Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad Tangle & Knot In Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cheryl Harrell View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheryl Harrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Tangle & Knot In Hair
    Posted: February 16 2004 at 7:57am
I found these boards recently & this looks like the place to get help for my problem. I have long thick wavy curly hair that goes partway down my back. It gets frizzy too LOL! When I was young I had it down to my butt then cut it into a shoulder length shag when I was going into 9th grade. Then some yrs back grew it out long again. I like it long cuz I can wear it all kinds of ways, up or down & with pretty hair barrettes etc in it. I'm now in my 40's...

My hair has been tangling alot here lately. I got this one really bad tangle in the back of it more towards the top. Tangled in a bad knot I cannot get out. :( I can't cut it out or it will ruin my hair. :( I have tried everything to get it out-- putting on spray on leave in conditioner, combing, brushing & no go. I only wash my hair once a week cuz it takes too long for it to dry etc. Even my mom tried & couldn't get it out. Once a week I go to her house to wash it & she sets it for me cuz she is so good at it. The rest of the week I use hot rollers...

I am suspecting the problem is due to the fact I sleep in a hair bonnet & wear one around the house when not going anywhere to keep it outta the way when cooking etc.

What can I do to get the tangle out? I am desperate here LOL! & How can I keep future tangles out? My mom said if I can't get it out, she may have to take me to get my hair cut. I'll get it trimmed/cut some sometimes to get it shaped & split ends off but don't want to cut it off.

I am desperate LOL!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2004 at 5:17pm
Hi Cheryl,

I'm sorry to hear that some of your hair is caught up in a bad tangle.

A few random suggestions (in case you haven't already tried them)... try using vegetable oil on the snarl... also, try using the point of a pin to pull apart strands tied in a knot. Try to separate individual strands, if you can.

If all else fails, try a tiny snip into part of the knot to see if it will help loosen the rest of the snarl. If this works, you may not lose as many hair strands as you fear. I know it's scary, but desperate straights call for desperate measures.

I know you don't want to hear any "lectures," but it's imperative to keep hair sufficiently detangled to avoid this sort of thing. Wearing it up every day is not the cause of the snarl; not taking the time every day to ensure that tangles are untangled can (and obviously does sometimes) lead to this problem.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine got a horrible snarl, which wrapped up almost all of her calf-length hair, that just could not be untangled. She ended up having to cut her hair to mid-back length (actually, just below the snarl). It has since grown to tailbone-length.

I feel badly for you. I hope you are able to keep most of your hair.
LuckyChance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyChance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2004 at 6:17pm
Hi there.

I just had the same issue. My hair is rather delicate and tangled like crazy. The best thing I can suggest is to coatyour fingers with almond or jojoba oil and try to detangle using your fingers. It'll take some time for the tangle to come out but this way you can safely save your hair.

Good luck.
Flatter me, and I may not believe you.
Criticize me, and I may not like you.
Ignore me, and I may not forgive you.
Encourage me, and I will not forget you.
Love me, and I may be forced to love you.

William Arthur Ward
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2004 at 7:09pm
What kind of care besides oil can be done to counter tangling ? I mean I have more than enough oil/grease at the moment :(
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2004 at 7:00pm
Hi Lucky Chance!

Folks, I can attest to Lucky's experience with the knotting. She was indeed lucky as her hair is very very thick; unless you looked for the cut section, you'd never know.

Oh, and Kintaro, the recommendations to use oils are for assistance in removing bad knots, not for everyday use as a tangle-preventer. The best tangle-preventer I know if is a wide-tooth comb.
Tap Dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2004 at 2:41pm
Hi, Cheryl. Good luck with your hair! I hope you're able to work that knot out. I had been getting lots of little tangles lately, but I started using "Aussie Slip Detangler" and sleeping with my hair in scrunchies. It's helped a lot!
[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/yerdumm/tapdancer2.gif" />
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheryl Harrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2004 at 2:23am
Thanks so much for the support ya'll. My mom is letting me use a red hairbrush of hers & it seems to be working well on my hair. I want to find one like it but if I can't, she may never get hers back LOL! My dad whose in his 80's is real good at fixing stuff so he said he'd tye getting the tangle out for me. He used a pin to get it out as folks had suggested on here & the good news is he got it out. Lost a little hair too lol but problem solved. I bought some Suave conditioner that is supposed to be like the expensive stuff but cheaper & bough this Suave stuff that is like Infusium but cheaper. Hopefull these will work well on my hair. My hair is frizzy which makes it more due to tangle. It used to not be so frizzy when I was younger. Anyway the good news is the tangle is out. :) Thanks for the support!
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 8:47pm
Woo hoo!

So glad to hear your father was able to help get the knot untangled!

Best of luck to you Cheryl, in keeping the knots away for good.
LuckyChance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyChance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 2:24am
That's great news. I've found that braiding my hair at night helps keep tangles down. And you can try a satin pillowcase as well. It works wonders.
Flatter me, and I may not believe you.
Criticize me, and I may not like you.
Ignore me, and I may not forgive you.
Encourage me, and I will not forget you.
Love me, and I may be forced to love you.

William Arthur Ward
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 5:36am
"and who will brush my hair when he is gone?"
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheryl Harrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 7:57am
Thanks for the support ya'll. My hair does feel lighter LOL probably cuz of my dad taking the knot out & my mom trimming the split ends for me plus I'd trimmed some split ends myself. My late grandma used to braid her hair at nite. I can't do that as I sleep in curlers sometimes. Thanks for the help!
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 6:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic