Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help meee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 11:49am
idea time, how about if i just whack this over and wash my hair about every 2-3 days.

Secret Agent lightly lubricates hair leaving it supple,smooth and shiny.It gives 24 hr coverage,permeating the hair shaft,taming static and flyaway hair.With a sunscreen to help protect from UV damag
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 12:37pm
I haven't seen or tried that "Secret Agen" stuff, but it looks cool...That's a good "drugstore" brand too. Next time I'm at Target, I'll look at it.

I'd still write to the Terax people...the samples they'll send you are free and they won't need a credit card.

Most on-line places will also let you order by sending them a money order. ...Just a thought.

Anyhow, for the other store-brands you asked about, I guess I would suggest the Pantene...they have a decent product and a lot of choices - especially in the way of conditioners and deep conditioners. I just wouldn't get any kind of shampoo that is a combined shampoo-N-conditioner.

Now that you got your hair cut, take care of those hair tips religiously with conditioner and leave-in and you'll love how your hair will start looking as it grows out.

I'll try to think of some other companies you could email who might send you free samples. At least then you can experiment with some of the "higher end" products before clunking down some big bucks.
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2004 at 10:03am
well i just washed my hair and it looked absolutly crap dry, lots of static n split ends, so i just put some gel on and spiked it up till it gets longer, im still gonna wash it often tho, im guessing i should shampoo about every 2 days and condition it every day rite? would that fix split ends or r they perminent?

also u stil didnt tell me wot that product was :D
it seems to have a bit of hold, looks slightly shiny (not greecy) ,ill try to find u more pics...
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2004 at 1:11pm
Which product? I think you mean a pomade...that will give hold but not dry out...depending on what type you use, you can get pomade with shine or pomade that makes hair a little dull-looking (which is cool on the right hair).

4 good pomades are:
-Aveda's "Control Paste"
It smells great and is very conditioning. It will give
you a matte finish with little shine.

-Bumble and Bumble's "SumoTech"
Also smells great but takes some work getting
used to. It's also a matte (VERY matte).

-Bumble and Bumble's "Styling Wax"
This one adds a lot of shine and will give you the
slightly greasy look if that's what you want.

-Physique's "Precision Wax"
This has a lot of hold, shine and is great for using
in small amounts to create a separated look.

You mentioned you had bad luck after drying your hair...that the Poof came back. You need to add some sort of product - leave-in conditioning to the hair while it's still damp. If you dry the hair before putting any products in, you will, for sure, get a lot of poof. Pomades, on the other hand, are best suited as finishers...once the general style is set with any other products.

About the split ends...you can't fix them and make them go away...but you can minimize them if you condition regularly and use styling products that condition. Think of a split end like the end of a frayed rope. And think of the styling products like adding glue to the end of the rope. It doesn't fix the rope, but keeps all the frayed ends together.

Keep doing regular deep conditionings and you'll see improvement...don't expect it to happen right away...it takes time and you have to change your routine.

On the gel you are using, check the indredient list...if you see alcohol in there, that could ultimately add to your problems because alcohol is drying to hair and is added to a lot of gels because people want a product that dries fast.
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2004 at 1:46pm
example time

this is pomade? sry but i cant find a good picture
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2004 at 3:03pm
The first photo looks to have little-if-any pomade in it. Notice the hair is not very shiny, but at the same time is not poofy or curly.

There is a product by Phytologie called Phytodefrisant Balm and that's what it looks like could have been used (or something similar). That product will provide a smooth and matte finish to hair...it will look like there isn't product in but the fly-aways are tamed. There are all sorts of other straigtening balms/gels/etc, but many of them have silicones in them, which will not give you the look in this photo.

An alternative "drugstore" product that is somewhat comparable to the Phyto balm is the John Freida straightening balm (comes in a container that looks like a stick of deoderant). That product is very conditioning and doesn't impart a lot of shine. You might like that.

Both products work best when worked into damp hair. Once the product is in, you could comb the hair into shape (use a wide-toothed comb to give the type of separation you see in the first of the last two photos you posted. From there, you can let the hair completely air dry before you do anything else to it, or if you want to go for a smooth look with little separation, you could blow the hair dry (using a flat brush and blow and brush the hair in the direction you want the style to be set in).

For the second photo, it looks like the person probably has either natural or straigtened hair...plus there is a lot of shine...and there is a lot of separation. That leads to the possability of a couple of products. It could be a shining pomade like Aveda's Brilliante Anti-Humectant, but he probably wouldn't keep the separation he has in the style. More than likely, it's a shiny wax-based pomade...like that Physique product I mentioned a few posts back.

Any of this help?
D.
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2004 at 8:43am
phew, finally a product i can buy :D that john frieda stuff i can get eazyy.

so, lemmi go throught it and u tell me if im rite,

wet/shampoo/deep condition/dry out/add that agent stuff/add strightening balm and comb through

also whats a wide tooth comb :D?
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2004 at 8:44am
or wont i need the friz ease if i get this balm?
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2004 at 8:45am
oh damn, the shop i buy it from doesnt seem to sell. would u mind going to this link and seeing which i should use, like that balm thing

http://www.asda.com/asda_shop/sys/web_sys02_a_main_frameset.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1236886402.1075214925@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladckiddjmljcfkfcfkjdgoodglo.0
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2004 at 10:46am
THe link doesn't work, but if you tell me what product you're looking at, I can look it up and write back about it.

On the list of steps...add rinse after deep conditioning and on the dry out part, you don't want your hair totally dry before you add the straigtening balm. I haven't used the Secret Agent stuff, but that might need to go on when the hair is styled and dry...not sure yet on that.

A wide-tooted comb just looks like a regular comb, but its teeth are larger and spaced further apart...it gives you more separation - instead of helmet head, which is what you'd get with a regular comb.

The combing part after putting in the straightening balm is important, because the combing straightens the hair and the balm sets in the straigtness.
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2004 at 9:49am
i dont need to put any gel or anything in it rite?
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2004 at 6:26pm
ok, this stuff, it clumps together bits of hair and makes it slightly darker and adds a little hold, its pomade rite? coz i cant seem to get hold of pomade, so far i got deep condition and defrizz agent stuff, im looking on asda.com (:P) n e chance u could look for me? coz i just cant find it grr
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2004 at 10:03pm
*...and the lighbulb pops up over my head*
Okay...I just went to the site and now I get it...you're in the UK, right? I was going to ask before because I looked everywhere for that Secret Agent product and it was only showing up on the UK web sites...they have it here in the US, but it's marketed as Secret Weapon instead of Agent (no clue why).

Anyhow...okay so I looked at the site and am not familiar with a number of the brands there - however, it looked like they do have a lot of pomade-type products but they are calling them wax products...which is fine because pomades are generally waxy. ...a rose by another name...I think that's what we're dealing with here.

Okay so when you go back to the site, look for hair products that use the word "wax" as part of their name or description. Those are the products you'll use to get separation and create a "chunked" or sleek look and tame the fly-aways.

It's easy to use too much though...and then when you do, you're hair will look like crap and you'll have to shampoo it all out and start over.

Definately practice with the product...starting with a little and then get the hang of it. If you have a disaster or don't like how it works out one time, try again but try the product in a different order...meaning, maybe you can try adding the wax to the ends of the hair while it's still damp...and let's say you hate how your hair turns out...then next time, try adding the product once your hair is completely dry.

Do you have any other major retail stores near you that sell hair products? If you come across another brand you want me to read up on and advise on, let me know. I kept mentioning Target in my other posts, but realize now, you might not have a Target store in your area if you are in the UK.
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2004 at 1:18pm
i did use wax be4 but i used too much and it looked super greacy, could u plz tell me how much of it to use and when i shuold use it, like wash/condition/deep con a bit on wet hair/anti friz stuff same way/then wax?

sry if its confusing
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2004 at 7:47pm
Wax can be a tricky thing to get used to...and then once you get it right, it will seem as soon as your hair grows a little that the wax doesn't work again.

It's strange that way. Anyhow, try not to use the wax when your hair is wet unless you really want a sleek look.

Still do the shampoo/deep condition/de-frizz but then kind of get your hair set and let it dry or go almost completely dry.

It's best to start with the smallest amount of wax you can. I know it is so tempting to glob a bunch in, but that's usually where things will go wrong. Try getting just a super small amount (like a one fourth the amount of say, a pea) and rub it between the palms of your hands to warm it up...and work a little to the fingertips....then kind of pull your fingers through the hair you want to apply wax to.

Doing this, you will slowly be adding wax and then you'll start to see separation in the sections of hair, along with less frizz and more shine.

The key is to start with small amounts and work it into the hair section by section.

Keep in mind too the look you'll be getting with the wax....not all of the photos you posted show styles that would be accomplished with a wax/pomade.

Also, try that technique I mentioned a few posts back...by pressing just enough wax into the tips of dry hair. Barely coat the pad of your index finger with wax and then rub together with your thumb. Then, grab chunks of hair and smooth into just the tips. You'll get a cool effect without the overall greasy look.
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2004 at 2:42pm
well how would u do it if u wanted the clumping together and like, all over ur hair
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 12:54pm
Everyone's hair is different, but I personally get the best separation when using a wax/pomade if I have already dried and styled my hair to the point that it is really "poofed out" and then I get some wax/pomade and rub it between the palms of my hands and fingers.

Then I work from the back of the head, toward the front and quickly and lightly coat sections of hair by using my fingers and just kind of grab neat the tips and smooth small amounts of product at a time to the tips. As I need more product, I rub my hands together and transfer the product that's already in my palms, to my fingertips. This lets me control how much product I use and I can apply only a small amount at a time.

I finish up with the bangs and kind of pull the product through to the tips and into the general direction I want them to hang.

If I wanted more curl and a shinier look, I could do a variation on this whole thing and start applying the wax/pomade when the hair is slightly damp - though this is more difficult to do because the moisture can result in a really greasy look or just a giant shiny waxy mound of hair - not very appealing.
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 1:27pm
gotcha, well, ill be putting a long post tomorrow about all the things i guess i havent told u, + the outcome of some of my experiments, will be a long post i guess, just lettin u know lol :D
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2004 at 11:24am
not the big post yet but... to get the separation, do u need a large tooth comb? and which type of wax should i use? hold/styling/gel wax/strong there are lots of types, the only big store i got near me is asda, could u plzzzzzzzzz look at asda.co.uk on the online shopping and see which wax is best for me, coz im stuck, tyyyy
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2004 at 12:31pm
Good timing for the lastest question since I just washed my hair, I'll tell you what I'm doing right now.

I added some leave-in conditioner and then a little Terax Lifedrops (which, you could use a light gel as a substitute).

Then I combed the hair with a wide-tooth comb, into the general shape I want the style to lay. Then I reapplied just a little more Terax Lifedrops (again, you could use any light gel here) with my fingers to just the tips of the hair on my bangs and sides.

Right now, I am letting the hair air dry and once that's done, I'll take some waxy pomade and with my fingers, work that through a few sections on the sides and bangs.

I'm looking at the web site you mentioned right now...brb.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic