Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'Dry Clean Only' ... Do you?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Dry Clean Only' ... Do you?
    Posted: June 08 2003 at 10:40pm
I don't, half the time.

Now, I would never dream of washing a suit or anything with lining, or anything with exposed interfacing... or anything velvet.

But like, I have dress pants from Express that I love, and they're polyester... and they say Dry Clean Only, but who are they kidding? I wash 'em all the time.

As for delicate, sheer stuff that says Dry Clean Only, I usually just toss it in a pillowcase to protect it from getting rubbed against other things that would damage it.

I think the clothing manufacturers are just lazy. They're not sure you can wash it, so instead of testing it, they just slap a Dry Clean Only tag on it!

Of course I have had some garments be ruined by my washing them when I shouldn't have. Either they bleed dye all over the other clothes or they wreck themselves in the water...
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 10:39am
Same here. With suits and clothing that I really am afraid to deal with myself, I take it to the cleaners. Other things like sweaters and stuff I think will be ok, I use Dryel or hand wash them.
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 1:36pm
I have navy blue pantsuit that's made 100% polyster but feels/looks like linen and I thought about washing it with Dryel. Is that good or bad idea? I had no time to take it to dryers because the upcoming interview is the day after tomorrow.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 1:54pm
The manufacturers put "dry clean only" because a lot of people throw delicates in with white socks and vigorously agitate them in the washing machine, which is not good!

I have all-silk bed sheets. The label says "dry clean only" but the company that manufactures them said if washed on a gentle cycle and thrown in the dryer for 10 minutes on low heat, they'll be fine. They've been on my bed for 3 or 4 years, and are in excellent shape!

Also, Americans tend to wash their clothes much more often than the rest of the world. There is no doubt that dry cleaning will help prolong the life of items.

However, my views are similar to yours. Of course, suit jackets, leather, and other specialty items I'd never dream of laundering myself.

The Dryel home dry cleaning is really more for "refreshing" than actual cleaning. I've used the dryel for down comforters and other things that I just wanted to plump up or freshen up.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 10:27pm
Yeah, I think you'd be fine with the Dryel. Especially if there aren't any stains.

Good luck with the interview!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 7:34am
We talk about this all the time at work, which makes sense since I work for the "world's leading appliance maker.":-) Laundry is our stronghold. We've currently got a product on the market that works as a "clothes vitalizer," meaning you hang dry-clean only garmets in it and it takes wrinkles/odors out. However it can't clean stains. We've got some washers that have ultra-gentle cycles...but even I won't toss my Banana Republic silk shirts in and walk away with ease of mind. However I have three or four pairs of pants from the Limited that do just fine in there.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic