Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help meee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help meee
    Posted: January 07 2004 at 12:27pm
ok i wanna grow my hair long and i want it to look kinda like this, the same kinda look/quality hair but not quite that style, how do i get me hair like that without it looking too shiny or using gel that makes it super shiny, or wax which makes it greecy.

at the min my hair has lots of static and looks pretty dull. could n e 1 plz suggest something to help?

i heard head and shoulders is really good but i also heard bad things about it. here are some pics of the kinda hair i want

like this but diff style

http://movies.go.com/images/photogallery/LastSamurai/lastsamurai_6.jpg">

this looks pretty similar but less wet looking i want

and this one is amasing

ok guys , thx alot plz help :D
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2004 at 12:20pm
Not knowing any of the following about your hair:
-Current length, texture and condition

You might try these tips for styling your hair:
(after shampooing and deep-conditioning)

1) Finger shake hair into the general shape you want the style to lay in.

2) Work through a SMALL amount of leave-in conditioner (such as Phytologie 9) through hair - working root-to-tips.

3) Repat process, working through a small amount of defrizz product (less product if using a silicone-based product). I am partial to Phytologie Phytodefrissant.

4) Press a small amount of gel or conditioning gel (such as Terax LifeDrops) into just the tips of the hair. Use this step to group together chunks of hair and further create the finished shape of the style you want.

5) If you have the time, allow the hair to air dry completely. Not only is this better for your hair, you'll have even less problems with frizz.

6) Finish the style by working small amounts at a time of either an oil-based conditioner or pomade through the tips of the hair. Use a little at a time. Try finding one of the Shea Butter based conditioning style products (Such as L'Occitane, Hanadi, Lavett & Chin, etc. Kiehl's also has some great conditioning/styling pomades).

7) If at this point, you are going for even less frizz and more separation, you can mix in your palms a some leave-in conditioner and small amount of one of the silicone shine products (LESS IS MORE) such as Phytologie's "Phytolisse" or Bumble&Bumble's "Bb Defrizz."

If you really want to go for the ultra shiny/separated/almost wet-looking look, you could replace step #7 with just running some Sebastian "Moulding Mud" through your hair.

Please respond to the board with how your luck runs with creating the style you are looking for. As you post more, you'll get additional good advice from other users.

Best of luck!
D.
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2004 at 2:17pm
wow great tips , thankyou, iv just read this and i think i will try what you say, aulthough some of the things you mentiond seem a little hard to get hold of, but thankyou very much, at the min my hair is medium thickness, and about up to my eyes (used to be longer) im growin it tho, its dyed black and i get loads of static/fly away when i wash my hair which seemed to get worse after using leave in conditioner, couple of questions tho.

how should i dry my hair, how do i stop hair fly away n stuff and which is the best shampoo i could buy in a supermarket (is head and shoulders as good as they say in the advert coz i heard lots of bad thing and lots of good) plz reply :D ty so much
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2004 at 2:21pm
also on step 2, how small are we talking?

also should i use shampoo for colour treated hair? coz i havent been doing be4, and plz suggest me one :D, a one easy to buy in the shop like panten or head and shoulders or somethin
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2004 at 2:23pm
one last thing, how often should i wash my hair and when shuold i use deep conditioner, thanks !
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2004 at 11:21am
Lot's of good questions...I'll try to answer them all. Let me know though if I miss something.

On the leave-in, a good small amount to start with would be about half the size of a marble.

Since you mentioned the static problem, that's a good cue to try and work more of any leave-in conditioners or leave-in styling aids toward the tips of your hair. This doesn't mean to use more product though...just try to get more of what you would use onto the tips. Static can actually lead to hair in worse condition because it causes split ends which will also cause your hair to look poofy.

For shampoos, since you have dyed hair, you might consider a couple of things. One would be to select one of the shampoos for color-treated hair. They tend to be more acidic; which closes down the cuticle and 1) hold in the color longer 2) increases the shine of hair without the use of yet more styling products and 3) will help reduce static fly-aways. There's a very important tip though that's true with all shampoos but even moreso with the color-protecting ones...rinse rinse rinse...and when you are done rinsing, rinse some more. Most people don't get 100% of their shampoo out of their hair and that can be their primary cause of static problems.

A couple of other tips that will improve the overall appearance and shine are to not use hot water. Try cool water to shampoo with, cooler water to rinse and cold water when rinsing away conditioner. Using cool/cold water to rinse means you have to rinse longer, but you'll like the result after doing this a few times.

How often to shampoo...
This is a question dependant on a lot of things like if you live somewhere warm, what you do between shampooing, etc. In general though, shampooing overdone is just going to cause you problems.
Try this. Let's say you currently shampoo every day...instead of shampooing on days 2 and 3, try just conditioning...and use the time you would be normally shampooing and conditioning to just condidtion. Most conditioners will do a great job of removing oils, residue from products, etc if left on a little longer. Just be sure to rinse completely.

When to deep condition...
Especially since your hair is dyed, the best answer is probably "as often as you can." Time is usually an issue though, so you could try a few things like conditioning while you sleep. You could press some conditioner into the tips of dry hair at night and after several rounds of this, you'll notice the hair improving and a lot less fly-aways.

About drying...
If you can deal with just letting your hair air dry, it's a good opportunity to improve the condition of your hair. Just shake your hair/finger-style into the general shape you're going for with just minimal product in the hair. Press in a little leave in conditioner in the tips - especially into bangs, etc...when the hair dries, you'll have added some weight and texture and be controling the fly-aways.
Once the hair is dry, you can go back and apply other styling products to add shine, etc.

If you use a blow dryer, try using the cool setting and blow the hair in the general direction you want it to lay when it is styled....i.e. like in the Depp photo in your original post, you wouldn't get that look by blow-drying the hair back and then expect the bangs to hang forward and down like that.

For product suggestions at say Target or wherever, my best suggestion is to put the bulk of the money you spend into three things. 1) a good leave-in conditioner 2) a good general conditioner that you can use as a daily and deep conditioner and 3) a gentle, color-protecting shampoo. Beyond that, then go for the styling products. They become less important the better condition your hair is in.

Sorry for the supor-long post but I hope this helps.
D.

D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2004 at 11:26am
I forgot one other conditioning tip that might help.

Whether you have just rinsed out the shampoo and are ready to condition or aren't shampooing but just conditioning, towel-dry your hair a bit before applying the conditioner.

Doing this works wonders because having less water in you hair allows the conditioner to make better contact with the hair and thus do a better job, with the use of less product.

Once the conditioner is in, you might also want to use a wide-tooth comb to carefully comb the conditioner through your hair. Doing this helps smooth the cuticle and gives you shinier hair with less fly-aways.
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2004 at 12:28pm
wow man thx for all the great help, heres my current condtion/general stuff bout my hair 4 u :D

dyed:black
fly aways: yup yup
using: 2:1 dandruf thing for a bit :(
going to use: colour treated shampoo & condtioner
also using:John frieda deep con
wash hair: about every 3 days
styling products used: non (maybie a tiny bit of gel
length: about to the top of my eyes
temperature in my area: cold, rainy windy :(
dry: towel

err, thats it, thx for all ur tips, ill wash my hair now and see how it goes. also one question, if i wanna wash my hair quickly eg going to work in the morning or stuff or waking up in morning wot do i do?

and could u suggest some decent things i can buy to dye my hair black coz the last one, felt like it was burning me.
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2004 at 12:32pm
when pressign the gel into my hair , could u plz elaborate on that plz coz im having trouble with that part
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2004 at 1:14pm
also, when u add gel to make it stay togethern clumps, u mean like this rite? coz id like mine to look tike that, thats wot the gel at the ends r for rite?
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2004 at 1:55pm
Yep - working product into the ends will help it give that clumped together look and add weight so it kind of flops down.

You might try mixing about half gel and half conditioner for doing the tips...gel alone might be to "crispy." Or instead, try a waxy pomade product (you might like this result more).

Some tricks you can do when pressing the gel or pomade into the tips though is to work with a very small amount at a time. Try having just enough product on your fingertips to smooth the product into one area at a time.

The best way I can describe doing this is with one hand, grab a clump of hair about 2 inches from the tip and with product on your thumb and forefinger of the other hand, grab the hair and smooth the product into the last inch of hair closest to the tips...working toward the tips with the product.

About color suggestions...I really can't help there. However, if your scalp is burning though when doing the color, it could be because your hair/scalp was wet from shampooing/conditioning too soon before applying color. Try doing the color a day after shampooing and conditioning. On the day of doing the color, work with a totally dry scalp. That might help.

A couple of other tips to get the most out of the color would be to make sure your hair is in the best condition possible before coloring. Also, try to minimize the amount of products you have in your hair when you color. This will help the color set in better.
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2004 at 2:06pm
You asked about when you're in a hurry...

You might look into a product made by Bumble&Bumble called Hair Powder. They make it in black. It's great for re-styling hair without re-wetting. You'll have to find a salon in your area that sells Bumble&Bumble and it's around $30 for a bottle but is super-cool and worth it (lasts a long time too).

The way it works is you pour about a dime-size portion of the powder into the palms of your hands and then hold your head upside down and run the powder all through your hair.

At first, it will kind of "fluff up" your hair but it will put the body back in and make it appear like it's been washed and dried.

Once the powder is in (takes about 5 seconds to do), you re-apply some pomade/gel back into the tips.

You'll end up with a super-cool look by doing this plus, the color of the powder (which washes out in the next shampoo) pumps up the color in your hair. Overall, the powder impars a kind of matte finish (until you put more product back in which will add the shine back).

If you find a salon in your area that sells Bumble&Bumble and call them in advance, they might invite you in to try the product there first to see if you like it or they might even offer you a sample of it to take home and try.
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2004 at 7:23am
thanks again, one thing i come across today is that this stuff (duno wot it is) is a styling product or some thing and wot it does is, makes ur hair slightly shiny, holds bits of hair together, allows movement and doesnt look greacy and doesnt seem to dry out, is this just wet look gel or something? coz it looks ace and doesnt dry out but i dunnot wot it is
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2004 at 9:55am
i dunno, kinda like this, u know its got something in it
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2004 at 9:56am

bad link
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2004 at 9:44am
oh and also im gonna be getting my hair cut soon to get the colour out, so plz gimmi tips on which shampoo and conditioner is the best :D im thinking about head and shoulders coz i do have a bit of split ends n dandruff :(. also im getting it cut coz the black has faded and i had lots of split ends and static so i screwed it up and starting again, plz post back, tyyy
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2004 at 2:58pm
When you are in getting your hair cut, definately ask the stylist, but my personal suggestion would be to not use Head-and-Shoulders.

Itchy scalp can be caused by a number of things, but all signs point to if you get into a good routine of conditioning regularly and shampooing less, the itchy scalp (and split ends) will be minimized.

My favorite shampoos though, mostly come from Photologie, which I believe HairBoutique.com sells. You can also buy the brand at Sephora and at Nieman Marcus and Nordstrom stores.

Photologie makes a great shampoo for dry hair. It's called PhytoNectar. They also make a pre-Shampoo to go with it; also called PhytoNectar. Probably their best shampoo for color-treated hair (though it's difficult to find) is PhytoCidre. It's got a LOT of cider vinegar in it and is great for locking in color. You have to rinse like crazy though.

Another line that you might want to consider getting a product or two from is Terax. Their "Rigine 8" conditioner is great and you can use just a drop or two as a leave-in conditioner. If you go on-line to Terax.com and go to their comments section, you should be able to let them know you heard about the product and ask them to send you a brochure and some samples. Ask them to send you samples of the products: Rigine 8, LifeDrops and Hydrate.

It sounds like you like to have your hair dyed, but you may have difficulty growing it out long if you dye it yourself. You might have to decide which is more important, getting the longer hair or having the color. The color out of the box at the stores is just so damaging. Anyow, your stylist will probably suggest cutting off the existing color and then growing the hair out and then to have her or him color it for you. It's worth the money but does end up becoming a recurring expense.

Good luck on your trip to get your hair cut. At some point, someone else on line is bound to read these posts and have some additional suggestions and tips.
-D.
D2521 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2004 at 3:10pm
Here's the link to Terax's web site that I mentioned in the last post: www.teraxhaircare.com/
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 10:53am
you didnt tell me what that stuff was that i didnt know about, n e way , i got my hair cut and i havent got quite all the black out yet, but its definatly better condition then be4.
GUEST! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 10:56am
also i cant get the online things coz i dont have a credit card, could u plz tell me which is the best that i could buy in a superstore eg: panten pro v, herbal essences,h&s,fructis, which is best outa those 4? and what the product i didnt know plz, ty :D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic