Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wife got gray hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MrKrinkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrKrinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wife got gray hair
    Posted: December 28 2003 at 2:50pm
She has dark brown hair and she tried to get blonde highlights. Well she got highlights and they are not blonde but are very gray. Is there anyway easily that she can mask the now gray hair? We were thinking maybe some of those shampoos that mask gray hair a little. She doesn't need it to look like it did before the coloring but just ANYTHING would be better than now. She really aged 10 years in the 2 hours she was gone. Anyone have any ideas? Or know any GOOD hair coloring folks in the Raleigh/Durham NC area?

thanks

Chris
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2003 at 5:16pm
Dear Chris,

I am sorry to hear of your wife's coloring issues. Obviously the colorist need to redo the highlights. Here is the deal with color problems that happen with a stylist/colorist. Call the salon immediately. I mean as soon as possible. Tell them the problem in a nice and friendly non-confrontational way. Ask them to please fix them.

It can take anywhere from 24-48 hours for color to set and so if your wife goes back to the salon quickly they can adjust the highlights to give her a different hue that is not gray and more along the line of shade that she had envisoned in the first place.

Don't worry about calling the stylist or colorist back. These kinds of things happen. Although the majority of stylists/colorists try very hard to go a great job, just like in life, stuff happens. The problem occurs when customers get upset and don't give the stylist a chance to work with them to make them happy.

If your wife is still unwilling to try the redo route, then you can experiment with color shampoos designed to balance the gray tones. Aveda Blue Malva or Mine Blue Monday shampoo was specifically designed to brighten gray and make it more white.

I suspect that maybe the problem is not the color of the highlights but how they play off your wife's natural hair color which is brown.

Which brings me back to the suggestion that you go back to the stylist/colorist and ask for an adjustment. It should be fairly easy for the stylist/colorist to adjust the color lighter or darker to be more complimentary but again, your wife would have to go back there or at least call.

If you want to fade the color, shampoo with hot water (be careful not to burn your scalp) and application of Prell shampoo. The Prell will strip the color and either make it lighter or remove it completely. The hot water pops open the cuticle and allows the color to be leeched out.

Also, Matrix Amplify shampoo will help to lighten hair color and highlights that are newly applied.

You can try those little tricks if you like. OR your wife can buy a temporary hair color in the same color as her brown and color her hair all one color. I would hate for her to do that if she spent money on highlights but it is an option.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
shelton@hairboutique.com
http://www.hairboutique.com

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Georgia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2003 at 12:41pm
Hi Karen,

I am a lurking hairdresser who stops by sometimes. I wanted to compliment you on your great answer to the guy whose wife went gray. You are right, most hairdressers want happy customers and would appreciate the opportunity to fix things. As yes, politeness goes a long way towards cooperation.

Keep up the good work. You inspire me. :-)

Georgia in Georgia
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2003 at 3:55pm
I agree with Georgia, Karen...well said.

I truly welcome and expect my client to commnicate with me in this way...If your not happy...please call me. Fixes or tweeking are part of being a great Stylist IMHO. I want their hair to look great, but most of all, I want them to LOVE their hair....and my work of course.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic