Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who makes a good tank top?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who makes a good tank top?
    Posted: June 09 2003 at 10:24pm
I need more tank tops! Because summer is coming eventually, I think. Though all present weather might suggest otherwise.

Ahem, anyway... my old tank tops are worn out, and the arm pit area is stained from wearing Degree deodorant.

Who makes a good solid tank top, that looks stylish, but isn't too see through? I have my eye on the ones in the Victoria's Secret catalog. But it's hard to tell how thick the fabric is.

What's your favorite brand?
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 7:30am
I wish you could meet my former roommate. She--literally--had a compulsion to buy tank tops whenever we went shopping. I am not kidding: this girl could not stop herself from buying three, four, five at a time. At one point she had 46 in her closet and went into debt because of the extravagance. While that is a sad story, I bet she could offer you some good pointers!

I personally like the tanks with built-in bras. Do you live near a Kohl's? They've got some that actually have cups, not just the shelf bra that does nothing if you need a lot of support. I've also had luck in years past at the Limited. My favorite tank is one I bought in San Diego during my senior year of high school. It is shiny electric blue and I have yet to wear it....but I must say it looks darn cool in my closet :P
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 12:22am
For regular tank tops, I like the ones from Eddie Bauer. They're in all sorts of sizes (from petite to larger women) and the straps aren't too thin, they're thick enough to hide bra straps. They're also great for layering. They also have sleeveless tees.

For thin strappy tanks, JCrew makes ones in a sweater fabric that I really like. Easy to wear with a strapless bra. The halter tops in the same fabric type are good too.

I like to find tanks that cover at least half my armpit, then I don't have the top sides of my body/chest (where it conects to the arms) sticking out. Anyone have this issue too (or comments)?
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 5:55am
Hi all,

So SG, besides Degree, have you found an underarm product that works well that doesn't stain? I used to work with a woman who always had stains on all of her clothes. I mean ALL of them. She had this one white blouse that had stains on top of stains and once she told me that she had tried every underarm product with no luck.

I usually don't have this problem but mainly because I live in black. LOL. Do sprays work better and stain less or is there a good way to find a good product that doesn't destroy clothes?

Sorry to go off topic but once you mentioned the Degree my mind started to spin. :-)

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 9:06am
Hey. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Looks like I need to go shopping this weekend.

As for the deodorant... Degree and Secret are absolutely the WORST I have found! They'll yellow your clothes on the first day!

Lady Mitchum is good for not yellowing. I really liked their unscented roll-on, but sadly, they stopped making it. Or at least I can't find it anymore. I don't recommend their Powder Fresh scent! I hate smelling like baby powder, and the scent is really strong. The Shower Fresh seems less noticeable.

I just started using a brand I found at GNC. I think it's called Naturally Fresh and has no aluminums. (Cuz I read in another thread that it won't discolor your armpits, which mine definitely are, a little.)
It's a roll-on, but it's supposed to have similar ingredients to those mineral salt-type balls.
The package says it won't stain your clothes, but I just started using it Monday, so I can't really testify to that yet. Seems to control odor well though! I'm always late and end up making a sprint for about a mile from my house to the train station most mornings, and I don't get all smelly!
It's not scented, either. So I'm liking it so far!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 1:38pm
Hi SG,

Thank you so much for your input. I have always used Ban solid in the unscented and it works pretty well w/out stains but sometimes I do worry about the aluminum component that you mention. I am definitely going to check out the GNC version and also see if Tom's products are good. I don't know about the stain aspect. However, when you are spending a lot of money on a cool new shirt or dress, the last thing you want is an instant stain. :-) So I consider this a key fashion issue. LOL.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Just Some Boy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Some Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 2:04am
Ugh! tank tops are beneath contempt! Ok, some people can look good in them, but I've only ever met 3 people in my ENTIRE EXISTANCE who do.
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Just Some Boy Just Some Boy wrote:

Ugh! tank tops are beneath contempt! Ok, some people can look good in them, but I've only ever met 3 people in my ENTIRE EXISTANCE who do.

why do you say that?
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 2:39pm
Because he hasn't met us yet! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 8:14pm
That's right Lyris!!!-(tee hee)-
tina

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 8:56pm
ROTFL! You're right!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2003 at 3:55pm
I just bought a Ralph Lauren (Polo?) tank top on sale at Burdine's and I love it! Nice thick material, washed well, looks great (not too clingy but not baggy, good length). I am going back for more in different colors.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2003 at 7:56pm
Ooooh. Sounds good. Burdine's... I think that is May Company.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2003 at 9:41am
It may be May Company. It is part of the Federated Department stores. I know they have Rich's in Georgia and Macy's. May Company was in California when I was there but I don't know where all it is now.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2003 at 11:47am
are you looking for name brand tank tops? are any tank tops that are nice? i bought some really cute tank tops at mervyns. i don't know if where you live the have mervyns. i also like for me anyway, if i'm just casual or around the house the exercise tanks from target. they look cute with shorts, carpis or jeans. they give good support too.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2003 at 1:39am
Hi all,

I ONLY wear tanks with jackets because I feel naked w/out. However, my almost 19 year old niece Brigid just got the absolute cutest white tank from Lucky Jeans. It is white with a scooped front and the Chinese character for Lucky in black on the rear side of the tank. Soooooooo cute and pretty reasonable.

Best wishes,
Karen
whitney_brett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2003 at 2:01pm
i've never ever in my whole life found a tank top that fit me well. I'm a D cup, so i need something with support but not one that hugs my stomach (got a couple pounds i need to lose ) The closest I came was shelf bra ones at the Gap, maybe they'll work for you SG? They worked for me at the time I got them but I've gained a couple pounds since then and now they're too snug. I did go to Victoria's Secret yesterday and although the tanks did seem thin, they didn't seem too snug so if that's what you're looking for maybe you should give it a try!

If anyone knows strappy tanks for D cups (and 135 lb. women) I'd love to know!
"Honey, I've always said if your genitals are on the outside, you're hiding something on the inside!" ~ Karen Walker ...~*Whitney*~...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic