Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Black Out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Black Out
    Posted: February 13 2003 at 12:27am
Hi all! Here's my problem...I've been dyeing my hair jet black for a couple months now, and altho I love the color and all, my natural color is light ashy brown, and my roots look terrible all the time. As much as I like it black, I have to color it once every couple weeks to avoid having much lighter roots (which, in contrast to the black, blends into my scalp and makes it look like I'm going bald :( ).
Does anyone know a good way to remove the black so that I can color it something closer to it natural color? I know there's bleaching, but I've had terrible experiences with that in the past...I was just wondering if anyone knew a less damaging way? Please?
Thanx in advance!

Lotsa Love,
Ingrid
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
caro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2003 at 5:13am
I think you should get the hairdresser to fix this one, it's too tricky to do yourself
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2003 at 6:53am
Lets make it a Colorist...a stylist that has A Lot of experience with color!!

Black is very very difficult to remove, because of the heavy dye load in the color. Your ends will really want to hold on to the color, so its difficult to get even color removal. In most cases it takes more than one visit if your going to keep that hair in decent shape.

Good luck...let us know.
Leslie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2003 at 2:46pm
Hey, I surfed onto the site after searching for "going back to blonde" on Yahoo. Here is my predicament!

Naturally a childhood blonde, with my hair gradually darkening, I decided I didn't want to do the Sun-In thing and be a "fake" blonde, of which I see too many around my college campus, and I started going red.

At first, about a year ago I used a level 2, I think it was Natural Instincts, and it was just a strawberry color, slightly darker than that sounds. But then I decided I wanted to be auburn, and have been using Ultress "darkest mahogany brown" on a regular basis, with the occasional unsuccessful ventures at different shades. My eyebrows have always been pretty dark, even as a blonde child, so it looks fairly natural.

The problem is it fades constantly, and since I have such thick hair I have to use two boxes if I want it to be even. So the people around me think I have schitzophrenic haircolor disease, when I have really just been trying to keep the same color. Also, the dyeing has taken its toll, and my ends are pretty dry.

So I'm pretty sick of it, and would like to savor what remaining blondeish years I have left. But right now my hair is a dark cherry color. I know the advice will inevitably be "go to a salon" but I would like to know what to expect, if anyone knows. The easiest way would be to chop off my hair at the root ;-) but, um, no. I can't really abide short hair either, since I have a pretty round face, so will I just have to wait until it grows out if I want to keep my hair from becoming horribly brittle? Thanks for the advice!

=)
IRIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2003 at 8:33pm
I had just gone through the same experience. My hair was jet black and I wanted a more natural color a dark brown. The stylist bleached my hair twice. My hair had bleach in it for a total of 2-3 hours. After words my hair had looked like it had been to hell and back. I tried every product made to help my hair and spent way too much money, I gave up and cut my hair off. Please don't let anyone put bleach in your hair for that amount of time. Maybe get a consultation from a few different salons. Or you'll end up like me, with a nice 2 inch hairstyle.
Leslie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2003 at 2:36am
Oh no! I'm really sorry about your experience with bleach. Mine was somewhat similar to start with.

I had the bleach in for two, maybe two and a half hours on Tuesday. Afterwards I looked like Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer- white roots. The rest was somewhat orangey yellow. They tried putting in color, but since the follicles were so blasted by the bleach, it didn't hold at all, and by the end of the four-plus hour visit my hair was just yellow with light lemon roots. I made sure before I finished that if I didn't end up with what I wanted I could come in later for no charge. Not to mention the fact that my ears were absolutely fried and my scalp felt like it was bleeding.

So after spending a day and a half with yellow hair, I went back this (Thursday) morning and spent another 6 hours there. It took so long mostly because it's a beauty school and everything has to be approved by instructors...you know the deal. And also I have tons of hair- the girl had to mix at least three batches of whatever she was using just to cover my head. First they applied a filler to match the red on the ends (which is basically, as I understand it, a color rinse with no staying power. It only leaves color where it isn't already present.) Then they went back over it with a "dark blonde" which ended up pretty much a light golden brown. I was expecting something lighter, but at least this will (I think) match my natural roots and lighten gradually. And because they had to use so much product on me, they charged me an extra $10.

So I'm waiting for my scalp to recover, lotioning my ears, and praying that my hair will lighten faster than "normal." Overall, I think next time I will just wait for the color to fade out, or grow out. Cheaper, less traumatizing, and less potential for disaster!
IRIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 6:56pm
Hey Leslie,
I hope your scalp is recovering, eek! It's amazing some of the horrible things we go through to be happy with our hair. I hope you like your new haircolor.
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2003 at 7:47am
Hi! Just a follow-up; I went to a professional colorist on Saturday to get it done...Yikes! I'm blond again! Actually, it turned out OK. I had to have 2 separate bleaching 'treatments', both of which burned my scalp like crazy. The first turned it various horrible shades of orange and yellow, and I almost cried. But then the colorist (who was wonderfully sweet and gave a good name to the profession :) ) informed me that this was normal and that I'd have to get it done again. So I wore a hat all day and went back the next day, and now my hair is a crazy bright platinum color...wierd!
I kinda like it, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it or eventually dye it back to a more natural brown. My hair's a little fried after all of that, so I'll have to get it cut again soon. Darn. I was hoping to let it grow a little...oh well. At least its not black anymore!
Thanx to all for your advice & stuff!

Lotsa love & big hugs,
Inga
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic