Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1st blonde, now fading brown w/hightlights---> blonde?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1st blonde, now fading brown w/hightlights---> blonde?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PetaPixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetaPixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st blonde, now fading brown w/hightlights---> blonde?
    Posted: February 18 2005 at 2:13pm
HI!
I *had* very lovely platinum hair and then, under pressure from my advisor, added brown lowlights to make me look more "professional" for a talk I had to give at an american university.(early december) Now the brown has faded into an uneven dark blonde, and I just want my platinum back.

My hair is dry but not ravaged, meaning:

I probably wouldn't go out without frizz-ease or super-skinny in it, or some other sort of taming serum,
but I don't have to blow dry it or anything for it to look nice, natural drying is still okay.

I want to go platinum again, but I'm not sure if I should just go to a salon and have it bleached (the salons I spoke with said it would really dryout my hair, and that they wouldn't recommend it, but they would do it -- for a price )

I was thinking I could use color fix just to get the remaining brown out. Will color fix lighten it back white blonde -- or close?

has anyone done this before?
Should I just bleach,
or colorfix & tone
or colorfix and then bleach.

My mum is sending me the colorfix and it should be here on monday or tues. Please advise :)

thanks
Innamorata594 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2005 at 2:35pm
colorfix will not lighten your hair enough to bring it back to platinum...the only way to go would probably be rebleaching...
Sara
PetaPixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetaPixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 9:11am
Thanks for the reply Sara
But out of curiousity, why not use colorfix? I don't doubt you, I'm just a bit confused. Wouldn't the colorfix get rid of most of the remaining light brown dye?

I'm giving my hair 2 weeks more to seep in deep conditioners before I bleach I'm trying to be cautious.

[heart]

mel
Alyssa_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alyssa_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 11:36am
Colorfix may remove most of the color for you, can't really tell unless you strand test. It would definitely be better for your hair if you could do this instead of bleaching, because all the conditioning in the world isn't gonna prevent any further damage by more bleaching, unfortunately. Hair is already dead so it can't repair itself, despite the claims of certain conditioners and other hair products. They can make it feel better and look better but not repair it.

Edit:

P.S. You can colorfix more than once in order to get more color out. Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 2:49pm
colorfix will bring your hair to an orange state for you to recolor over..it will only lighten it a few shades, not enough to go platinum..it would be good if you just wanted a lighter brown or darker blonde, but not white platinum..also--if you go and read reviews about colorfix, most people claim it brought them orange, they recolored a blonde or light brown and a couple days later it went back to the dark color they started with.
Alyssa_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alyssa_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 3:58pm
The orange color when using colorfix comes from the underlying pigment in your hair, usually brought out from the peroxide in the permanent color that was used.. it just isn't seen at the time of coloring because color was deposited at the same time.

Advising someone who was already bleached to platinum before coloring to bleach again is irresponsible and dangerous, unless they are wanting a buzzcut. It would be much gentler on the hair to colorfix as much color out as possible, then do a shampoo cap to get out any remaining color. If she just straight bleaches her hair that was already bleached so light, it's very likely that her hair is all going to 'melt' or break off.

As for haircolor going back to dark a few days after using colorfix, that comes from not using it properly. Always follow directions to the T. :)
PetaPixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetaPixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 7:13pm
what is a shampoo cap?

It sounds funny

Eagerly awaiting the UPS man with my hair be blonde arsenol.

My mum has informed me that she is sending:
2 boxes color fix
infusium 23 leave in
generic feria leave in conditionor
thermasilk blowdry coditioning/protective spray
john frieda platinum moisturizing shampoo
artiec white/violet
Revlon's bleach kit (for my roots)

powdered donuts

and a DVD of legally blonde (ha!) to inspire me through the reprocess.

-- So I will do a colorfix strand test and see what happens & then update you all
PetaPixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetaPixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 7:23pm
Just passed a mirror- what a vulgar picture this hair is! I've been washing it rather aggressively ever other day w/moisturing (not clarifying) shampoo which has removed all yellow toner from the underlying platinum. The brown is fading into an almost hypnotic, foxie digression of dark blonde, to reddish brown orange, like this at the ends. Vulgar picture.
Luckally, I am researching in the middle of nowhere, and won't be seen by close friends for another few weeks.

Let us all hope that colorfix resuces me

Again: Shampoo cap?

and if I need a toner, which i am sure i will, what brands are there, and what is good for plats hair?
I want to avoid clairol and loreal -- as they both aggressively test on animals -- any recommendations?

thanks

mel
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 10:29pm
Strangely enough, I have a guide book to hair products, and in the appendix, it says Clairol and L'Oreal don't test on animals, which is wrong.

Anyway, there's Wella. Their company doesn't test (to my knowledge), except they were recently bought by the evil P&G empire. Wella has a good toner line. The only other kinds I can think of are veggie dyes (Special Effects, Manic Panic, etc). They have toners (a pale violet dye), but I'm not sure how well they work, as I've only used bright colors like red, purple, and blue before.

As for the bleach cap, here are instructions borrowed from the fabulous Supervixxen: " If you're only trying to go a little lighter, try a bleach cap.
That's bleach, 20 volume developer, and some shampoo...apply it to yer noggin, rub it in, and pop a shower cap on. Apply heat, and check at 10 minute intervals. I wouldn't leave it on longer than 30 minutes."
PetaPixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetaPixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2005 at 3:24am
Clairol claims that it doesn't test on animals for its herbal essences, and l'oreal changes its story with a tremendous amount of frequencey -- I think on the days they don't actually perform tests, they say they don't test on animals and then quietly retract the statement when testing recommences. Who knows

I'll look around and see what i can find.

thanks

melanie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2005 at 8:09am
alyssa: first of all--I didnt just go into a store and read a couple haircoloring product boxes and proclaim myself an expert...I work in an upscale salon. I have gone to school for this and have experience in the industry.do you? Frankly,what Im trying to say is that im not desperately in need of education from you. I understand WHY colorfix sometimes results in an orange color--but my point was just that it WILL turn orange..Im sure shes not as interested in the chemistry of it as she is the result of her using it.....Also, I was not "advising" her to bleach her hair as you seem to think..I understand and know the results of rebleaching very well, I have several clients with her same problem. I was simply telling her the only way she could get back to platinum would be to bleach...Yes, it will damage your hair and cause breakage. I wasnt trying to "convince" her to bleach it--just informing her of her limited options. Im sure if her hair was previously platinum that she has already been told by SOMEBODY(probably her stylist) what bleach can do to her hair.Shes probably not completely oblivious to the harsh effexts.She is not my client and so it is not my job to give her the PROS and CONS of bleach.....I was simply replying to her inquiry about colorfix.
Sara
PetaPixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetaPixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 7:52am
all colorfix and bleaches, and lovely conditioning agents are being held hostage for a week at German customs. The strand test and the blonding, sadly, will have to wait yet another week!

On the bright side, more and more of the light brown is fading out. this gives me hope that with the john freida blonde shampooing, and teh colorfix in week or so, most of the rest will fade out. IT already looks like I have mad heavy highlights. It's strange that it is fading in such a non uniform way.

patiently she sits knowing it will all be gone soon
she will be pigment free
PetaPixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetaPixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 4:36pm
the color fix came yesterday, and of course, all reasearch has stopped and hair has become the consuming passion!

I had to use the CF 5 times, but it removed most of the brown, lowering the color of the lowlights to a medium reddish blonde. I used the beyond the zone last night after 3 CF applications, then did two more this morning and a dose of Fudge dynamite thereafter for 10 minutes.

I then....

I then used the nutrisse garnier blonidng kit (my mom sent it to me -- I would never buy garnier due to their animal testing policies. But i am a broke grad student, it was here, and it would be wasteful to chuck it). It lightened after 30 minutes down to a goldeny light blond with a bit of root in the super gold zone. It said you could do it for up to 60 minutes, but I lost my nerve after half an hour and had to rinse.

Then: 1 hour of deep conditioning.

washed with ARTEC white violet and normal condition after that.

There is a little unevenness, but i am a presentable, soft and managable light blonde. The artec knocked out most of the gold. In a few weeks, I'll retone and touch up the uneven bits, but I'm pretty happy with the total result -- particularly since my hair is NOT fried.

Will continue to use leave in conditioners and deep condition every 3 days or so.

:) Just wanted to update and share a non-disaster
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic