Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

basil oil recipe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: basil oil recipe
    Posted: September 06 2004 at 12:21pm
This is a question for Karen Shelton, regarding the basil oil recipe for hair growth. You advise against using basil oil directly on the scalp. I've been reading Riquette's book on hair growth. Her stimulator recipe calls for a mixture of basil oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil, and lemon oil...with no carrier oils. I've applied this to my scalp for several nights now, wiht no noticeable ill effects, at least thus far.

Is there something in particular about basil oil that makes it harmful if applied undiluted? Do any of the other EOs in Riquette's recipe act like carrier oils? Or am I doing myself possible harm?

Thanks -- Alina
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 7:31pm
Basil oil has a main compound that is labeled moderately toxic, irritating to the skin, and could also cause cancer in large doses. It is highly advised that a person dilute before use, and not use while pregnant (could cause miscarriage). I understand you haven't seen any ill effects, but you could in the long run.

Some people use rosemary oil straight, and it doesn't seem to have any ill effects. but lemon oil is phototoxic and makes a person more sensitive to UV radiation. The best BEST thing to do is dilute it all in something like jojoba or sweet almond oil.

Karen, I'm sorry to jump on this thread addressed to you. but it has been awhile.
my LJ, 40 inches long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic