Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Karen`s Secret Basil Oil Hair Growth Recipe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Karen`s Secret Basil Oil Hair Growth Recipe
    Posted: April 03 2002 at 11:56pm
Hi,

In the late 80s I went on an extreme Medifast diet and although I lost weight, my hair fell out in chunks. I discovered, after the fact that hair loss often accompanies extreme dieting.

I discovered a formula that really made a noticeable difference for me and my hair.

The key is to getting real not synthetic Basil oil which is very expensive but works.

Good quality carrier oils you can use are almond, sesame and jojoba. Olive was too heavy to work as well w/ the basil.

Recipe

4 ounces of carrier oil (almond, sesame, jojoba)
10 drops of Basil oil
Saran wrap or plastic shower cap

Note: Depending on the length and condition of your hair you can increase or decrease the amount of carrier and Basil oil appropriately. For example, you can increase the mixture to 8 ounces of carrier oil to 20 drops of Basil or 2 ounces of oil and 5 drops of Basil.

Mix the basil oil into the carrier oil. Heat in double boiler over the stove until the oil is warm to the touch.

Using very clean fingers (important since you want to make sure you don`t transfer toxins to your roots) or cotton balls, start at the roots of your hair and apply the basil mixture. Focus the application on the roots and any areas of the scalp that are sore or tender.

Depending on the condition of your hair you may or may not want to extend the oil to the ends. Since my problem was hair loss from the roots, I focused the Basil oil on the root area only.

Wrap your head in a clean plastic shower cap or Saran Wrap. If you have a hood style dryer sit under it for 30 minutes to help the heat open the cuticles. If not, you can use a blow dryer for 5 minutes and direct heat over the top of the scalp. Or you can wrap a hot towel around the top of the Saran Wrap.

Leave the mixture on for 1 hour or more.

I have actually slept in the mixture but the Basil has a strong aroma and it drove me crazy.

To remove the oil do the following:

1. Apply 1 quarter size of gentle shampoo like PhytoCidre, Aveda Shampure or Giovanni 50/50 to the palms of your hands. Pat the shampoo at the roots on top of the oil mixture. Pat the shampoo mixture down the length of your hair.

Step into a warm water shower and direct the water flow on the shampoo mixture. Gently swish the shampoo down the length of your hair.

Repeat the shampoo twice if necessary.

Apply a rinse out conditioner, rinse well and then do a cool/cold rinse to close the cutile.

Apply a leave in conditioner and let hair air dry if possible.

I did this treatment 3x a week for 1 month and noticed significant new hair growth along the hairline after just 2 weeks.

This may not work for everyone but it worked for my situation which was related to extreme dieting and hair loss.

I bought the Basil Oil from an aromatherapist in Dallas who certified that it was 100% real. It is important not to use synthetic oil. It is also important to NEVER use the Basil Oil directly on the scalp. It must be first mixed in a carrier oil.

Let me know if you have quesitons.

Best wishes,
Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
BeeBee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeeBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2002 at 1:00pm
Thank you for posting this Karen. I had heard you mention this Basil recipe off and on and was curious how to recreate it.

JenB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2002 at 9:23am
This is awesome! I`m definitely going to try it! :-)
suenote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suenote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2003 at 11:31am
This sound excellent!!! I am going to try this today!

Thank you Karen
Do not try to do something great;
but rather try to do something small
with great care.(I read this
somewhere).
alisha View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 10:06am
does the basil hair oil and almond hair oil make thinning hair thicker ? i live in the uk so where would i be able to buy the oils from??
allie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 12:56am
Hello,this is a question for karen:
How exactly does this increase hair growth?Is it because of the increased circulation from your fingers,or is it the basil itself?
SSassy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2003 at 4:42pm
Do you generally apply hair oils to:

already shampooed wet hair, and then rinse out?
wet hair, and then shampoo the oils out (like V05)
dry hair, and then shampoo out?

Does it differ depending on the type of oil used?

Thanks!

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 5:15pm
To Alisha

Q: does the basil hair oil and almond hair oil make thinning hair thicker ? i live in the uk so where would i be able to buy the oils from??

Will Basil oil change genetically predisposed hair from fine or thin to medium to thick? Very unlikely if never. Will it restore thinning hair to its pre-thinning texture? Possibly although I have no relevent studies to show that it is true or not. So proceed with caution.

Where to buy?
Any health food store or large aromatherapy dealer. However it is very important to remember to never buy the synthetic oil since it is like throwing your money away. Always buy the original oil. If the Basil oil seems to cheap, it is probably not authentic.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
M.M View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 11:22pm
Did anyone get results from this?
Does it work??????

I'm dying to know
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic