Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Males as hairdressers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
EdAzner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdAzner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Males as hairdressers.
    Posted: December 16 2002 at 1:38pm
I don`t know how much this has been discussed on this board, but I thought I would throw this out there and see what you all have to say about it.

As a male who wants to be a hairdresser (and will hopefully be starting his training in the Summer); what do you all think. I have some people that I know that are vary supportive about it, and want to know how it works out. On the other hand there are some people I know I do not bring it up with them because they come from a different way of thinking than all the supportive, positive people. They seem to have that stereotype that male hairdressers are the limp wristed varity and generally want no part of that. I generally do not disclose my future plans to those sorts of people.

Another thing that has come to my mind is what do women think when they have a male hairedresser? I have a friend that would much rather have a male hairedresser than a female one. Is she an exception or a rule?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully answer.
Ed Azner

BTW: Where did this stereotype of all male hairedressers being Gay come from?
Gloria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gloria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 3:23pm
Quote BTW: Where did this stereotype of all male hairdressers being Gay come from?

Because there are many gay men in the hairdressing/beauty industry. While there are male hairdressers that aren`t gay, they may as well get used to the idea that many will question their sexual preferences. Most will figure out that you`re not gay.

Plus, it`s another stereotype to put all gay men in the limp-wrist category. There are many more who aren`t than are of the limp-wrist type.

Anyway, to answer your questions ... Men do very well as hairdressers. If you have good people skills and learn to fine tune the art of hairdressing, you will most likely do better than most women in the industry. It`s not that men hairdressers are better than women hairdressers, it`s because they are men servicing women and women believe everything their male hairdresser tells them ... or at least they want to believe it.

I`m probably going to get some flack for that comment but it has been my observation for the past 38 years in the industry. I`m not saying women haven`t been just as successful but if you weigh the numbers, men are typically more successful if they stay in the industry.

There are women who will not let a man touch their hair but that is also true for others not letting a women hairdresser touch their hair. For the most part it comes down to personalities and level of skill.

Having said all of the above, your level of success is entirely up to you.

Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2002 at 2:04am
Hey! Don`t put too much stock in what they say, both the good and the bad. Take heart in the good, of course, and ignore the bad. If being a hairstylist is what you want to do, then you go right ahead and do it. Yeah, there is that sort of stereotype that all male stylists are gay, but there`s stereotypes about a lot of things and they mostly come from ignorant people who don`t want to understand or who want the world to exist only as they define it...these things are meaningless. Follow your heart & pursue your dream.
Personally, I would have no problem at all going to a male stylist (I have a couple times before). Quite a few of the world`s most renowned stylists and pioneers in the world of hair have been men (anybody hear of a guy named Vidal Sassoon?). Does it mean that you are maybe sensitive and have an eye for beauty and a desire to create beauty? Sure. Does having these things mean that you must be gay? Not at all! To let you in on a little secret.... a lot of girls want a guy with a sensitivity toward beauty and creativity. We don`t all want beefed-up chest beaters! Anyway, maybe I`m guilty of stereotyping a bit here....
Look, in the end, there`s only you and God to answer to about what you`ve done with yourself. What`s between you and God is between you and God, but what`s between you and yourself is simply this; have you done what you wanted to do? It would be a pity to look back and realize that you`ve denied yourself your own ambitions because of what someone else thought. If any of these people truly care for you, and wish you the best, then they will come to understand, sooner or later. If they can`t understand, its their problem, not yours.
Anway, all the best of luck & many blessing to you in making your decision & in your future. :)

Love,
Ingrid
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2002 at 7:22am
Life becomes very difficult when one consume themselves with what others think. Always be aware that all action, big and small have consiquences, good and bad. But worring about what people will think of your career choice? When your at the top of your game and getting 60 bucks per 1/2 hour appointment you will not care what anyone thinks!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2002 at 1:29pm
If it inspires you - than make it your destiny.
Do not allow the opinions of others to chain you.
Go for it.

How do I feel about male hairdressers?
Well, being a hot-blodded female, I feel pretty good about letting a man wash and condition my hair and fiddle with it for an hour or so.
Seriously - I have decided not to cut my hair ever again and the one negative aspect of this is not having that talented young man at Visage hairdressers "do his thang" on me. That man is a god of hair art with his magic sissors!!!
I have had 3 male hairdressers and 3 female. The guys in my experience are more focused, less chatty and very attentive.
I can honestly say (IMHO) that I really appreciate male hairdressers.
The good ones are miracle-workers.
Hope you go be one
Uzi

EdAzner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdAzner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2002 at 3:57pm
Gloria, Ingrid, Hal and Uzma

Thanks for all your kind words. I`ve pretty much made my choice and there`s not a whole lot that can happen to de-rail those plans.

I just threw this out there because it was something that was on my mind and I knew I could get some type of good response from you all.

Now for those of you who have read my post but have not posted; what`s holding you back? I`d love to have some more thoughts on this.

Thanks again,
Ed Azner
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2002 at 11:34am
I enjoy cutting hair and have done my wife`s for many years. I too thought about becoming a hairdresser. I enjoy the artistry involved and think I do a good job on my wife`s hair (sorry, I hate bragging!) I do not enjoy my current job very much and would like a change - unfortunately my wife has a problem with me being a hairdresser (guys in general) I think it is the perception that they must be gay (I guess)... Since I adore my wife I do not want to put her in a situation that she is embarrassed by me. I tried to bring it up before but the look and answer told me that it is not a good idea. Oh well, I can still enjoy cutting her hair.
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2003 at 5:33am
Hi!
Just wanted to share my experience. My favorite hairdresser, who did my hair during my most self conscious days of high school and college was my friend`s dad. He was and is the absolute best stylist I ever had. He had his own salon, but still did cuts and color. What I admired the most about him was that he made my hair the complete and total focus. He knew so much about hair and taught me a lot about mine. I have had all types since then and none have come close to the same experience. What I guess I am saying is, if you love what you do, share your knowledge with your client and focus on their hair as the topic of conversation ( a little personal chatting doesn`t hurt either) you will do great!

BTW - I also have two personal friends who are male stylists who are happily married and hteir wives have no prob with what they do for a living.

jacqui
Bill W View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 9:08am
Stereotyping hairdressing as unmanly unfortunately is common. In my old unit (military) was one guy, a friend was was 225 and built like a tree, caught some flak from other guys. We worked out at the gym together and he confided it really bothered him. His mom owned a salon and he worked in it to help out the family. Well he was quite good at it, he would cut and color his mom's hair as well as doing the customers that came in. I told him I thought he was still alright and mentioned that the other guys were probably jealous because he had a job where he could meet beautiful women, play with their hair and get paid for it. WE had a good chuckle. Well I had a girlfriend was a stylist who taught me how to cut her hair by teaching me on her sister's first. I enjoyed doing it and still give haircuts and trims to female friends as well as my wife. As a matter of fact I saw a friend whom I had not seen in a long time this weekend at a mall. I saw her down to her knees, brown hair and walked over to say hello. I mentioned I knew it was her by her hair. She immediately told me she needed a trim badly. I joked that I was sorry I didn't bring my scissors. She replied she didn't want me to cut it right there, but that she would appreciate having me give her a trim. She said I was the one guy she could always trust with the scissors as I always did a great job and wouldn't get scissor happy on her. So I did last week and while I was doing a favor for a friend, I certainly enjoyed brushing it for her and running my fingers through her hair as I trimmed it for her. It had been a long time since her last trim and the ends were quite ragged.I had to take off almost eight inches to get rid of the damage and get the ends looking neat. I told her up front before I cut and she said she expected it would need it. So yes, I believe normal straight guys can be hairdessers. If I did not enjoy my present job, I would consider it as a career change.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 4:28pm
Thanks for the story about your friend in the military. That was very cool. And thanks for sharing about your amateur trimming!

I used to beg my ex husband to trim the back of my hair, pleading "just cut straight across the back! It's so easy. Please????????????" and he never would! I was growing it very long then, and only went for trims about once a year, so this would have been very helpful.

What a guy! Nice to hear from a man who doesn't fear the scizzors!
[/url]

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 8:25pm
I've worked with 6 different Male Stylists through out my carreer, all straight, not that that matters to me...Just an interesting tid bit.

Our current Guy Stylist, Christopher John is married to a beautiful woman, 15 years his junior...and he knocks down some pretty damn good money doing hair on mostly women... who are his own personal FAN CLUB. They Adore Him!!
Its sickening really...TEE HEE just kidding.
Melba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 12:49pm
Y'all worked with SIX straight guys that were hairdressers. That must be some kinda record!!!
I've met a few male hairdressers in my time, and only a very small percentage of them was straight fellas.
You are lucky , were any of them cute? Did yohave yourself a time with any of them ???
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 2:47pm
Oh MELBAAAA....! The way you do go on, Girl. Tee Hee... They were all pretty cute.....But honestly, Noooo, I never did the Horizontal Sweaty with any of them, Haaaa.

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2003 at 12:52pm
I have had many, many male hairdressers and I would say it is about half and half gay to straight. Most all of them were wonderful, artistic, sensitive people and I enjoyed having them do my hair. I have also had many female hairdressers as well, some good and some not so good. I don't think it is the gender that matters so much as whether or not the person has what it takes to be really good. In addition to training and experience, I truly believe that some people are given the ability to do hair as a gift and either you have it or you don't. Those who don't won't ever be really good.

I wish you the best in your mission to become a hairstylist and I would not worry one bit what anyone says about any stereotypes they might have for the profession. I believe there is a real paradigm shift going on there anyway. Most good hairstylists make lots of money. What could be better than that? Just don't call yourself Mr. My first hairstylist in high school was Mr. Perry. He wasn't gay but what a silly name....
Bill W View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 6:02pm
Elissa, sorry to hear you ex was not being willing to take care of his lady. I guess he had doubts about himself or maybe he felt it was too hard. I just got off duty an hour ago, (activated for OEF, still CONUS though) and I found your post quite a pleasant one. I spent some time in Q8 and at the AB I was at there was no "hairdresser" for the women, only a barber for the men. The muslim barber would not even entertain touching a women's hair. Going to Camp Doha for the ladies was limited due to the local terrorist threat. I trimmed one female coworker's mid back ponytail and bangs in the tent area and followed up a couple more women with bangs in their eyes as well as long hair trims. The flying schedule caused me to have wacky hours, otherwise I would have probably done a few more. There were showers and relatively decent hours so I didn't have any one asking me to chop off their long hair. While I really admire long hair on a lady and have refused previously to give short haircuts to long haired friends, wartime ops (long hours, no showers) conditions would be a reason to revisit my longstanding belief on the subject. But thankfully I did not face that tough choice. Love it long and neatly groomed. BTW are you still growing yours long or have you gave in to the pressures to cut off your long locks? I hope you keepingyour locks great.
Bill W View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 6:02pm
Elissa, sorry to hear you ex was not being willing to take care of his lady. I guess he had doubts about himself or maybe he felt it was too hard. I just got off duty an hour ago, (activated for OEF, still CONUS though) and I found your post quite a pleasant one. I spent some time in Q8 and at the AB I was at there was no "hairdresser" for the women, only a barber for the men. The muslim barber would not even entertain touching a women's hair. Going to Camp Doha for the ladies was limited due to the local terrorist threat. I trimmed one female coworker's mid back ponytail and bangs in the tent area and followed up a couple more women with bangs in their eyes as well as long hair trims. The flying schedule caused me to have wacky hours, otherwise I would have probably done a few more. There were showers and relatively decent hours so I didn't have any one asking me to chop off their long hair. While I really admire long hair on a lady and have refused previously to give short haircuts to long haired friends, wartime ops (long hours, no showers) conditions would be a reason to revisit my longstanding belief on the subject. But thankfully I did not face that tough choice. Love it long and neatly groomed. BTW are you still growing yours long or have you gave in to the pressures to cut off your long locks? I hope you keepingyour locks great.
SagGirl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 11:15pm
My hair stylist is a man. I LOVE him. I wouldn't trade my AJ fo rany woman in the world!! Go for it~
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 4:41am
Originally posted by Bill W Bill W wrote:

BTW are you still growing yours long or have you gave in to the pressures to cut off your long locks? I hope you keepingyour locks great.

Bill, thanks for your nice reply. Wish I understood some of those military acronyms, but overall I get the picture. Thank you for your military service.

I trimmed my hair quite a bit, I've posted pictures in the "General Hair Talk" forum if you want to see the before and after photos.

Elissa
[/url]

Lily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2003 at 1:17pm
I love male hair-dressers. They are so cute when they're all artsy and delicate with our hair. I don't know why, I feel like a man would be more careful to do a woman's head right, being less prone to PMSing and all. I've never experienced a male hair-dresser who didn't listen to me or did as he would, or messed up my hair. (Unlike many female, ugh, long story). So yes, I look for males, most of the time.
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2003 at 5:00pm
Since it's on the subject of male hairdressers, I noticed the top hairdressers and color masters ARE men. Look at Vidal Sasson, Paul Mitchell, Robert Craig, to name a few. Those are men and are viewed as artiste extraordinaire in hairdressing industry.

For some reason, when it comes to beauty and hair industry, males tend to be more recognized and famous than women in similar positions, and women are more famous if they are models.

Correct me if I'm mistaken on this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic