Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Merlin You Rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Merlin You Rock
    Posted: March 26 2002 at 1:07am
Hi,

My apologies for not posting this sooner. For some reason I thought that I had but then when I went back to read your recipe thread I could not find the "thank you" from me.

My brain goes out to lunch sometimes.

Anyway..........thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing all of your time and typing to give all these great recipes. I appreciate it so much and I your recipes are so great. I am slowly working my way through some of the ones that I have not tried so far.

I have been "messing" with home recipes since I was 15. :-) I love to experiment which is why I just love all your great recipes.

I have to share this funny story about home recipes. When I was 15 I had bra length hair. I was into doing everything from wrapping my entire body w/ saran wrap to simulate a home sauna to slathering all sorts of oils and creams on my hair and face.

My mom would not let me highlight my dishwater blonde hair even though all my friends were using Sun-In. In desperation to crank up my blonde I played with lemon juice and all sorts of things to lighten it - w/ minimal results I might add. :-( I dried my hair out terribly from the combo of the lemon and the sun.

At any rate, I had a big first date w/ a college guy (no - my mom didn`t know) and I decided to really condition my hair well to get rid of the lemon juice/sun brittleness. I slathered it from roots to ends with castor oil because I read that it REALLY softened hair well. I had vision of soft, shiny, glowing hair.

As you can imagine...I could not wash it out. I wound up not going on the date. Also, I discovered, after the fact, that castor oil darkens blonde hair. Yep, it darkened my hair one whole shade. I was so upset.

Seems funny now though.

I actually read a story that a woman had a date w/ Frank Sinatra but her hair dryer shorted out and she didn`t want to go out w/ wet hair so she cancelled at the last minute and he got so mad he never called her again.

Same thing happened to me w/ my castor oil hair trauma. The guy got mad and never called again. I couldn`t exactly tell him that I had a castor oil slick on my head...so I told him I was sick and he didn`t believe me. Maybe I didn`t cough loud enough.

Oh well. Live and learn. I have NEVER used undiluted castor oil on my hair since that fateful evening. I also read that too much castor oil can be toxic because of the toxicity of the castor beans used to make the oil.

Ahhhh...youth.

Thanks again. I am deeming you our resident hair wizard. :-)

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2002 at 12:36pm
Such praise...I am blushing - but LOVING it! Thanks for the kind words. I am always glad to render whatever small service I can. I hope you enjoy the recipes and they work well for you.

I have just recently gotten interested in home recipes and started collecting them. I will share any new ones I find.

Loved your castor oil story. It`s funny now but I`m sure it wasn`t the least bit amusing then. Usually the hair disasters I read about or deal with are much worse (perms, color, relaxers, etc.) so yours is a refreshing change of pace. I will be sure warn anyone about not using the oil full strength (you continue to provide a wonderful service to others), we may save someone from a bad evening.

BTW, that guy not calling you again was his loss. Let him suffer!!

Keep up the excellent work and it is always a pleasure to hear from you.

Warm Regards,
Merlin

Merlin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic