Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

anyone used henna?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone used henna?
    Posted: April 23 2003 at 1:52am
has anyone here used henna?
i means it is all natural and it does colors the hair and lightens it in like 2 level.
its not damging right because there is no peroxide nor ammonia in it? or is there?
i am thinking about coluring my hair using henna top prevent my hair from becoming damaged
ARGHH
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 6:28pm
Don't! Henna will almost never come out, it's worse than permanent black hair dye if you ever want to change your color you'll have to grow it out.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 6:39pm
You can use it if you like pumpkin orange hair
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 1:39am
my original hair colour IS black.
orange?
yes henna is orange when put on hair or skin but only certain types
but there are types of henna that is NOT orange
ARGHH
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 7:14pm
It's henna with dye added....black etc.

If it is only henna on it's own it's red.

It is tough to do other chemical processes once you have done henna.

Have you read any of the other post's here in the forum on henna, Claribuzz?

anastasia b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anastasia b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 6:35pm
I took it upon myself to stop lurking long enough to interject my opinion. I have used henna for many years and have never had a problem with it. My mom used to be a pro hairdresser, and every color I ever did my hair was greeted with "you look like a clown". I was always dissatisfied with the results of regular hair color--too light, too bright, too dark, or too weird. My hair is the most gorgeous color, and no chemicals means no damage! But, that's me and my experience. I am not a professional, and it may not be right for you. I just wanted there to be one positive post about henna.
doorknob!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 6:56pm
Thats great, if all you plan to do is henna.

But if you are planning any Color, Perm, Re-Texturizing or Straightening.... they do not work well over the top of previously hennaed hair.
scrye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2003 at 12:04am
well I am a person who likes to experiment with different hair coloring techniques...but I have never actually tried henna yet.

but howevery I remember back in the days my best friend's sister told me once she put in henna in her hair as a conditioner and it ended up turning her hair a dark putrid green, which to me sounded pretty awesome but she obviously didn't like it very much:P

but however there are many different types of henna, at Sally's the only henna dyes I have seen were black hair dyes...so I really do not know, if you a type of person who doesn't care about mistakes and lives on your hair mistakes and somehow still loving it because everybody looks at you funny (like me) then by all means go on and try it.

However I would not try it if you were not the type of person who does not have a good time with your bad hair days.
"Death is all around me, but now I'd rather die then follow mediocrity" Run - Project 86

"Boys think their the bomb, because they remind them of their mom" Barlow Girls - Superchic[k]

justin
kab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 7:05pm
I am somewhat blonde and have used henna (mixed into a paste and applied, and washed out after it dried sufficiently) and I liked the strawberry tones it it gave me. However, the color lasted much much longer than the 6 weeks or so I expected it to. My Indian friends swear by henna, as henna turns their white strands into a lovely red that falls beautifully into their dark locks.
l0e0n0a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote l0e0n0a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 12:03pm
hey all
- I just tried henna and really like it -- it gave my black hair some natural looking reddish highlights, didn''t burn or make my hair go weird like permanent color does, and felt nice...
- On the con side though, I did read up about henna before using it and as was said earlier, it doesn''t seem to work with anything else (other types of coloring, perms, relaxers etc.), so you probably have to go natural to use it. I''ve just chopped off my hair and it''s short and natural now, and I was tired of using other color (I''ve never ever had my hair turn out the way it should....) so I tried this. Also, once you''ve used it, you''d have to grow it out probably to get rid of it (I don''t know how long it would take to wash it out), and it would be a risk to put some other stuff (relaxer etc.) over it (has something to do with the henna being a base and the other stuff acidic or something like that), which is why some people end up with green/orange etc. colored hair.
SANA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 3:27pm
Hi I have been using henna for a long time! I don't agree to what some of you have said here. Henna is a natural hair dye..and always remember that pure henna never dyes ur hair black. If u have naturally black hair, it gives u a dark brown or auburn tint. It all depends on the duration of time u let it on.

Also if u have previously dyed ur hair, avoid henna since it can have a chemical reaction with the dye and make ur hair putrid green as mentioned above.

You cannot perm, relax or dye ur hair after applying henna. But remember that henna is NOT a permanent dye. It will fade in 3 months. U don't have to grow out of it...as someone told above!

Do ur research befor using henna as it can be a wonderful experience! And avoid hennas which claim to make ur hair black as they are not pure henna. Pure henna never makes ur hair black.

Some of the links to check on:

www.everydaymehndi.com
www.rainbowhenna.com
www.mountainroseherbs.com
www.reverendbunny.com

Everydaymehndi even has a discussion forum on it. Don't forget to check it out!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic