Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

aloe for hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: aloe for hair
    Posted: April 25 2003 at 2:12pm
I have an aloe plant at home. I usually use the aloe just by breaking off a leaf, then breaking it open and using the juice on my skin.

Does anyone have a way to use aloe on hair? Do I just do the same and glop it in my hair and then shampoo it out?
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 8:35pm
I searched a book I have for uses of aloe and found these items:

1. As a leave-in conditioner. "When used properly it leaves your hair shiny and soft." After rinsing out your regular conditioner, apply the aloe juice to your hair (do not rinse).

2. "As an aid for brittle, dry, flyaway and baby-fine hair, try this beautifully rich recipe for restoring gloss to your hair. It really does work!"

3 tablespoons sweet almond oil
3 teaspoons honey
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons aloe

In a small bowl, whip together oil, honey and yolks. Add aloe, and stir to form a smooth paste. Dip an old hairbrush into the mixture. Apply to clean, dry hair. Cover hair with a plastic shower cap and a warmed towel. Leave on for 30 minutes. Rinse out with warm water and allow to air dry.

3. For Oily Hair Care

1/2 teaspoon aloe vera gel (squeeze gel out of Aloe Vera plant)
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions:
Blend ingredients together with 1/4 cup of your regular hair shampoo. Wash hair then rinse well.

Finally, the Long Locks web site http://www.longlocks.com/hair-care-recipes-cookbook.htm has this recipe to control frizz in natually curly hair:

Frizz Control for Curly Hair

Ingredients
1 small aloe vera leaf

Directions
Snip off end of leaf and apply a dollop of aloe vera gel to palm. Work through hair to ends.

So, the answer to your initial question seems to be "Yes, you can glop the aloe on your hair and use it as a leave-in conditioner."

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 10:20pm
oh wow.. that's awesome, so many things that can be done.

just wondering, is there a difference between the aloe gel from the plant and aloe juice?
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 2:58pm
Here is what my book says about it:

"Aloe gel can be used to heal both internal and external wounds. It greatly speeds the healing of many skin injuries, including ulcerations, burns, and frostbite. Aloe latex is a powerful laxative, but because it can cause painful cramping, it is not used frequently. In smaller doses, aloe latex can help prevent kidney stones or reduce their size. It is also useful as a stool softener, particularly in people who have painful hemorrhoids."

"Aloe juice is a liquid form of aloe gel that you can take internally. Because it has antibacterial properties, aloe juice can be used to treat bacterial infections in the gastro-intestinal tract. It is also effective for healing peptic ulcers because it reduces the stomach acids that aggravate ulcers. "

Wow! I'm learning things here!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 7:07pm
Hi Budoken,

Soooooooo glad to see you here. Thank you for your very informative post.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 9:26pm
Hello Karen

My pleasure. Glad to be of some small service.

Thanks for providing the opportunity to share. You do a great job!
jazzgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 6:14am
Aloe vera plants, grow wild throughout tropical Asia. Their thick spiny leaves contain a cooling sap, which is an elixir for Heavy Heads. More precisely this extract contains a natural tannin with an anti-inflammatory effect, and saponin.a natural emulsifler. The aloe's active ingredients stimulate the follicles for a thick and fuller head of hair.
"We have both lost ourselves, but sometimes we reveal the most when we are least like ourselves."
-Anais Nin
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 5:34am
I could do with thicker, fuller hair, for sure. Is shampoo or conditioner containing aloe any good for that purpose, or should I be looking for an actual plant or what?
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2003 at 2:08pm
Generally speaking, the amount of aloe in shampoos and conditioners is quite small. Look at the ingredient list and the further down it appears the smaller the amount (I'm certain Lyris can address this better than I can). If you want the full benefit of aloe, use either the 100% gel or fresh from the plant.
Merlin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic