Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Maury Povich makeover show

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kestra View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kestra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maury Povich makeover show
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
I just finished watching a makeover episode of the Maury Povich show, consisting entirely of women with very long hair (waist legnth or longer) having their hair cut to at least shoulder-legnth or shorter.The women had a variety of reasons for appearing on the show, from one woman who wanted the trip to New York, to one who expressly wanted to donate her hair to Locks of Love (all women on the show donated their ponytails; a spokeswoman from the organisation said that it takes nine to ten ponytails to make one wig for a child...anybody know if this number is true?)after her own cancer scare.Others had what appeared to be family pressure. One woman's mother wanted her to have her hair cut short while the mother could still see it. (Mother had a progressive eye disease taking her sight.) Another's son couldn't remember seeing his mother with short hair, ever. Another's husband wanted a change after 25 years of marriage. Another woman wanted to be taken more "seriously" in her new business, rather than getting all the sexual-related comments men often gave her (including one man's reported request that she "bathe him in her long locks of love.")All the ponytails were cut on-camera, with, of course, a variety of reactions from immediate pleasure to tears. The women all appeared to be happy with the new looks at the end, though.Personally, I thought they all looked great in the beginning, with long, shiny, spectacular hair. Most of the makeovers looked just fine, but not distinctive. The daughter whose mother requested the cut looked a lot like her mom afterward.Just thought I'd put it out there and see what everyone had to say. Is there a pressure on these makeover shows to just cut? Why not have an episode showing how versatile and lovely longer hair can be?Kestra
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
Hi Kestra,Well, I know that some time ago this topic was discussed, but I never put my two cents in (I don't remember doing so, anyway).When you come right down to it, these participants must have known they were going to be on a "haircutting" show, so in this case I wouldn't say there was pressure from the show to cut it because that's what they appeared on the show for, primarily. Some sound like they were only cutting their hair to please someone else-never wise. With all these other makeover shows, however, no one is forcing these people to cut their hair. I know from what people say here that the pressure is on with people in their families to cut their hair, but frankly, if you don't have the fortitude to stick with your choice, isn't that the person's personal problem and not the make-over program shows? I don't want to sound insensitive, but like I wrote in a recent post, people know how these shows are by now.I will agree though that I always wonder why when there is a make-over (exempting this particular "Maury" show)they almost always cut the hair. Sometimes a simple color change would suffice!:) A lot of the time, all they need is taught proper make-up application, and better clothes sense-not a chopping of hair all over the place. I think that people who go on these shows for make-overs should make it clear from the start with the producer's and say "Hey, I only want so much taken off/none taken off of my hair length". If there is a problem with it later, then they shouldn't be intimidated, just say right there in front of the audience if the stylist/host keeps pressuring to go shorter, "I told you before the show, I only wanted so much taken off-that's how I want it". I'd love to see a show where if the host/stylist still doesn't leave the person alone, then that person getting up and leaving. Since I don't watch those shows much (and now not at all because of living overseas)I don't know if that has already happenned or not. From what I hear on this board, the answer is no.HollyRelated Link:Survey
Kestra View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kestra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
Holly,I'm sure that this has been addressed before, but I'm a newbie, only having found HairBoutique very recently. One would think that with a title like, "Please Cut Off My Long Hair to Give Me a Hot Summer Look" the guests would know what they are in for. Either that, or they'd be seeming a little dense, wouldn't they? Hair legnth, long, short, or in between, is the person's personal choice, and not left up to any talk show host. I was just wondering why it's so popular to be, as Holly said, "chopping all over the place." Granted, it's a given that in any makeover show, especially (I'd think) one devoted to haircutting, that the object is to get a dramatic change.I don't think that Maury and company hog-tie these women backstage, hypnotise them or hold their family pets at an undisclosed location until the makeover is complete. If the woman is happy with her new look, then in my opinion, the makeover was successful.To my knowledge, I haven't seen anyone walk off a makeover show, but that would be something, wouldn't it? Hey, if they can do shows about belly dancing or pet clothes, why not one on different long hair styles? I think that would be new and interesting to see.Kestra(who really, really does have a life, and just happened to have the show on this AM...my cat fell asleep in my lap, so getting up wasn't an option. She loves her belly rubs)
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
>Hello:Personally I refuse to watch those shows. I like when they actually change the clothing styles of people but not their hair. For example when they decide to bring in a bunch of teanagers and change the way they dress.It would also be nice to have a show on makeup itself. How it can enhance someone appearances when properly done.I have the same attitude as you do on the hair topic. Personally cutting hair doesn't make someone look nicer but it just makes them look diffirent. Just my own observation.Thanks for your post. Nice to see someone new post something.>>
Callie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
I understand the premise of these shows is the SHOCK value -- we all get that. But, just once in talk show fantasy land wouldn't it be wonderful if a stylist god showed some imagination and actually came up with a great cut FOR really long hair???!!!! After having below the waist hair for some time now, I've determined that anyone can do a short cut, but it takes a special person to do a good cut on long hair. I thought I found him once, but he couldn't do the cut twice.
Dawn from RareGems View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn from RareGems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
Well, after the post I couldn't help myself and checked out Maury this afternoon just to see the carnage, but you know, this show felt completely different than the Oprah one a while back. On Oprah, the makeovers were all of women with really garish styles, one bleached herself completely white blonde, another used a pound of foundation and a can of hairspray every morning before she would leave the bathroom, each had some really, truly outrageous personal preference that it was relatively easy to see why their "loved" ones wanted to see a change on them. What was offensive about that show was that they lumped the long haired woman in with those gals and really she was a natural beauty, very lovely with the long hair, nothing garish or shocking about her look at all. She also didn't seem really convinced that it was something she wanted to do, but the sister and husband were really working the emotional blackmail to make her do it. Now on Maury's show the atmosphere was really very different. Though there were all sorts of emotions involved there too (could the one mother have been more melodramatic, "I just want to see my daughter with short hair before I go blind", geez, talk about guilt trip, anyway, on Maury they really made a big deal about how lovely the womens hair was long and all the women seemed perfectly happy to part with it, even the one who cried when the ponytail was snipped. I think thats the big difference. Most of them said that cutting their hair was something they'd wanted to do for years and they were all smiles with the sassy new dos, so hey, I say, if it bugged them, why'd they wait so long in the first place? If you're no longer happy with the way you look, let it go, change, take that step, just as by the same token if you really love the way your hair is don't change it just for the sake of change, go ahead and enjoy what you love.Makeovers cut hair because, well, it wouldn't be very good tv to come on and say "ok, folks, you too can have hair to your knees, and it will only take twenty years or so, lets watch the transformation!" A major cut is immediate, short attention span fun and if the participants are willing, why not?Very best wishes to all,Dawn> I just finished watching a makeover episode of the> Maury Povich show, consisting entirely of women with> very long hair (waist legnth or longer) having their> hair cut to at least shoulder-legnth or shorter.> The women had a variety of reasons for appearing on> the show, from one woman who wanted the trip to New> York, to one who expressly wanted to donate her hair> to Locks of Love (all women on the show donated their> ponytails; a spokeswoman from the organisation said> that it takes nine to ten ponytails to make one wig> for a child...anybody know if this number is> true?)after her own cancer scare.> Others had what appeared to be family pressure. One> woman's mother wanted her to have her hair cut short> while the mother could still see it. (Mother had a> progressive eye disease taking her sight.) Another's> son couldn't remember seeing his mother with short> hair, ever. Another's husband wanted a change after 25> years of marriage. Another woman wanted to be taken> more "seriously" in her new business, rather> than getting all the sexual-related comments men often> gave her (including one man's reported request that> she "bathe him in her long locks of love.")> All the ponytails were cut on-camera, with, of course,> a variety of reactions from immediate pleasure to> tears. The women all appeared to be happy with the new> looks at the end, though.> Personally, I thought they all looked great in the> beginning, with long, shiny, spectacular hair. Most of> the makeovers looked just fine, but not distinctive.> The daughter whose mother requested the cut looked a> lot like her mom afterward.> Just thought I'd put it out there and see what> everyone had to say. Is there a pressure on these> makeover shows to just cut? Why not have an episode> showing how versatile and lovely longer hair can be?> Kestra
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
First of all, I do not watch television at all, so I obviously haven't seen the show or even know who Maury Povich is (though I've familiar with Oprah).>(could> the one mother have been more melodramatic, "I> just want to see my daughter with short hair before I> go blind", geez, talk about guilt trip,Something just doesn't sound kosher here... I could see a parent saying, "I just want to see my daughter happy or find a good career before I die" but she makes it sound like a short haircut is somehow a badge of honor. Also, I think the mom was rather selfish to ask that the daughter semi-permanently (at least until it grows back) alter her appearance. I could see the mom asking the daughter to wear her hair a certain style (that could be changed within a matter of minutes) or certain clothing to an event that is special to the mom. And I think the daughter would be selfish not to do that for her mom. But the daughter cutting off a lot of her hair just for the mom? I would never ask my daughter to do that.>Most of them said that cutting their> hair was something they'd wanted to do for years and> they were all smiles with the sassy new dos, so hey, I> say, if it bugged them, why'd they wait so long in the> first place?Exactly. I could see an 18 or 20-year-old girl whose mom never allowed her to cut her hair who just one day said, "This is it. I've always hated all this hair, I'm now a legal adult, so long hair is now history for me.>A major cut is immediate, short> attention span fun and if the participants are> willing, why not?I think the attention-grabbing aspect is paramount. Even a person who really doesn't think much about hair one way or the other would most likely take notice to such a shocking change. Kind of a weird example, but let's say there's some kind of festival or event that draws lots of people. Various booths and activities are everywhere. In one booth, a stylist is curling or just styling long hair. Sure, a few interested people would look to see what's going on, but most people probably wouldn't take notice. However, in another booth, a woman with waist-length hair is getting it cut up to her ears! Now I'll bet even some teenage boy who normally couldn't care less about women's hair is probably going to stop and watch the dramatic transformation! We're voyeurs, and the more out-of-the-ordinary visual appeal we experience, the more we like it.
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
> on Maury they really made a big deal about how lovely> the womens hair was long...Yeah, did you notice Maury kept wanting to touch that one woman's long hair? I don't think she thought they'd cut her hair as short as they did. She did seem upset about that. Both her and her mother said now she looks "like her mother". Did you catch when that one lady's young son would not stop giggling when he saw her new cut? I had to laugh! There was definitely some long hair there (pre-makeover).
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
> After having below the waist hair for some time now, I've> determined that anyone can do a short cut, but it> takes a special person to do a good cut on long hair.I would disagree with you, and in fact will assert the exact opposite: cutting long hair is easy, doing a good short haircut is hard.Why? With short hair there is no room for error, not much you can do to cover up a mistake. When a woman wears her hair short, the quality of the cut and the skill of the stylist is apparent all at once.With long hair, there is plenty of room to fix mistakes. Besides, what is so hard about a simple blunt-length haircut?Zorak
Teresa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
Hello Zorak,As someone who choses to wear long hair, I would like to make a couple of observations about haircuts.> I would disagree with you, and in fact will assert the> exact opposite: cutting long hair is easy, doing a> good short haircut is hard.I would say that it depends greatly on the particular style. Some long haircuts are easy, and some short haircuts are easy. Others of each length are more difficult.> Why? With short hair there is no room for error, not> much you can do to cover up a mistake. When a woman> wears her hair short, the quality of the cut and the> skill of the stylist is apparent all at once.> With long hair, there is plenty of room to fix> mistakes. Besides, what is so hard about a simple> blunt-length haircut?Well, first I would argue that a "simple blunt-length cut" is not a particularly good haircut for long hair. How the ends of long hair are cut can make a big difference in the way that it moves and in the ease of styling it later.Second, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "plenty of room to fix mistakes". If a long haircut is done well, then almost no length needs to be removed. Removing more than the desired amount makes it no longer a good haircut.Just my opinion,Teresa
Cher~ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
> With long hair, there is plenty of room to fix> mistakes. Besides, what is so hard about a simple> blunt-length haircut?> ZorakYou would think it would be simple.. a bluntcut... but speaking as one with thick wavey hair, I cannottell you how many times I have had to go back to a salonfor a stylist to fix my hair because they cannot get it even. I always ask is there a stylist who is adept at cutting thick hair because not all are by any means.Recently I cut my 28" of hair off to shoulder length. At first my husband cut it for me and aftera few lessons in cutting hair, he did fine. But it wasn't short enough for me so instead of having my husband nervous over cutting more, I went to a stylist who I have visited occasionally to restyle my feathery bangs for me. She is an older woman who has been through many style fads and is not programmed for the 90's look only. So, she knew she had to cut my hair in portions because of the thickness.. not just straight across.I have had stylists who tried to just go across the back of my hair... no way!! It never comes out even. When I told this stylist not to cut it without pinning portions up.. she said, I would in no way cut this thick of hair without pinning it up in sections. I knew then she knew what she was doing. She got it right. If I had a dollar for every time I went back for the stylist to fix my blunt cut, I could take my husband out for a fancy dinnertonight. I agree with you that short hair leaves no room for disaster.. but that is the chance you take when you enter a salon. But if someone is trying to grow long hairand someone makes a mistake which requires taking more inches off, it can be just as devastating as the short haired mistake. Cher~ who has been on the long and short of it.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
I was appalled by the gang mane chopping. Given that little, if any,such media attention is ever given to depict very long hair in apositive light, it is little wonder that very long hair is oftenviewed and treated by some people as a deviant expression ofindividuality to be "fixed" with a haircut.(Please pardon my upcoming insensitivity) After their hair had been cut,that several of the women seemed a bit on the heavy side become morenoticeable. Before their hair was cut, their bodies were sometimesenveloped in their very long hair, helping to conceal the extra weight.Also, the haircuts seemed to age the women. One of the mothers remarkedto her daughter that she now "looked like a mom." Another woman (theone whose mother is going blind) ended up looking a lot like her motherwith almost identical-looking short haircuts.Even the stylist admitted that the ladies all *had* gorgeous hair.If we take a completely objective view of hair length preferences, theshow (as are all such shows of drastic makeovers) attempted to skew theviewer's perception of the haircuts in a positive light. When thewomen came back onstage afterwards, their entrance (and their changedhairstyles) were "supported" by (1) upbeat and trendy music, (2)special lighting effects, as well as fog from a fog machine, (3) amuscular male escort with a completely unbuttoned shirt, (4) the usualand customary professionally-applied makeup and (5) new clothes.Perhaps also (6) the "support" of the audience (response to the"applause" signs) and of course, from their loved(?) ones. All of thisextraneous "packaging" is an attempt to sell the haircuts asrepresentative of an improvement, yet I ask objectively, "If thehaircuts in and of themselves represent an improvement in theirappearance, why all of the extraneous packaging?"I think the answer is to increase demand for short haircuts, and thus,it's a sales pitch by the salon/stylist that did the haircutsspecifically, and, by extension, the salon industry in general.Sadly, the lesson that came through from this show was that "pressurepays." Whether it be from a mother, a husband, a daughter, or a son,if you dislike someone's choice to have very long hair, then keeppestering them, even if it takes 30 or more years, until they give inand conform to the norm.I can't help but wonder if, sometime in the future, people will lookback at such events and consider them grotesque displays of the extentto which some people will go to exact their will onto others.Dave
David M Squires
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
>>After their hair had been cut, that several of the women seemed a bit on the heavy side become more noticeable. Before their hair was cut, their bodies were sometimesenveloped in their very long hair, helping to conceal the extra weight.I believe it's been said before that long hair has been used to "hide behind." Do you now understand its origin? Honestly, I do love long hair, but unfortunately, it's too often used by women who are heavy or who don't have great facial features. The emphasis is then drawn to the hair and not the person. A woman should wear long hair because it looks great on her, not to hide extra weight or facial features.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
> enveloped in their very long hair, helping to conceal> the extra weight.> I believe it's been said before that long hair has> been used to "hide behind." Do you now> understand its origin? Honestly, I do love long hair,> but unfortunately, it's too often used by women who> are heavy or who don't have great facial features. The> emphasis is then drawn to the hair and not the person.> A woman should wear long hair because it looks great> on her, not to hide extra weight or facial features.Dear Jena:Seriously Jena it would takes lots and lots of hair to really cover one's weight problem. Everyone has an idea in their mind what is attractive and it can be found in bald, short hair or long hair people. I can't say that long hair is often use to cover one's weight problem or it would be on the top ten things to do in weight watchers lol. If people really felt that was true the world would have tons of long hair people. Just my thoughts about the subject.Have a great hair day Jena.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
> I believe it's been said before that long hair has> been used to "hide behind." Do you now> understand its origin? Honestly, I do love long hair,> but unfortunately, it's too often used by women who> are heavy or who don't have great facial features. The> emphasis is then drawn to the hair and not the person.Jena,I'm just want to clarify the "appropriate" use of a given hair style orlength, let me see if I have this right... It's okay for hairstyliststo advise the adaptation of a shorter hairstyle (typically described as"face framing") to help de-emphasize certain facial features, but yousay it's not okay for a woman to choose very long hair to de-emphasizeher weight (or facial features)? Hmmm... seems like a double standard.So if a woman feels that wearing her hair long or very long helps herde-emphasize any of her features to which she doesn't want to attractattention, why shouldn't she feel free to do so?> A woman should wear long hair because it looks great> on her, not to hide extra weight or facial features.Who says their long hair didn't look great on them? (It did) Besides,why limit the reasons a woman can wear long hair? If she wants to wearit because it looks great on her, and/or because it hides extra weight,and/or because it hides certain facial features, then why aren't any ofthose valid reasons for choosing long hair?Dave
David M Squires
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
Well, there you go again, I...uh...wait a second. I actually AGREE with everything you wrote.Who are you and what have you done with Dawn?!JerkyFleaRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
C.C. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
> I just finished watching a makeover episode of the> Maury Povich show, consisting entirely of women with> very long hair (waist length or longer) having their> hair cut to at least shoulder-length or shorter.True, some of those women needed haircuts, but most wouldhave looked better with mid-back-length cuts instead ofautomatically going with chin-length bobs. Maybe thewomen LIKED long hair, but just wanted it to look a bitmore presentable.The stylists could have cut up to two feet of hair off of most of the women (for donation to the cancer patients)and still left them with hair a few inches below theshoulder.IMHO the redhead whose wavy hair covered her shoulders(I think she was a daughter or other relative of themakeover recipients) had a more attractive haircut thanany of the test subjects, before or after their cuts.---C.C.
Callie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
Zorak:I believe you could find very many long-hairs who disagree.> Besides, what is so hard about a simple> blunt-length haircut?That's the problem. Stylists think that is all there is to long hair. Like I said, I've had a good cut a couple of times so I KNOW the difference. I can tell if I have a good cut by simply brushing my hair afterwards. You have to have long hair to understand. Every long-hair I've ever met is WAY more particular about the care and cut of their hair than anyone I know with short hair. We're always trying to find THE stylist for long hair. That's the only reason I even found this site.The ideal cut for me would be one that is edged at the ends so that it incourages the ends to curl under, is mostly straight across the back until the very sides where it slightly rounds out (so it isn't a harsh stright line), possibly some "Rachael" fringes on the side. I haven't found a stylist that can do the first two requirements well enough so that I would trust him/her to give me the finges.I know what you are thinking. That straight thing I want is actually the "blunt" you are stating. By no means is it. That "curling under" thing is the most important thing to my style, and a blunt cut will NOT curl under due to the weight of long hair. Not to mentin what humidity does to a blunt cut. Ideally, with the right cut, I could blow dry and go without using the curling iron to tame under my ends.It is just not that simple.Respectfully,Callie :)
Jamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
Dave,The same should go for guys. Why is it that guys are discouraged from wearing long hair or certain types of hairstyles even if the style brings out their best features and hides the unwanted ones. Guys get the typical short cuts because it is the guy thing to do and many people don't like to accept something different. I am a guy and I would like to look my best. If that is a crew cut then so be it but I think that guys are not given best cuts/styles based on their features like girls are and to me that is a shame. I was told by my stylist that a chin length bob would be the best cut for my features and I let my hair grow into a bob just below my ears but due to the stringent stereotypes of society and the constant pressure to have a more guy cut I cut it off. Why can't guys have the best cut for thier features instead of the guy cut just because it is what most of society wants?> Jena,> I'm just want to clarify the "appropriate"> use of a given hair style or> length, let me see if I have this right... It's okay> for hairstylists> to advise the adaptation of a shorter hairstyle> (typically described as> "face framing") to help de-emphasize certain> facial features, but you> say it's not okay for a woman to choose very long hair> to de-emphasize> her weight (or facial features)? Hmmm... seems like a> double standard.> So if a woman feels that wearing her hair long or very> long helps her> de-emphasize any of her features to which she doesn't> want to attract> attention, why shouldn't she feel free to do so?> Who says their long hair didn't look great on them?> (It did) Besides,> why limit the reasons a woman can wear long hair? If> she wants to wear> it because it looks great on her, and/or because it> hides extra weight,> and/or because it hides certain facial features, then> why aren't any of> those valid reasons for choosing long hair?> Dave
Jamie :)
David Justin Lynch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Justin Lynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
What a disgusting program.DAVID, Esquire> I just finished watching a makeover episode of the> Maury Povich show, consisting entirely of women with> very long hair (waist legnth or longer) having their> hair cut to at least shoulder-legnth or shorter.> The women had a variety of reasons for appearing on> the show, from one woman who wanted the trip to New> York, to one who expressly wanted to donate her hair> to Locks of Love (all women on the show donated their> ponytails; a spokeswoman from the organisation said> that it takes nine to ten ponytails to make one wig> for a child...anybody know if this number is> true?)after her own cancer scare.> Others had what appeared to be family pressure. One> woman's mother wanted her to have her hair cut short> while the mother could still see it. (Mother had a> progressive eye disease taking her sight.) Another's> son couldn't remember seeing his mother with short> hair, ever. Another's husband wanted a change after 25> years of marriage. Another woman wanted to be taken> more "seriously" in her new business, rather> than getting all the sexual-related comments men often> gave her (including one man's reported request that> she "bathe him in her long locks of love.")> All the ponytails were cut on-camera, with, of course,> a variety of reactions from immediate pleasure to> tears. The women all appeared to be happy with the new> looks at the end, though.> Personally, I thought they all looked great in the> beginning, with long, shiny, spectacular hair. Most of> the makeovers looked just fine, but not distinctive.> The daughter whose mother requested the cut looked a> lot like her mom afterward.> Just thought I'd put it out there and see what> everyone had to say. Is there a pressure on these> makeover shows to just cut? Why not have an episode> showing how versatile and lovely longer hair can be?> Kestra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic