Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will I ever learn?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
never learns in Texas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never learns in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will I ever learn?
    Posted: November 21 2004 at 10:39am
38 and still doing the "at home" coloring. I've been to great salons and can afford to go now, I just get bored, go to the drug store and end up with a mess! Light brown/dark Blonde hair - I put a "semi-perminent (yeah right!) auburn brown on. It is maroon at the front and neckline and still Lt.Brown in the middle. I've washed with baking soda, lift 30 w/ shampoo and even tried to put a brown temp color to at least get it to one color and nothing is working. I'm very tempted to bleach but all the horror stories scare me... I'm in Sales so I have to do something today. Any suggestions?
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 12:08am
Poor you. I can relate to your situation (and I'm 34). I'm not sure what to tell you. You can speed up the fading process with olive oil. Dampen your hair, work some virgin olive oil through it, wrap your hair in a plastic bag or warm, damp towel and let it sit for 30 minutes, then rinse. You can also try washing your hair with Liquid Tide (without bleach). Prell speeds up fading too. ColorFix won't work for you at this point because it only removes permanent colour. Do you live near a Sally's? Clairol has a product called The Uncolor System that removes semi-permanent colour. It's available at Sally's.

I know it can be SO tempting to put a permanent colour on top of the semi-permanent just to get rid of the colour. I made this mistake a while ago (when my hair turned apricot, then pumpking with semi-perms) and really regretted it. I wish I had just let the semi-permanent colours fade. I ended up bleaching my hair. I had to bleach a lot longer than I would have if I hadn't applied the permanent colour.

I've found one solution for covering horrid home hair colouring mistakes. I've gotten away with this look at work -- I put my hair in a tight bun and wear a silk scarf across the front of my hair (it ties at the neck in the back, so that hair is covered too). My hair colour is barely visible this way. It's actually a flattering, sophisticated look. I like how it looks with silver hoop earrings. I'm a freelance designer and college instructor so I can get away with bright colours. If you work in a more conservative environment, you could just wear a neutral-coloured scarf.

One thing I've learned from my various hair colour disasters is ALWAYS do a test strand. It takes a little extra time, but it's so worth it. Good luck.

P.S. Maybe you can call in sick tomorrow?

P.P.S. You mentioned a 30 vol. lift with shampoo -- I wouldn't recommend doing that again. It will probably just make your colour more red (or even orange) without actually removing the semi-permanent colour. Once the semi-permanent fades, you may find that you're left with more warmth in your natural colour because of the peroxide.

P.P.P.S. I know I'm rambling, but I just thought I'd mention that red shades (like auburn) tend to fade the fastest. I know that's cold comfort at this point because you want it gone NOW, but it should fade quite quickly.

Juliana
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic