Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black to Dark Brown with highlights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cedai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black to Dark Brown with highlights
    Posted: April 21 2003 at 1:49pm
Hello All- For the last 2 years I have been in the process of getting my natural color back.
I dyed it black for 7 years. I want it back to dark brown with highlights. I am hispanic and have tan skin and I think red washes me out. BUT I know red is a part of a rich brown color.

I am tired of being 2 toned and the hairdressers I spoke to thought it would be to much to get my hair back to brown and suggested I wait it out.
Well after 2 years- I am tired of waiting it out and want my hair to look GREAT.

This morning I tried a theory out. I used a bleaching part of a highlight kit that Revlon just came out with - HIGH DIMENSION COLOR accent. I placed highlights through out my hair. I then put REVLON HIGH DIMENSION COLOR in DARK BROWN. I thought that the dark brown would run through my hair and look more natural - and better then the top brown and the bottom black. It looks better and there are highlights- but very very very very faint. :-) Almost non existant.
Is there anything I can do now? I want highlights- what can I use and what would look good and how long do I have to wait?
My hair is about 5 inches past my shoulders and cutting it off is not an option.
Any advice would be great-

Beach gerl - if you are reading this- I would love some advice from you.

THANK YOU TO ALL-
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2003 at 8:56am
Cedai,

Congratulations for waiting two years, that is a heck of a long time to be patient and you should be commended for it.

Personally, I think the hairdressers with whom you spoke are wrong. There is always a way. In my opinion, if carefully done, in a salon, using superior products, there is no reason why you couldn't have been bleached down and colored back to dark brown, unless your hair was in terrible condition.

Now that you've started the process yourself, I think you should find a different salon, one with reputable colorists trained in the newest products (like Redken or Matrix) and get a great colorist to take over the process for you. You don't want to mess around with such a complicated process (de-coloring black hair) at home. Especially not after two years of patient waiting!

Please let us know whatever you decide. Good luck!

Elissa
[/url]

beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2003 at 3:07pm
Hi Cedai! I can't believe your hairdressers told you to wait it out growing out two-toned hair. I'd never do that if I was growing out same thing. Since you don't want to cut your hair (a trim would be a good idea to minimize damage on ends), what I did when I did tintbacks, was dyeing my hair about 4-5 levels lighter than my natural color because it will come really dark than normal on bleached/highlighted hair. Your hair ended up that way because your ends were very damaged and porous, hence, the black color, while on top of your head is more healthy and virgin and absorbed the permanent dye less. I'd never recommend using permanent dye with bleached/highlighted hair, only on virgin hair.

With bleached/highlighted hair, what was needed to be done, is performing a color primer. It means adding back gold, red and orange back to lightened hair. Simply put, adding either golden blonde or strawberry blonde semi-perm. color to lightened hair FIRST. Then dye with light or medium brown, not dark brown or black, either golden or natural brown for more natural looking brown. This will come out a little darker than "light brown" because the ends would be very porous. If hair is very damaged, then semi-perm. is the best way to dye over it. But you had two toned hair, so you'll have to apply semi-perm. on ends (from the line that had virgin/healthy hair and to the ends where they were lightened). That's why I can't believe your hairdressers didn't know how to perform tintbacks.

If you want highlights, it's suggested to have them done at salon, it's difficult to do it yourself. It's possible to create highlights but I suggest you to wait few months before getting highlights so your hair will be a bit more healthy. Dye plus highlights are pretty damaging for one day's session.

If you don't want highlights at all, you can re-dye your hair a dark brown about a month later or two because the hair color will fade a bit and giving your hair some rest. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic