Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When Are Bangs No Longer Bangs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When Are Bangs No Longer Bangs?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:03pm
Hi, Hair Politicians. This isn't a contoversial topic, I don't think, but I'd like to improve my hair terminology.I am growing out my bangs. I don't want them to meet the bottom perimeter of my hair, though. Rather, I'd like for them to grow out into jaw-length, face-framing pieces. I see a lot of models with this cut--mostly one length with a few "pieces" (not really laters) around the face. You know, to avoid the severe Cher look.But what are these called? I've heard people refer to chin-length or even waist-length bangs. But I always thought that once they got past the eyes and blended into the hair, they were no longer bangs.Just wondering,Ally
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:03pm
> Hi, Hair Politicians. This isn't a contoversial topic,> I don't think, but I'd like to improve my hair> terminology.> I am growing out my bangs. I don't want them to meet> the bottom perimeter of my hair, though. Rather, I'd> like for them to grow out into jaw-length,> face-framing pieces. I see a lot of models with this> cut--mostly one length with a few "pieces"> (not really laters) around the face. You know, to> avoid the severe Cher look.> But what are these called? I've heard people refer to> chin-length or even waist-length bangs. But I always> thought that once they got past the eyes and blended> into the hair, they were no longer bangs.> Just wondering,> AllyAlly,I agree with you, once the bangs go below the eyes, and hair is parted in the middle, the hair then becomes layered with shorter and longer layers. I would not call the shorter layers bangs, for bangs to me are over the forehead. Although the bangs may be longer than eye level with hair parted on the side, bangs by my definition should cover the forehead. Anyway, that is my two cents worth.
Iggy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:03pm
I'm in the UK and I've always wondered why they're called bangs in the US. Over here it's called a fringe, which has a pretty obvious derivation. Can anyone enlighten me.I agree it's not a fringe once it's below the eyes..Iggy..
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:03pm
Heh heh. Here we kind of distinguish between them. "Fringe" means bangs that are skimpy and see-through.Ally
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:03pm
> But what are these called? I've heard people refer to> chin-length or even waist-length bangs. But I always> thought that once they got past the eyes and blended> into the hair, they were no longer bangs.> Just wondering,> AllyI am growing my bangs out, too, although I've still not decided for certain if I'm growing them all the way out to match the length of the rest of my hair, or if I'll keep them chin/neck length. Right now, they're below my chin, and I can easily pull them to touch my neck.I consider bangs to be bangs as long as they don't stay with the rest of the hair, meaning be tucked behind the shoulders and stay put, like the rest. And, I agree, Iggy, "bangs" is definitely a weird word.Jennifer Eve
Avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic