Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trim How Much?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trim How Much?
    Posted: May 18 2004 at 6:25am
I've been trying to maximize my hair's growth before my wedding in October, so I have tried to trim only a quarter inch every couple of months.

The result is that I now have some very dry and tangly ends with splits, which I've never dealt with before. It's my fault. Trimming too little made my hair difficult to comb and detangle, and the stress caused by trying made more damage, etc.

I know I need to face up to a "real" trim to make my hair healthy, and I have a stylist I can trust to cut whatever I ask, but how do I know how much needs to go?

The tangles and splits seem to be in the last inch of my hair, but I don't want to cut too little and possibly perpetuate the problem.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 3:07pm
Ally, my wife is 44, has 28" hair (48" "wingspan"-lol), has not had a trim in 4 mos., and has no splits. At 18, she was loaded with split ends-almost every hair! We actually went 19 months recently with nearly no frays.
What we do different now is only use soft plastic combs instead of brushes. Also, we condition the heck out of it and comd it wet with the conditioner in. Works wonders. Good luck and congrats! Bob
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 9:11pm
Bob, I'll try that! Thank you! I have in the past gone for long periods without splits, but this time...oh, boy!

Does your wife comb it out in the shower then?
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2004 at 6:48pm
Well, we only have a tub, and she (or I) comb it out while it's saturated with conditioner. Talk about no more tangles after she is out of the tub! It's silky smooth. Best, Bob
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2004 at 2:37pm
Hi Ally,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Have you tried using jojoba oil on the ends? Just a couple of drops in the palm of your hand, then rub the palms of your hands together (to spread the oil very thin), and work it into the last few inches of your hair. If 2 drops isn't enough, try more (and if too much, next time use less). This should make a huge difference in the "tangliness."

Let me know if this works for you.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2004 at 8:36pm
Dave, I'm definitely going to try that (and get my trim to remove the damage I did). I've read about jojoba oil before, but I was never sure until now how I should apply it.

Where can I buy it? At Sally's?

One more question: Does it go on damp or dry hair?
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2004 at 2:03pm
Hi Ally,

I bought a bottle of the Aveda Beautifying Composition (jojoba with added EOs) years ago and am still using it, so I haven't shopped for jojoba in awhile.

It's my understanding that it can be purchased at any health food store (that is truly a real health food store). I don't know if Sally's stocks it, but they should.

It goes on dry hair only. It's the only way to know how much to apply. Mastering the technique took me probably a dozen times. So practice on wash days. Start with a tiny amount, and if that isn't enough, add another tiny amount, and so on, until you think you've got it right. It's easy to overdo (my hair is fairly fine)... there is a fine line between "still too dry" and "lank." The results of doing it well are definitely worth the effort, though. I highly recommend the stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic