Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ok,really,this is the last time,but do u bleach & dye?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ok,really,this is the last time,but do u bleach & dye?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mm View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ok,really,this is the last time,but do u bleach & dye?
    Posted: April 08 2003 at 8:43am
i tried using blonde hair dye by itself on a strand,which didnt work.
another thing is that i dont want orange hair like all girls in my school who tried to bleach their hair blonde.
third,is a 2 process step,bleach & dye?
4th,ppl say they JUST bleach their hair to get blonde
5th,ppl say the bleached & dyed their hair to get blonde.
6th,my friend had brigh blonde highlites on her black,maybe very dark brown hair,the exact color that i want,w/out bleaching. Ive also heard of ppl getting the right color w/ highlites but orange when they dye it. why?
cant i just highlite all my hair then or s/thing?

HELP,im really confused,& i dont want to end up w/ orange hair like i did a few years ago after using sun in.

mm View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2003 at 9:35am
someone pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssseeeeeeeee help me
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 12:51pm
Get it done in the hairdressers, fi you can't afford buy some Bleach and Toner (Ask for it it might come with the bleach) Most people don't use the toner so it turns orange. But if you can't get toner just bleach it orange and buy permanent blonde dye and dye over it with that.

People complain that there are too many blondes but I think that there are very few decent blondes, although I quite like orange hair sometimes.
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Vineman Vineman wrote:

People complain that there are too many blondes but I think that there are very few decent blondes, although I quite like orange hair sometimes.
Then why do so many people dye their hair blonde? I'd say about 60-70% of celebrities or prominent figures in the media ARE blondes. Blonde hair is a symbol of freedom, power, and beauty. That's how I look at it. Most beautiful women in the world are blondes (fake blondes).

If you're anything naturally darker than level 6, bleach is the best way to achieve decent blonde color along with a toner. Single process color isn't gonna cut it. But if you're naturally level 6 or lighter, then high light color might work for you.

Good luck!
mm View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 1:30am
thnx for the replies....BUT...
i tried bleaching a few strands(by jerome russel's)
it went orange
then when i tried dying it w/ wella's lightes blonde
nothing happened
so then i tried dying it w/ well's golden blonde
nothing happened
do i need a toner to get a color from hair dye?
& WHAT exactly is a toner.
i dont think ive ever seen it next to the hair bleaching/dying stuff,or maybe i just dont recognize it.
where do i get it?
btw,i have dark brown hair which i use black henna on.
whats confusing me most now is why cant i get any results from the hair dye?
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by mm mm wrote:

thnx for the replies....BUT...i tried bleaching a few strands (by jerome russel's) it went orange then when i tried dying it w/ wella's lightes blonde nothing happened so then i tried dying it w/ well's golden blonde nothing happened do i need a toner to get a color from hair dye? i dont think ive ever seen it next to the hair bleaching/dying stuff,or maybe i just dont recognize it.
where do i get it? btw,i have dark brown hair which i use black henna on. whats confusing me most now is why cant i get any results from the hair dye?

Okay, you need a color & dyeing lesson here. First of all, you're naturally dark brown, so that makes you a level 2 on a scale 1-10, 1 being black hair, 10 being lightest platinum blonde. The only way to be light blonde is bleach and tone, known as double-process. People who are naturally blonde (level 7 or lighter) can use single-process color (like hi-lift) and go a light blonde without any problem.

You had a black henna in your hair. I heard that it's very, very difficult to bleach out any henna and can cause unpredictable results or that orange would be persistent no matter how many times you bleached. It's advised not to bleach/color over henna. You did a right thing by strand testing it. You could try re-bleaching it but if orange still is stubborn then you have no choice but to go back to your natural color and grow out henna first. If you successfully reach banana yellow, then you can use a toner. Toner and permanent dye are different things. Toner is specifically made for bleached blonde hair to reduce brassiness and yellow-ness of bleached hair and to make it a natural looking blonde color. Permanent dyes are single-process color that only lifts 2-3 levels on natural, virgin hair unless you go darker.
Quote HAT exactly is a toner.

It's a toner made for bleached hair that would neutralize the yellowness of hair (like banana yellow bleached hair or pale yellow - inside the banana - that people get after bleaching). It's not for hair that has been single-processed or dyed with permanent color (same thing as single-process). Like the hair color industry have said - color doesn't lighten color!

Good luck and I hope you will learn from this lesson. I'm trying to help you. :)
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 4:55pm
I agree with everything Bleachgerl said, mm.....HENNA messes with anything you try to do later. There is some recipe to remove Henna...I will try to post it for you.....????But....I don't know if it works to remove the actual dye (black) that was in your henna. My guess is it won't....

This should work to remove the henna...you may have to do it more than once:

Apply 70% alcohol to the hair shaft, avoiding direct contact with the scalp. Let set about 7 mintes.

Apply mineral oil directly over the alcohol, compeltely saturating each strand, from the scalp down to the ends.

Preheat hood dryer.

Tightly cover the head with a plastic bag.

Place client under the dryer for 30 minutes.

Without rinsing first, apply a clarifying shampoo and work into the oil.

Allow to set for another 3 minutes.

Massage the hair again.

Rinse thoroughly at the shampooo bowl with water as hot as can be comfrotably withstood by the client. Repeat shampoo; you may need to shampoo 3 times.

Do a test strand before proceeding with color. Technically this should have loosened the henna enough to get it to slide off the hair; but you may have to repeat the process!

(this came from the Milady's Standard Textbook of Cosmetology)

I hope this helps.???
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 5:26pm
The alcohol process sounds VERY damaging!
[/url]

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 7:45pm
Well it's sure not a conditioning treatment!

But then neither is trying to remove Henna with bleach or high lift color................Any way you look at it , It's a delemma!

(Color rule #1**Color doesn't remove color.)

(Color rule #53**Practically nothing removes henna!)
I should have stressed that this is a professional removal process...............I have never used it.
And No, it won't be a cake walk or good for your hair.

In fact I'm going to qualify my putting it up on this board by saying I don't reccomend it. It would also be hard on your scalp.....................I'm having second thoughts????? what do you other guy's think???? Should I delete it?
Lyris??? Lili??? Uzma?? Karen????anyone?

Mandy Brown View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mandy Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2003 at 9:35pm
The problem may be the bleach itself... In a home bleach kit, there is the developer cream - which will be either 10, 20, 30 or 40% volume peroxide. 40 is the maximum legal limit, but it will "lift" your hair the most. when bleaching your hair it will lift through several different colors. It will go from brown to bright orange, to gold, to yellow and then to white... if your hair is already color-treated, then it is almost impossible to lift it to the pale yellow you want it to be... it will most likely turn bright orange. it is good you are doing the strand test... try to go to a beauty supply store, like sally's and get some 40 volume developer cream bleach... and then a toner... the sales people should know what a toner is... make SURE you do the strand test again and see if that changes anything... when the bleach is on your head, you will only want to leave it on for a maximum of an hour and 15 minutes... any longer and your hair will probably be falling out... but I hope this helps you... I tried using feria bleach one time, and when my hair started turning orangish I freaked out and washed it out after 20 minutes.... which is the biggest mistake you can make... if you want more help... go to http://www.goblonde.com and it has some good advice there on how to bleach your hair.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 9:16am
First of all..........Sorry Beachgerl......I typed bleachgerl....in a previous post....????Sorry

Mandy is right about the strand test!!!!!
And please don't assume that simply
switching to 40 volume, your
Henna Delemma is taken care of.

I don't recomend 40 volume and bleach
on a scalp...or hair that has been previously
chemically processed...........Please be careful
with that one.

And it's pretty hard to choose a toner
when you aren't sure what your hair
will lift to. I have to see the end result
before deciding which toner is correct.

Let us know how the strand test goes
or if you decide to try the henna
removal on a strand.
mm View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 11:13am
thnx for the replies.

but i dont think i'll use the alcohol & stuff.
the 2nd thing is that i used a 40 volume...so its the maximum?
& the last thing my friend got the same color i wanted w/out bleaching her hair & her hair was almost black.she only did highlights.
the color i want & she got is yellow,but not too fake looking.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic