Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Haircut Blues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haircut Blues
    Posted: February 28 2000 at 9:40am

Okay, so I'm growing my hair out like many of you. Right? Every 8 to 10 weeks, I submit to a trim to take off any split ends and maintain the shape of my hair, which is lightly layered around my face. I have a round face.

The stylists are very good about observing my request of "no more than half an inch." Still, after it's done, I inevitably get depressed. I see those snips of hair scattered on the floor, and I can't help but think there's a month of growth down the drain. This depression follows me for several days sometimes.

Does anyone else experience this? I /know/ it's irrational and that these trims are absolutely necessary, especially until I get rid of all old coloring jobs. But I want /long/ hair so desperately. (Right now I'm on the cusp of "long," what some people would consider "medium.")

Another question: Does layering around the face make hair look shorter somehow? Mine seems to be taking forever....

Ally
Griffon View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2000 at 10:38pm
At least your hairstylist honors your request of only a slight trim. Try going it out for a year only to have a new stylist set you back months by cutting off two inches just to "level" the cut!
longhair2000 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhair2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2000 at 3:24am
Ally,

I have been growing mine out for the first time over the course of the last year and fortunately I've had my stylist for over 20 years and she is very attentive to my wishes. I have been going to her every 3 months lately and she has been only cutting off about 1/4 inch each time. I've been using better products than I've used in the past (Aveda shampure shampoo & conditioner sometimes with Cherry/Almond Bark conditioner--depending on my mood) and she's said my hair has never been in better condition.

Try getting your stylist to trim less like mine then seeing less on the floor afterwards should help lessen the post-cut depression. I've also been using HF-37 for over 6 months & it seems to be helping even though I don't bother measuring. It's kinda like not wanting to weight yourself during a diet, because you never seem to loose as much or as fast as you want.

longhair2000
JES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2000 at 10:43am
Try taking a photo out when your hair was short and compare with how it is today. It won't make your hair go any faster but you might not be so depressed. Personally, there is nothing as bad as someone growing their hair out and not taking care of it. Keep getting your hair cut!
kt8t View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kt8t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2000 at 12:45pm
I'm right there with you. I have been trying to grow my hair out for several years and am still above the shoulders. Yesterday I went for the proverbial trim and now have a hacked up mess that is (to me, anyway) way more than a trim. In order to fix it I would have to go even shorter so instead I just ordered HF 37 and will try to find a way to style it until it grows some more. I moved to a new city and have yet to find a stylist who doesn't cut too much off. When your hair only grows 1/4" a month a 1/2" trim is quite devestating. I'm depressed too. Hang in there, you are not alone.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic