Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Calista Flockheart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calista Flockheart
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

Hey, I know we've been bashing on Calista's hair pretty regularly, but I watched Ally McBeal this week, and I liked her look.

Does everyone else still think she should cut it?

Ally (heh!)

Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

No way. Calista should keep it long and thick, if possible.

Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

Now that she has begun washing her hair on a the same day they film her show I think it's looking pretty good. However, much more lenght will overwhelm her small features. Hey Gord, do you like any stars with "less than" long hair?

anonymous View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anonymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

How come Gord doesn't get chastised by JF when he only replies about women and long hair? Isn't long hair just as much a fetish for some, as short hair is for some? Poor guys like bret and some others get wrote up for only replying about short hair, but I have yet to see gord get written up for only wanting long hair. Why is his fetish so much better than the short hair fetish? Just curious.

Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:29am

I think the key word here is "fetish." Gord's preference does not constitute one.

The fetishists JerkyFlea was admonishing don't simply admire short hair; they get off on seeing a woman with long hair chop it all off. They use dramatic and distinctive words, such as "clippered," "crop," and "shorn," to refer to the practice, and not to the look itself. I would call this perversion a type of sadomasochism. It smacks of violence toward women.

Also, although Gord seems to like longer hair on most women, he is not insisting that all women should wear the same floor-length, never-adultered-by-scissors style.

Of course, JF can (and assuredly will) speak for his grandiloquent self.

Ally

anonymous View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anonymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:29am

Gord's preference does constitute a fetish. He is as addamant about long hair as some are about short hair. Scan through the past messages and see for yourself.

Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:29am

> Gord's preference does constitute a fetish. He is as
> addamant about long hair as some are about short hair.
> Scan through the past messages and see for yourself.

Anonymous,

I have, and I don't see it.

I think the purpose of this board (and I may be mistaken) is for the participants to discuss whether or not they like celebrities' hairstyles, that they now have or used to have. So in the context of this board, I think it's fair for people to say things like "I [like dislike] the [long short] hair of celebrities A, B and C," and I see this general type of discussion from most participants, including Gord.

You really don't think Bret is as Ally described him? (I agree with your assessment, Ally). If you still have doubts, just read Bret's posting of November 5, regarding Sarah Michelle Geller. He literally prays for Ms. Geller to "fall victim to ... the very man responsible for butchering off Liv Tyler's tresses."

'nuff said.

Dave

David M Squires
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:29am

I have never made my passion (not necessarily fetish) for long hair a secret; maybe that's why. Callista Flockhart doesn't have anywhere near long hair. I'm sure JF doesn't want a battle royale going on here, especially since one of the participants is anonymous.

anonymous View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anonymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:29am

I wish to make it clear that I respect Gord's fetish. True, that he has not made it a secret. Neither has Bret or Paul made it a secret that they have a short hair fetish. A while back, they were criticized for always replying that "insert celebrity here" should go short. Whereas Gord and Dave alot of times always argue otherwise. I'm simply asking why the short hair guys got criticized for always being pro-short, and the long hair guys didn't. They are 99.9% always pro-long. What gives? I think that most will agree that long hair fetishes are just as much a fetish as a short hair fetish?

Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:29am

What Is a Fetish?

An Essay by Ally

Strictly speaking, a fetish is a stimulus that the fetishist /requires/ in order to become aroused. Colloquially, we use it to mean "sexual preoccupation." But even when this looser definition is applied, "fetish" should still not be confused with "preference" or "turn-on."

I like men with broad shoulders. I do not have a "shoulder fetish." I prefer hair that is at least chin-length on most women. I do not have a "chin-length hair fetish." I like tall, powerful state troopers in mirrored sunglasses....you get the picture.

A telltale sign of a fetishist is that he/she objectifies the subject, at least for purposes of sexual arousal. The focus is not on the person, but on what she is wearing or what is being done to her. There is almost always a distinctive vocabulary that underground fetish groups have coined. You need only log in to any alt.sex newsgroup to see what I mean. I will consider the delicate sensibilities of some members and not post examples.

Is there anything wrong with being a fetishist? Fundamentally, no. Most people have certain "triggers" that result from a childhood experience. In some cases we can't even remember it. But some fetishes, because they do involve victimization, are best reserved for private fantasy and other, more appropriate message boards.

Let's say, for example, that I had a leather fetish. Would it be right for me to log on to a fashion site and repeatedly post messages about how I'd like to see Brendan Fraser's gorgeous, marmoreal physique encased in shiny black leather, laced so tightly at the sides that he could hardly breathe? And then make similar disruptive posts about every other man who's mentioned? Leaves a bad taste in your mouth, doesn't it, anonymous? You can't see how that distinguishes me from someone who digs motorcycle jackets or suede shoes?

Bret is not discussing ways that Sarah Michelle Gellar and Pamela Lee could look more beautiful. He is talking about something that he wants to /befall/ them. He uses the word "victim." The severe haircut is, for him, a sexual rise, and he is expressing a /fantasy/ that it will befall an unwilling subject. How is this different from rape?

Ally

MplsHairGuy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MplsHairGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:29am

I agree that Calista's hair looks pretty good this season. She's adding a bit of wave that helps a lot.

I read a celebrity thing on her recently and she said that she wanted to cut her hair into a short crop, similar to what Mia Farrow wears ocassionally, but the stylist on Ally McBeal talked her out of cutting it short. I think she'd look pretty good with either style.

JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:29am

...it often seems like no one ever reads. My anonymous critic writes...

> How come Gord doesn't get chastised by JF when he only
> replies about women and long hair? Isn't long hair
> just as much a fetish for some, as short hair is for
> some? Poor guys like bret and some others get wrote up
> for only replying about short hair, but I have yet to
> see gord get written up for only wanting long hair.
> Why is his fetish so much better than the short hair
> fetish? Just curious.

Check out the P.S. in my post http://www.hairboutique.com/chstbg.pl?read=629">Opinion vs. Fetish. Heck, I'll save you the time...

P.S. Oh, and before you think I've forgotten about you long-hair fetishers, extreme adverse reactions to any suggestion (with the bvious exception of those listed above) that a long haired star should cut her hair to a different style is also a giveaway. KEEP IN MIND, what I mean here is not a commentary base on the fact that the celeb looks good with her long hair as it is, but a response couched in the belief that all women best with long hair. THAT is what I mean is as bad as saying all women look best with super short hair.

By the way, I reported on Calista wanting to go short about 8 months ago. If I ever get a chance to reformat the rest of the old columns you can see it. Oh, well.

Later,
JF

Related Link:

http://www.hairboutique.com/jerkyflea/jerkyflea.htm" target=_blank>JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray

3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic