Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on lightening hair color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ChrisKJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisKJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on lightening hair color
    Posted: February 25 2003 at 6:14pm
I would like to gradually lighten my hair color from light brown to blonde. Would someone please advise me on the best way to do this - in a gradual approach. I would rather not show up for work the next day as a pure blonde. FYI - my hair is fairly short - about three inches.
ChrisKJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisKJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2003 at 6:43pm
Hey, come on - how about some advice?
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2003 at 11:07pm
I would highly reccomend you have a professional do this. It can be very tricky and very east to turn up orangy-yellow. Its worth the money you spend on a professional.

I care
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2003 at 11:07pm
Here is one way that might work though you have to be careful and condition your hair faithfully. There is a product by Sheer Blonde that has lemon in it. This will give you a gradual lightning with sunlight. Another Blonde product contains hydrogen peroxide and will do the same but you don't need sun - hair dryer works. You will need to buy a conditioner designed to take out brassines. These products can be drying so be careful. The process will be gradual and take several weeks though you should see a change. It probably will not go completely blonde (as in platinum) but should lighten significantly.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2003 at 8:45am
But, after a while you will have your darker roots showing up...and you will have started down a road you may not want to go...i.e., damage, brassiness, and darker roots every couple of weeks.

Find a great Colorist, ask for a subtle highlight...just enough to give the illusion of sun lightened hair.

I have many clients that with light brown, or dark blonde hair and we only weave in highlights twice a year. The cost is low per year, their hair is in great shape, it grows out so subtly, that it looks natural all the time.

If you see a great highlight on the street ask who their Stylist is.
ChrisKJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisKJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2003 at 9:38pm
Sophie,

Thanks so much for your advice. What is the trick to making the highlights seem so "natural"? I've had some highlights before - but they always end up looking "artificial." Do you recommend more generous highlights (i.e. several strands), rather than just a few?
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2003 at 10:54am
Hmmm...this is so hard to tell you because every person is different....natural color, hair texture, hair thickness, hair condition, skintone...how you wear your hair when its styled...all of these things have to be taken into consideration. I'm sure LiliBEACH and others could add more to this list.

Oooooo...BEACH sounds so good right now......sorry... I live in the Great North...Where we had a number of schools either close or have a two hour delay, because it was so cold this morning they could'nt get buses started..........Burrrr. Sorry...Side tracked

Anyway the key is not over doing it with the highlights......not too many...not to big or fat a chunks or peices, not to light, so that it blends balances and lifts you out of the dark just enough...To give you the spring uplift you need. Maybe a little more around the front and face......Top of the head where the sun shines.

Many times I have to tweek these weaves the first time around. So that it is exactly the way We (my client and I) pictured it. Or maybe, all I have to do is to give you a taste of the posibilities...

I truly believe its an Art....Not just coloring the hair, but getting the hair to, just the place my client wants to be. There are many Awesome caring Stylists out there...Maybe a little hard to find depending on your area. But it is worth the hunt to find someone well trained that you can trust to be there for you & GIVES YOU THE STYLE YOU WANT ...and stands behind their work.

OK, I'm going to stop now and climb down off my soap box.....

Keep the Faith

ChrisKJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisKJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2003 at 6:45pm
Sophie (and others),

Thanks so much for your advice. Ever since I cut my hair short - I've struggled with losing the blonde color I was used to. It is much easier coloring long hair! I suppose I will be content with highlights - although I might get bold and go all blonde again - in spite of the dark roots. It seems a little cool with this style - just for awhile.

Thanks again.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2003 at 7:35pm
Short hair is awesome with all over color...You will know whats right ...when its right

Keep an eye out for some great pictures, visuals are always good.

The main thing is that you love your hair!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic