Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1940's Hair Styles for Men

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
appleseed View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote appleseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1940's Hair Styles for Men
    Posted: March 03 2000 at 11:07am
I am the Artistic Director of a community theatre in Syracuse, NY. We are about to produce a play set in the 1940s and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what hair styles men (older men and college age and young boys) were wearing at that time or where on the Internet to find that information.
longhair2000 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhair2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2000 at 11:38pm
appleseed,

Rent some videos of movies from the late 30's and early 40's thru WWII. That may give you an idea of what they were wearing at that time. Just a suggestion.

longhair2000
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2000 at 1:53pm
Due to first post-Depression, then postWW2 austerity, one of the most popular styles was the "short back and sides", popular because it would last 2 or 3 months before the next haircut. This involved shaving the hair off above the ears and at the back, then graduating it up to about 1/2 in. long at the crown. Young boys would have it all shaved off almost up to the crown in what was known as a "tuppeny all-off" as it only cost 2 pence (1 1/2 cents). The top was longer, always brushed sideways and always with a pencil-straight parting at one side. I have sported this style all my life and may send a picture if you want.
phil
fin34 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fin34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2000 at 9:14am
very short back and sides 4 men ultra crew cuts 4 boys
fin34 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fin34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2000 at 9:16am
fin34 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fin34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2000 at 9:19am
read your story sounds grat where in uk can i get this stystyle my hairdresser cant cut it short enough
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic