Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Critique this dress!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Critique this dress!
    Posted: July 09 2003 at 11:37am
http://www.daddyos.com/retro/pnkchry.html

What do you think? It is from a great swing dance apparel site I buy my Lindy hop wear from.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 12:38pm
Oooh what a great website! I wish I could Lindy Hop. *pout* Wait... Lyris, you're tall aren't you? How do you Lindy? I always found it so awkward, my being the same height or taller than the boys.

The all over cherry print of that dress is kind of annoying to me. That was all over the mall last year. I prefer this dress:
http://www.daddyos.com/retro/rosett.html
Unfortunately, it looks kind of Goth... The roses are too dark red, like blood.

I'm going to remember this website! I always admire the Vintage Vogue patterns at the fabric store, but not sure I have the skill to make 'em turn out right. Much less hassle to just buy!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 1:45pm
Oooh I didn't even see that dress! It is lovely, as is this one: http://www.daddyos.com/retro/pd.html . I shy away from taffeta though for swing because the rustling irks me. My favorite material is still good ol' rayon, just like the vintage 40s wear.

Yes, I am somewhat tallish (5'7) and that has proved a hinderance to both my dancing and skating. Height does make everything--from a simple sit lift to a backflip--more difficult because you need to get higher off the ground to clear your legs of the floor. Fortunately my partner (boyfriend Doug) is six feet tall and is strong enough to lift me above his head. I wear flats (Bleyers professional swing shoes....as if I'm really THAT good) and jump high. You do what you can!

If you find a partner that loves Lindy and is willing to improvise, there's no reason you can't pursue it. Most big-city clubs forbid aerials except during jams anyway, so your height isn't usually a factor if that's where you're dancing.

If you like swingwear, the best site on the Net is www.dancestore.com. They are way more affordable than Daddy-o's (although their service is always good), shipping is cheap AND they carry Bleyers! Seriously, check out their site. (make sure to watch the swing video clips...we steal lots of tricks from them!) I only wish they carried dresses. All but one of mine are vintage and starting to really fall apart so I've resorted to separates. I have some really cute pictures of Doug and I in various swing poses...if I can find them I'll post away :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 3:47pm
i like all the dresses. they are very pretty.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 5:13pm
I love them, especially the black one SG pointed out. I spent two and a half hours at Macy's one day sale today, and bought a lot of things but not the thing I origninally went there for: a fancy black dress for a wedding that's coming up at the end of the month. I may order that dress that SG pointed out--if the price isn't too crazy. I haven't looked at the prices yet!
[/url]

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 7:07pm
Holy Cherry Festival, Lyris....
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 10:05pm
He he Sophie!!

I love them all esp. the cherries!!!

This is more my speed.

www.daddyos.com/retro/pnkkty.html
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 1:08am
I love the dresses Lyris!
That was a great era!
tina
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 7:17am
Hahaha Sophie. Speaking of which, I didn't make it there last weekend. The weather (for once) cooperated so we spent all our time skiing and swimming. No complaints there. Hope your vacation was swell!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic