? Hair growth can be achieved simultaneously with many other goals, the achievements of which are not mutually exclusive!> Hair goals can be good, but it seems to me that they> might be taking a greater precedence over things that> might potentially benefit us and other people in the> world. For instance, I'd take the accomplishment of> being physically fit and healthy but having short hair> over that of having healthy, luxurious long hair but> being overweight and not physically fit.Terrific. It's great for you that you know how you feel about the relative importance of such possible goals. And these two goals are not incompatible, by any means. Actually, there can be a positive link between them.> I guess what I'm saying is that growing hair long> shouldn't mask what's really important in our lives.Of course! Decide what is important in your life. If you choose to grow your hair long as one of your goals, it can be achieved at the same time as you work toward other goals.> Hey, I can tell my hair is growing! And I'm happy> about that. :-) And believe it or not, I'm glad that> I'm experiencing short hair, at least temporarily.> I've learned more about myself and what's most worthy> of our focus in life. And I've learned that....hair> grows. :-)Glad to hear that you have learned from your experience. But surely you already knew that hair grows :-)Dave
David M Squires
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
> No offense, but anyone with> the right genes can do it! But obtaining an education> or athletic goal or something that takes work, instead> of just patience (although patience is a wonderful> trait!), will most likely ultimately satisfy us in> life.It might be just patience but many many people don't have patience in whatever goal they chooses. They want things now. Off the resume sitting down having an interview it might or might not play a small facture. If it does it only shows the personal determination of that person . When I was a manager I would notice these things. I would look to see if the person is taking care of themselves. Now if someone came in and had long hair that look like hell that wouldn't have impressed me at all. ( diane)Long hair can fall out due to drugs or be> accidentally cut off in machinery, so then where are> the results of all that "hard" work? You> can't cut off or lose intangibles like education,> fitness, and so forth.You can toally screw up your life and be so so educated. At least hair grows back . Reputation can't ( diane)> I don't want to start any fights, but is total> dedication and obsession with growing hair long really> that worthy of a goal? Sure, one of my goals is to> grow my hair long. And I'll be happy when it reaches> past my shoulders! But I'd honestly be a bit> embarrassed to say that I was "proud" of it> -- to me, it would be like saying, "it's the only> thing I am capable of doing to provide me with a sense> of accomplishment."I love this question. How about when we lose lots of weight? we feel that we have achieve the biggest accomplishment and end up feeling like a new person right? There is no set rules on accomplishment. The other day I manage 20 yards of dirt, I really feel I accomplish something eventhought my body was dying of pain. All my gardens look great now and I can enjoy them. Just because you are proud of something it doesn't mean that you are not capable of achieving many many other goals that are professional or personal. Why not pad yourself on your back and say way a go?For myself I want to say that I had long hair once in my life. I was born bald, had curly blonde hair as a toddler, had light short brown hair as a child, had shoulder lenght for years. I really want to acheive my personal goal. I have acheive many goals that I can be very proud of and I want to achieve this one. ( diane)> Hair goals can be good, but it seems to me that they> might be taking a greater precedence over things that> might potentially benefit us and other people in the> world. For instance, I'd take the accomplishment of> being physically fit and healthy but having short hair> over that of having healthy, luxurious long hair but> being overweight and not physically fit.I don't understand. Having goals are healthy. The make us successful. I know this very successful business man and he shown me how important little goals can be. We can have 20 goals or more going all the same time and it doesn't stop our lives. It doesn't prevent us from dealing with the important issue as family etc. ( diane)>Have fun enjoying your new hair style Jena.Diane
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
One thing I am wondering: why does it have to be an either/or situation? It sounds like I am either trying for a perhaps a not so worthy goal: growing my hair long, or achieving worthy goals such as education, fitness, etc. Can't I be doing them all at the same time? And if I think growing long hair is important to me, does that mean I don't know what other things are important, that I have no sense of priority. Most people don't put their fitness accomphlishments on their resume either.Clare> Actually, I had the appointment to order the> extensions a few hours after the one for highlights.> My stylist asked if I were still considering the> extensions, and I told him of my plans. He doesn't> usually voice strong opinions but told me that my hair> was so thick and healthy and good-looking that he> thought it would be a crime to cover it up. I decided> to be a bit daring, so believe it or not, I cancelled> the extensions appointment and actually got it cut> shorter! It was kind of scary, but I can honestly say> that I'm glad I did it. It really gave me a lot of> self-confidence. I no longer feel defensive about> keeping long hair. Oh, I still want long hair but I> don't need it to feel good about myself. Hair is not> the all-consuming obsession that I've observed in> others. I think I have a healthier relationship with> my hair. I don't take life so seriously anymore and> have a much better sense of humor! I admire long hair> very much. But it's just.....hair. There are far more> important goals and endeavors to pursue in life than> sitting around worrying about my hair. Certainly my> patience will be tested when my hair gets longer for> that "in-between" stage, but as I think Gigi> mentioned, growing hair long isn't so terribly> impressive on a resume'. No offense, but anyone with> the right genes can do it! But obtaining an education> or athletic goal or something that takes work, instead> of just patience (although patience is a wonderful> trait!), will most likely ultimately satisfy us in> life. Long hair can fall out due to drugs or be> accidentally cut off in machinery, so then where are> the results of all that "hard" work? You> can't cut off or lose intangibles like education,> fitness, and so forth.> I don't want to start any fights, but is total> dedication and obsession with growing hair long really> that worthy of a goal? Sure, one of my goals is to> grow my hair long. And I'll be happy when it reaches> past my shoulders! But I'd honestly be a bit> embarrassed to say that I was "proud" of it> -- to me, it would be like saying, "it's the only> thing I am capable of doing to provide me with a sense> of accomplishment."> Hair goals can be good, but it seems to me that they> might be taking a greater precedence over things that> might potentially benefit us and other people in the> world. For instance, I'd take the accomplishment of> being physically fit and healthy but having short hair> over that of having healthy, luxurious long hair but> being overweight and not physically fit.> I guess what I'm saying is that growing hair long> shouldn't mask what's really important in our lives.> Hey, I can tell my hair is growing! And I'm happy> about that. :-) And believe it or not, I'm glad that> I'm experiencing short hair, at least temporarily.> I've learned more about myself and what's most worthy> of our focus in life. And I've learned that....hair> grows. :-)
Clare
Dawn from RareGems View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn from RareGems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
Ok, one last time and then that's it for me.> I no longer feel defensive about> keeping long hair.I'm still very confused as to why, because you seemed to have felt defensive about your hair, you assume others harbor these same feelings?>Oh, I still want long hairI'm curious as to why?>but I don't need it to feel good about myself.Then why the wig 8 or 10 hours a day?>Hair is not the all-consuming obsession that I've observed >in others.Well, this is a hair board, consequently it would follow that the discussion revolves around a relatively narrow subject matter, that being, hair, a fine and delicious slice of life. However it would be rather ridiculous to extrapolate that a slice is somehow the essence ofthe whole pie. But then, the presumption that a very specific comment, regarding a very specific event, and a very specific situation wherein it was suggested that it represented a certain degree of hypocrisy to run for the security of that which one has just deemed life stifling was somehow akin to a blanket condemnation of all physical manipulations affecting one's outer appearance has also been presented so it would appear that the misinterpreting of meaning knows no bounds. The phrase "all consuming obsession" is a good example of the dangers of "reading into" posts sentiments that do not exist and attributing anger, defensiveness, insecurity, jealousy, obsession or other emotions where none are present. To then makecontentious remarks regarding those erroneous perceptions is a slippery slope.>I don't take life so seriously anymore and> have a much better sense of humor!All that from a haircut? Spiritual epiphany, enhanced sense of humor? Not bad for a mass of irrelevant dead cells.>I admire long hair> very much.Why, if its no big deal and anyone can do it? Wouldn't admiration be reserved for that which has inherent value?> There are far more> important goals and endeavors to pursue in life than> sitting around worrying about my hair.You had to cut your hair to learn this? Ok, well, people often find personal growth in things which others might find obvious.> growing hair long isn't so terribly> impressive on a resume'.Perhaps not, but as Noreen pointed out, its what got her the job, so hey, whatever works. I don't, however think that anyone is advocating growing their hair as their life's work, now are they? And as Clare so incisively mentioned, not many people list their exercise regime, waist size or time in the 100 yard dash on their resumes either.>No offense, but anyone with> the right genes can do it!Hardly true, since countless people with lovely hair are often pressured into living without what they desire because of career or other social factors. And as with sport, quite often what's required to prevail goes far beyond mere physical ability and into the realm of the heart, requiring inner fortitude and character, but since its been previously misinterpreted that strength of character can be equated with the willpower to resist a candy bar, perhaps this reference is a futile one as well.> I don't want to start any fights, butThis appears to be similar to the I don't want to say anything conceited but.... train of thought.>is total> dedication and obsession with growing hair long really> that worthy of a goal?Again the word obsession, which is a gross misinterpretation of the facts and represents a distorted perception about what has been written here. Its important to try and quiet one's own inner noise and actually hear the voice of the writer rather than projecting one's own motivations or assumptions onto the text. I've heard references toanger, defensiveness, insecurity, the threat of punishment for ones mistakes, obsessiveness, vanity, and many other emotions but I would submit that those are often the sentiments of the reader being projected onto the words rather than the true voice of the writer being accuratelyperceived.>Sure, one of my goals is to> grow my hair long.Why sure? Why have this as a goal at all if its so embarrassingly unworthy? Just curious.>And I'll be happy when it reaches> past my shoulders!Why, if its not a big deal and its possible to feel just fine without it? Why strive for it, why bother?>But I'd honestly be a bit> embarrassed to say that I was "proud" of it> -- to me, it would be like saying, "it's the only> thing I am capable of doing to provide me with a sense> of accomplishment."I can only hope that this is not somehow intimating that for all those with long hair it is the sole sustaining accomplishment in their lives. It has been my experience that the lovely and talented women I have come to know who have, or aspire to hair of extreme length are some of themost interesting, well rounded, intelligent, creative, successful, humble, selfless, spiritual, accomplished women I've ever had the privilege to be friends with, their hair, as with my short haired friends of rare beauty and style, being just one of the many, many, many things about them that is extraordinary and their pride in theiraccomplishment simply one of the many, many, many achievements from which they draw personal satisfaction and fulfillment. Again, the assumption that a discussion of this one narrow aspect of one's life can somehow be used as a means to extrapolate the notion that hair is ALL these people are about is, well, humorous and an illustration of the need to filter out one's own static when attempting to receive a persons message as they intended it.> Hair goals can be good, but it seems to me that they> might be taking a greater precedence over thingsBy what means can this conclusion be drawn? I wasn't aware that contributing to a message board regarding hair provided some x-ray insight into the private workings of peoples minds, motivations or lives outside of cyberspace. Does it impart some omnipotent sense of what else people see as important in their lives or some rare ability to ranktheir lifes priorities based on a few messages regarding hair and its social ramifications? That would seem unlikely.> might potentially benefit us and other people in the> world. For instance, I'd take the accomplishment of> being physically fit and healthyI'm sorry, I'm confused again because somehow it seems like this sentence is advocating that commitment to one aspect of the physical being is somehow superior to another and somehow would hold true for all people rather than just as a personal preference. And I'm not quite clear how beingovertly figure conscious would somehow benefit other people or the world as a whole.> I guess what I'm saying is that growing hair long> shouldn't mask what's really important in our lives.Again, I'm not clear on when it was that anyone else seemed confused about what was really important to them in their own lives.> Hey, I can tell my hair is growing! And I'm happy> about that. :-)Why, if its no big deal?> I've learned more about myself and what's most worthy> of our focus in life.Hair, or rather the lack thereof, taught this? Quite an impressive feat for an insignificant accessory.>And I've learned thatAhh, more life lessons gleaned from hair. I'm again not clear on why it is spiritually and morally superior to garner deep meaning on the purpose and importance of various aspects of life based on the experience of cutting ones hair, yet somehow obsessive, insecure, compulsive and just plain inferior to capture some shred of the same during the process of growing ones hair.When Yoko cut her hair it was a deep and meaningful symbol of her loss since her hair, FOR HER was more than "just hair". When a buddhist monk shaves his head it is a deep and meaningful symbol of his faith since all others of his nationality grow their hair to its natural terminal length and FOR HIM he's not sacrificing "just hair". When we refer to someone as a dumb blonde, or assume someone is "mousy" and timid because they have brown hair or insist she must be "fiery" because of her red hair, we are making value judgments about a persons inner life based on superficial information. If I can have my intelligence, vanity, sexuality, life philosophy and overall personalityjudged by the color or cut of my hair (something the outside world does to me on a daily basis), then it is very much more than "just hair". If hair is nothing more than a fashion statement for some, hey, that's fine, trash it, manipulate it, shave it off if you like, its not my concern, but don't assume that view is one size fits all. If hair were unimportant we wouldn't spend so much time and psychic energy manipulating it and we wouldn't judge people by it. We wouldn't need wigs or extensions or dye or permsor straighteners or the thousand other things we use to create the hair "persona" we desire. (Things which, by the way, I have no opinions about, they are personal choices and I am and have always been deeply 100% pro personal choice, provided of course that one hasn't first patronized and demeaned a particular choice then immediately beaten apath back to the security of same said choice, in which case, it would seem only logical to question such proposed activity.) So maybe there is a lot more to this hair thing than just changing it like you would a pair ofsocks or your earrings. No one judges your intelligence by whether you wear hoops or studs, but they think they know your heart just because you were born a blonde or a redhead or whatever or you wear your hair a certain way.I'm always saddened that this issue seems to polarize people in such a way and result in such wild misinterpretations. I'm sad and frustrated too that it always get portrayed as a long vs short issue as though there were something inherently adversarial in choosing one way over another. Is it time to just let it go? I volunteer to go first. As a final note I should also point out that the questions contained herein are rhetorical in nature, meant only as food for thought, not to elicit any response, and that if you are right now as you read this hearing anger, resentment, contempt, or other accusatory emotions they are not mine and not my intent.Peace to everyone and namaste to those who do now and have always heard the true voice within these words, you know who you are!Very best wishes to all,Dawn
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
LOL! Well for heaven's sake I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from having goals. And as a goal, I'd say hair growth ranks right up there with getting an MBA, a Ph.D in Rocket Scientry, or bowling a 200. Okay, a 120 for me...
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
If everyone would please refrain from putting anything into anyones mouth, even feet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic