Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tipping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MaryJM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaryJM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tipping
    Posted: July 01 2003 at 9:49pm
I am having extensions done in a few weeks. The cost is about $1000 and they will take about 4 hours to do. The owner of the salon is doing them. My friend said that you never tip the owner of the salon. Is this true? If not, how much would be an appropriate tip? Thank you.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 9:54pm
This rule was true back in the fifties and sixties because it was believed that the owner made a great deal more money than the stylists.

Today this is not so. My stylists make alot more than I do. My reward? The peace of knowing I had a hand in helping make them great stylist.

Yes, you do tip the owner, they could really use it!!

Sophie, chime in here since I am an owner.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
MaryJM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaryJM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 11:14am
Thank you for your response. How much is an appropriate tip for such a large service?
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 8:32pm
Considering, if they spent 4 hours on your hair, I would tip 30-50 dollars.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 3:06pm
First let me state that I do tip my stylist, because it "is done" and I don't want her to have hard feelings toward me if I didn't tip, however I'm curious. I'm not trying to start a debate or make anyone mad but, why should we tip a stylist owner or other. Many stylists including freelancers and owners can set their own prices, so why not set the price higher and skip the tipping. That way you get paid exactly how much you think is proper for the job. On the $1000.00 extension job that would merit a $30 - $50 tip, why not add that to the price and let it go at that?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic