Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hair to Carmel Brown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GoZO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoZO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Hair to Carmel Brown
    Posted: March 27 2003 at 7:51pm
Could somone explain the best way to go from naturally black hair to a carmel Brown.

I am Maltese and have olive Skin

I have always wanted to go to a J Lo type color.

Please assist

Thanks
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 1:25pm
What kind of Caramel Brown? Light, medium or dark caramel brown? J.Lo's color is probably a mix of light caramel brown highlights on a medium brown base.

I have black hair and I'm going to try Feria's French Roast, a deep bronzed brown to see if it works on black hair. :)

With black hair, you're pretty limited to either dark or deep browns and reds. To go a little lighter, say medium or light caramel brown, you will need a light bleach (just prelighten enough to orangish color) before using caramel brown successfully. You could use Clairol Maxi Blonde, which is not that strong like salon bleaches, which will probably do the trick by lightening your hair to orangish color. Don't panic! Then dye caramel brown on it. That's it. :)

Good luck!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 1:35pm
Please go to a salon for this change....it is very difficult to get a two-step process to look perfect if you're trying it yourself (believe me, I know!) Plus, if it doesn't come out exactly as you wanted you aren't stuck blaming yourself and can get it fixed. In a situation like this, a visit to the salon is well worth the money.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 5:13pm
J Lo, has a weave with maybe 3 or even 4 different colors strategically placed. This helps it look very natural.

To achieve this natural look (especially going lighter on dark hair) an all over color just doesn't get it.
And it will pull a lot of red....hard to tone and not natural looking.

Not to mention ROOTS every three weeks. Weaves don't have as much upkeep.

beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Sophie Sophie wrote:

J Lo, has a weave with maybe 3 or even 4 different colors strategically placed. This helps it look very natural.

That's true. J.Lo. goes to salon for this effect. It's a work of a salon colorist, not at home colorist. But for a similar effect, it can be done at home by using simple highlights on a base if folks want to save some money.
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Lyris Lyris wrote:

Please go to a salon for this change....it is very difficult to get a two-step process to look perfect if you're trying it yourself (believe me, I know!) Plus, if it doesn't come out exactly as you wanted you aren't stuck blaming yourself and can get it fixed. In a situation like this, a visit to the salon is well worth the money.

I sometimes disagree just because an hairdresser has a license doesn't make her qualified with coloring and highlighting. I've gone to really bad hairdressers that did poor job and paid a lot of money to boot. That's why I did coloring on my own because I wanted to save money and I did lots and lots of research before doing it myself.

On the other hand, for complex jobs like J. Lo.'s hair, it's probably easier and money wise to go to a salon. I also don't believe if people aren't knowledgeable with color and dyeing should do it themselves, they need to go to salon. But for myself, I don't need to go to salon unless I feel like pampering and shell out a lot of money, sure, otherwise, I could do it myself.

There are FEW FEW qualified and talented hair colorists out there, especially those who can do different types of hair like asian, hispanic, black, etc.

I'm sorry to disagree with what you said but what you said is good for population in general but I know from my personal experience and know what exactly I'm looking for.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic