Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I'm coloring tonight!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm coloring tonight!
    Posted: April 09 2003 at 8:08pm
I have about 25% grey (white!), mostly in my sides. I have mostly colored with semi-permanent color (Natural Instincts), though I have touched up my roots with a very good salon perm. color a few times (Framesi).

I am so sick of everyone calling my hair black! I know it's very dark, but it's dark brown, not black. It is however, completely neutral, no warmth. My natural color is a medium-to-dark very warm brown, with lots of red undertones.

In my quest to get closer to my natural color, tonight I am coloring with Natural Instincts medium warm brown, instead of my usual 2/3-1/3 mixture of medium ash with dark brown.

I have about a 1.5 inches of roots.

What I expect: the roots will come out a nice warm brown ("cinnamon stick"), close to my natural color. Yay! The grey (white) will come out redder, brighter. Hope that looks decent! I don't expect much to show up on the darkest hair (90% of my hair ), but perhaps it'll warm up a little bit.

If the roots come out close to what I want, I'll keep doing this, roots only, and getting trims every two months until the very dark hair is gone. I may switch from semi to Redken Fusion if I can get someone to help me formulate the right mixture.

What I would really love to do would be to have my Linda remove the dark and apply a nice warm chocolate brown, but I don't want to sacrifice health. My hair is in near-perfect condition now.

It's time to wash it out now! Wish me luck! Hope I can change my sig line to "warm brunette" soon!
[/url]

princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2003 at 11:26pm
good luck elissa
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 3:06am
How did it go? Did the grey come out okay?
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 4:16am
Rats . The roots are too red--really red. No effect on the rest of the hair that I can see.

Before next weekend, after 2 or 3 washes, I'll apply medium natural brown (no ash!) to the roots only to darken them a bit.

Then I'll just have to wait until this very dark hair gets cut.

BUT this was fun :) And I got a gorgeous conditioning with All-Soft last night! Thanks for asking and for the well wishes.
[/url]

wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 1:10am
Thanks for letting us know how it came out! I guess it will take time for your hair to lighten up the way you want it.

Mine is the opposite! I had cocoa brown hair when I was young. As a teen it lightened up a lot with lots of blonde streaks. I suppose it was all those days at the beach. And now that I am dying it, it is blonde. But even when I dye it brown it fades back to blonde. So I decided to go with the flow. It is darker underneath (of course). So this last time I used Natural Instincts Sahara all over, then Navajo Bronze underneath.

I don't know what shade you are after, but the Navajo Bronze is warm and soft. I really like it and wish I could use it all over, but I know where my hair is lighter it would come out a different color. So I think I will keep what works for my hair.

I would like to know if your new plans help.... good luck
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 5:43pm
Hi wittils, thanks for all of the feedback and for sharing your experiences. Your natural hair color sounds very pretty. Women (and men!) pay hundreds to get that highlighted look, and you have it naturally!

I am after my natural color (sans grey), which is darker than medium but lighter than (cocoa) dark brown, with very warm red undertones. It's a bit browner than auburn, but has lots of red. Here is a picture (college graduation circa 1989! dig that crown! and those bushy brows!), I've overbrightened it to try to get the color to show, but it isn't exact. I had more red, I think:

The medium warm brown was good on my natural color but I guess it turned my grey (which is white) red. I'm going to apply straight medium brown Natural Instincts (Hazelnut) to brown up that red grey. My natural red undertones should sufficiently warm up the Hazelnut. Next time I'll mix the two (I use two bottles anyway, even for a root touch up).

The rest of my hair is currently cocoa (as you can see in the pics in the "my photos" post in the General Hair Talk section). Sadly, nothing will help that because I don't want to strip it.

Navajo Bronze, or caramel, seemed too golden for the reddish brown I am going for. But I could be wrong (am I?)

Now that I've messed with that picture, if I ever lose patience and decide to strip out the cocoa, I guess I can take the pic to my hair stylist. I've never been able to find an exact picture showing my natural color. How I miss it!!!!
[/url]

wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 2:58pm
Sorry it has taken me awhile to respond... busy, busy, busy.

Anyway, yes the Navajo Bronze would be a soft, warm brown with the reddish tones. So I don't think you would want that. The color of the picture on the box is not what I got when I colored, but I really like the results I did get and will do that again.

Please let me know how the hazelnut worked for you.

I jumped over to look at you pics and you have lovely hair, even if you think it is too dark, it frames your face nicely!!!

I like the dark rich colors but I am afraid that I am stuck with the blonde.

What if I WERE to put the Navajo Bronze over all of my hair, not just underneath? Would this be asking for a blooper?

wittils
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 7:33pm
Hi Wittils,

I am sitting with a blend of hazlenut and cinnamon stick as I write this, because after three or so shampoos my roots/grey are showing, again and it will be another week or two before I can get my Redken Fusion from my friend. Lilibeach helped me come up with a formula for what I want in permanent color. Meanwhile, I don't want these roots for the weekend...

Thanks for the nice things you said about my color. The dark is nice, but I've had it for two or more years and really miss the warmth. My sweetie really wants to see it warmer, too.

I would be very careful applying Navajo Bronze to your blonde hair. NB sounds like a lovely color, but when you add semi-permanent darker colors to lighter ones, they may become permanent. I would do it ONLY if you think it's something you really want, and wouldn't mind living with it until it's cut out.

If you love that color so much, why don't you consider going to the salon and having someone mix up its equivalent, using a gorgeous salon color line like Redken?
Then you wouldn't have to worry about the spots that end up different colors, because he or she could take care of that for you.

Please keep us posted! And thanks for continuing this discussion with me, I love the feedback.

Elissa
[/url]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic