Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20 developer strong enough??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amymusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 developer strong enough??
    Posted: November 20 2004 at 3:05pm
Okay I changed my mind and decided to not listen to that hairdresser from yesterday and go for the gold.. well- blonde, cool blonde that is.

Today I went for a color consultation at another salon that seemed much more professional and alot friendlier. The colorist there seemed to know what she was talking about. I printed out that picture of Ashley Olsen and showed her. She said in order to achieve that color she could do either foils or the cap. At first I was going to opt for the foils but she told me the price and it was too steep so I asked for the cap. They can still do relatively thick highlights with the cap right?

She then told me that she would use either a 20 or 30 developer blue bleach and then tone it after with purple toner so that it would look like a light sandy blonde. I told her that I didn't want to damage it since it has color in it and then she said that she would use 20 volume developer instead.

The thing is, I have had my colored hair bleached at a salon aloooong time ago and I remember crying that it came out orange. She left it in for almost an hour and a half so it wasn't that it wasn't left in long enough. She told me after she was sorry she didn't realize she needed a stronger volume. So I'm guessing she used 20 volume.

My question is, is 20 volume strong enough to take my colored brown hair to a very light white blonde??? Or will it come out orangey?? My fear is that it just won't lift light enough. I'd rather take a chance with a stronger developer and get a nice color than get ugly orange and have to color dark again.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2004 at 8:09am
If I were doing it I'd use a 40 volume developer. You can't go lighter than white blonde, and that's what 40 is for. I've never had my hair done with a cap, how does it work? What I mean is, do they take the cap off before they wash out the dye? I would guess they leave the cap on for that, so you can see while the cap is still on whether they're orange or not, and if they are, don't let her take the cap off, make her re-do them right then and there while you have the same pieces of hair in it.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
amymusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2004 at 7:12pm
I'm just scared. I don't understand why she thinks it would come out so light with just a 20 developer. Especially since I have color in my hair.
amymusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2004 at 7:14pm
they rinse bleach off of the hair with the cap on and then immediately take the cap off and wash it with the rest of the hair. But after they wash the hair over the cap they cant really dry it and color it again because the water would get in the holes in the cap and get everywhere it would just be a mess. Plus I wouldn't see the hair while it was still in the cap.
Veronica F. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2004 at 9:41pm
to tell u the truth its not necessarily the STRENGTH of the developer (in other words, u'll have to use 30 vol.) but the bleach itself is the one that causes damge...But don;t go w/ 40 vol. u don't need it cuz 30 even works on my jet black hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic