Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gorgeous dress I bought on ebay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gorgeous dress I bought on ebay
    Posted: July 11 2003 at 7:49am
I just bought this gorgeous dress--I am in love! It hasn't arrived yet. I am praying that the hip is ok, it's only an inch or two bigger than my own hip measurement. The dress is one size bigger than I usually wear, so I am hoping this will be ok (and that the bust/waist won't be too big).

It's for a wedding. I think it's so feminine and classy. And that it will enhance my curviness.

What do you'all think?

And check out this bargain price! $32 for 100% silk organza, new with tags, never worn! I'm telling you, ebay is like hidden treasure found!

Elissa
[/url]

SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 8:53am
Elissa! That's gorgeous!
I've browsed at dresses at eBay before, but never bought. It seems to be like 90% of what I find at eBay is size small.
I know, I know... need to make my size one of the search criteria. Good luck with the dress! I hope it fits! You could always have it taken in some.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 8:57am
Thanks! But that would be "let out" not taken in. My hip measurement is about 40 or 41, give or take a bit (it's hard to take one's own measurements). The dress measurement says hip 42, but I'm assuming that the seller did the measuring, I am hoping she was off and it's actually a teeny bit bigger.

It's so hard for me with my 36-28-40 measurements. I'm a 10 (sometimes 8) on top but 12 or sometimes even 14 in the hip. And at 5'2 and a half, a petite which is sometimes cut smaller in the bottom. It's a pain but it sure beats the hell out of being a size 18 top 20 bottom which I was only one year ago.

Elissa
[/url]

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 9:20am
Holy Organza Elissa! You lucked out big time girl. What is the brand, and was the purse included? I hope it fits because it's drop dead awesome.

eBay is so addictive, isn't it? I have had such great luck with clothes and shoes it's really almost criminal. The one pair that didn't fit were black and white saddle shoe Doc Martens. I paid $25, they were too small, so I sold them. They closed at $91! Good grief! My favorite eBay purchase is still the first one I ever made more than two years ago. It's a deep blue corduroy peacoat, a nice lightweight jacket with three seasons potential. It was about $7 if I remember. But even that does not compare with your dress!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 9:30am
Thanks Lyris...it's Donna Ricco and yes the purse is included. The purse has the same embroidery on the front of it as the dress, but it's turned around in the picture. God I hope it fits my hips. If not I may have to go on a boot camp regimen until the wedding (7/26). I have a back up dress, but I want to wear THIS one!

Hoping to find some pink strappy dress sandles to go with it.

I'll let you know if it fits when I get it, maybe I'll take a self photo in it too.!

I am SO addicted to ebay. I just bought two hats last night. I can't stop!!!!! Somebody take my credit card away!!!

Elissa
[/url]

GadgetMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 10:19am
I'm an ebay addict too, but I try to defray the cost of my purchases by selling things as well.
That's a really good find. I feel your pain Elissa about being multiple sizes. In dress sizes, I'm an 8 or 10 on the top half of my body and a 2 or 4 for the rest of it. I had to have my prom dress custom made, although I'm very glad I did.
My best ebay find was a pure silk aquamarine slip dress from the store Cache that was completely covered in sequins. It only cost my $25.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 10:34am
Quote In dress sizes, I'm an 8 or 10 on the top half of my body and a 2 or 4 for the rest of it.

Frustrating, I'm sure, but it could be the other way around!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 10:58am
elissa it's a beautiful dress! i'm the oppsite. i need things to be taken in or hem. sometimes it can be a such a pain!
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 11:51am
oh wow. that's such a pretty dress.. even the matching purse! you are so lucky.

I noticed the brand from the tag.. and at department stores, it could well be over two times what you paid.

yeah, my problem is always hemming the skirt, and folding/altering straps of dresses because I'm petite. oh well, gotta do what's possible for the best fit...
Maura View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 2:00pm
Elissa,
that is a beautiful dress. I hope it fits. I love ebay sooo much, getting a bargain always makes my day. you mentioned you wanted pink sandals, I saw the most gorgeous pair at anne taylor the other day. Here is the link for them: http://www.anntaylor.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&RestartFlow=t&Section_Id=236&Product_Id=646194
-Maura
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 6:16pm
Thank you all.

Maura, the shoes are lovely and perfect. I will go look! Thanks!

Elissa
[/url]

lols View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2003 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Elissa Elissa wrote:

I just bought this gorgeous dress--I am in love! It hasn't arrived yet.

if it was bought on ebay, just hope you do receive it, lol. there are so many rip offs and shill rings on ebay. ebay just looks the other way when you get ripped off and doesn't respond to your emails, as long as they are getting thier money though. ebay sucks.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 2:19am
That's never happened to me. I always check out a seller's feedback very carefully before bidding. And I only pay by credit card, so if I were to be defrauded I would have recourse through that avenue.

I'm sorry to hear you were ripped off.

Elissa
[/url]

uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 7:11am
I think that dress will really enhance your prettiness, Elissa.
That pale pink will off-set your dark hair and feminine features beautifully.

Very nice .
Uzi

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 9:40pm
Thank you so much.

Hopefully the darned thing will arrive tomorrow.

Elissa
[/url]

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 7:38am
Quote if it was bought on ebay, just hope you do receive it, lol. there are so many rip offs and shill rings on ebay. ebay just looks the other way when you get ripped off and doesn't respond to your emails, as long as they are getting thier money though. ebay sucks.

Sounds like someone's just a *touch* bitter! Yes, you do have to use common sense with eBay: Always check feedback ratings, be prompt with communication, etc. I do think eBay needs to do more to protect their customers, but the great finds and great money to make through selling outweigh that risk for me. I've bought more than 50 items over the past two years and received every single one as described. You just have to use discretionary tactics.

Elissa, let us know how it fits!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 3:06pm
The dress arrived. It is the teeniest tad snug on the hips (even with support hose). If the wedding was tomorrow I could get away with it, if I didn't make any sudden moves. But the bodice really needs to be taken in under the arms, it's too big and looks silly. I will take it to the tailor tomorrow.

I noticed the side seams look like they might be able to be let out a half inch or so on each side to help the hip problem. That would make a difference (and if I am strict and can take off 2-3 lbs in two weeks, that would help but that is a lot to lose and I'd rather just have it altered.)

So it could be worse with the dress. It's very lovely, very feminine, and the matching silk pouch/purse is cute. The embroidery on the dress is lovely, I will have to be careful not to get it pulled.

Even if the alterations cost $30 or $40 it's still worth it. I just got a manicure/pedicure to match the dress. I will post pictures after this wedding to show you guys. Thanks for all of the support!

Elissa

[/url]

SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 11:45pm
Yeah!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 4:59pm
I'm recently back from the tailor having the dress fitted. She is taking it in some from the straps and under the arms, but even better, she will be able to let out some material at the hips. YAY!

No more about the dress until I pick it up next week, I promise!

Elissa
[/url]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic