Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair and advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kim, a Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, a Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair and advice
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
Hello. I have a question, especially for people who have strong opinions about hair style and length. What do you say when a friend asks your opinion on cutting or growing their hair? Specifically when it's opposite to your personal tastes? I recently had a friend ask me if she should cut her very curly, shoulder-length hair. She had been thinking about it for months, and she pointed out that it would set off her long neck and nice features. She also said that she gets tired of dealing with it in all the humidity. My first impulse was to squeak out "eeeeeeekkkk!Noooooo!" but I restrained myself. I told her I was very partial to long hair, especially curly, but I did agree she has nice features and could empathize on the humidity issue. I suggested she might like to try one of those hairstyle computers first to see how it would look.I was trying to be supportive of our decision (she had obviously been considering this for awhile) and at the sametime honest about my own opinions. I don't know if I wasbeing wishy-washy or considerate. When it comes right down to it, her friendship is more important to me than whetherI like her hair. What do you guys think?---Kim
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
> You weren't wishy washy . YOu were supportive. You gave your friend some ideas where she can go and get them.You are a good friend to her.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
> I was trying to be supportive of our decision (she had> obviously been considering this for awhile) and at the> same> time honest about my own opinions.Exactly. If you actually lie and say you love the style, then you aren't really doing your job as her friend. But at the same time, you want to be supportive of her decision.One thing I've learned is to never give "advice" with the words, "you should ......." Then what happens is *you* take responsibility for the outcome. If you say, "You should cut your hair," or "you should not cut your hair," and she follows the advice but doesn't like it, then *you* get blamed for the outcome!True story: When we moved to a new house, our clothing was getting rust spots after being laundered. A friend of mine said, "oh, the inside of your washing machine is rusted and you'll need a new machine. That exact thing happened to me." I was a little reluctant since the machine was only 6 years old and we'd never had trouble before, but I sure didn't want to ruin our clothing with rust spots, either. So....$500. later with a new machine and guess what? You guessed it -- rust spots! It turns out that we needed an iron filter for our water conditioner, and we just threw away a perfectly good machine! Although it obviously wasn't my friend's fault, subconsciously I was kind of miffed at her since she told me to buy a new machine.So...relating this to hair, what you said was perfect, Kim. You let your friend know that you really like her long hair and suggested that she try a "computer" haircut first (a great idea in my book!) yet you are supportive if she does decide to cut. The goal is to give your opinion but leave the responsibility of the decision up to her.I've had this situation with clothing and my friends. One of them likes to wear a dusty rose color and she has beautiful auburn hair and just looks *horrible* in the color. Seriously, it just ruins her beautiful skin color and complexion. But it seems to be her favorite color and she's always trying to get me to say that it looks good on her and I won't! I am never mean, but when she asks about a new outfit or if we're shopping together and she puts up a dress or shirt with that color in it up to her face and asks my opinion, I'll comment on the fabric or style. If she asks about the color, I'll say something like, "I think what would look really great on you is a rust hue to bring our the highlights in your hair." Which is a nice way of saying, "That rose color makes you look *sick* darling!";-)Or another way to look at it is to not criticize her choice but show enthusiasm for the look you personally think looks best on her. That way you aren't putting down her decision or opinion yet you're being honest and offering your own.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
Very well put, Jena.As it relates to hair, there are no "should's." Nobody can legitimately tell you that you should cut your hair, and nobody can legitimately tell you that you should grow your hair. A person should do what they want with their hair without the encumbrances of others telling them what they *should* or *should not* do.Of course, I realize this assumes some kind of a "perfect" world (which this certainly is not), as there do exist exceptions to this rule, such as for minor children abiding by on parental decisions, or for military service, or for a given business entity, etc.
David M Squires
Kim, a Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, a Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
Hey guys, thanks for the support. It will be interesting to see what decision my friend makes. She's going out of state for three months, and that always seems to be a good time to change your look. She has asked a lot of people their opinions, and said she would probably go in for a consultation first, so I'm sure she'll make a decision she feels comfortable with.Anyway, thanks again.---Kim
Kent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
I can¹t remember a recent situation when someone asked me an opinion about their hairstyle, but if they did I would be very cautious in how I shared my opinion. I believe strongly in being honest with people and for me the best way to do that is to agree that we both may have different views on the subject. Admitting the differences in opinion at the outset seems to allow more room for discussion and levels the ³playing field². Then I would share my feelings, making it clear that I do not feel I have the right to tell them what to do. It is only how I see the subject and just my (humble) opinion.I believe you were very wise to try understanding your friends viewpoint. By emphasizing with her about the humidity issue she could understand that you weren¹t just taking a stand without trying to understand her feelings. I always try to put myself in the other person¹s shoes. It enables me, at least sometimes, to see if my paradigm needs changing. Plus, it helps the other person realize I¹m not just spouting my opinion with no consideration of their feelings.More difficult for me would be how to discuss the issue if I outright dislike the person¹s hairstyle in the first place. Then I believe your approach of complementing the things you like and pointing out alternative solutions which you feel would be attractive on them is a nice way of diverting from your true opinion. By doing this you have given them some alternative ideas to consider without hurting them by saying ³I don¹t like your hairstyle².It¹s difficult when opinions differ and you don¹t want to hurt the other person. When talking to someone you cannot put up a giant IMHO to alert them that what you are going to share is simply your opinion. To me, being honest, admitting that you might not agree, trying to understand their viewpoing, and letting the person know you will accept them HOWEVER they choose to resolve their decision, is the best way to handle the situation.
Kent
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic