Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top Five Worst Haircut Disasters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
miss brenda View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2004 at 8:00pm
Interesting thread.
Locks of Love is mostly a money-making business, a scam that sells most of the hair, only some goes to children. But it must be a legal scam otherwise it would have been shut down.

As far as the debate whether men like women with long hair or short hair, what I noticed was that where I grew up in a small town most of the men seemed to like long hair on women, but when I moved to a large metro area, the men in the big cities seemed to like women with short hair better. I got just as much attention from men after I got my hair cut short than I did when it was long when I was in the city.
You can see this with the women singers in music groups. Many of the country music women have long hair, (at least the younger ones), but the urban rock or alternative rock women usually have medium or short lengths of hair, some of those women have really short hairstyles.
Short hair on women is considered "urban chic". Long hair on women is "countrified". There are many exceptions to this I'm sure.

I don't think there is much prejudice against long haired men or women if they wear their hair back and out of their face and if their long hair is neat and clean. Some business jobs might not allow men to have long hair but many jobs of all sorts do allow men to have long hair as well.
With women I don't think it really matters that much. I think women can wear our hair whatever length we like at most jobs!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2004 at 12:40pm
Rod,

I do not have URLs for the two sources I gave. I have the particular magazine page (original), and a scan of the newspaper article. Would you like me to scan the magazine article and send you it and the newspaper article jpg files?

True, these particular sources are 3-5 years old now. I have collected info from additional sources, and indications are that receipts of hair donations has increased steadily over the years.
Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

We start out with your assertion that LoL doesn't make many wigs and what I did was challenge that assertion.

I made no such claim.

You don't support it, but instead challenge me to refute you.

I challenge you to demonstrate that they incorporate a significantly large percentage of the hair donations they receive within the hairpieces that they have fabricated. You had said "Charities only need to give away 5% of their donations to be considered a charity." Well, I don't believe that (ponytails used in wigs made) / (hair donations received) is even 5%.

You seem to have mistaken me for a Locks of Love employee...

Not at all.

I looked at the LoL website yesterday (much changed since my last visit). I didn't notice any reference to any relevant data.

Name me one charity that publicizes their need -- or should I say lack thereof? Giving bone marrow is a painful procedure, unlike getting a haircut. Do you know what percentage of bone marrow is usable? Do you know what percentage of the money donated to fight Parkinson's is actually spent on research? How about what percentage of the money donated to public television actually goes to purchase programming? And what percentage of that goes to fat salaries of the producers?

I donate to my alma mater, and they spend only a small percentage of the endowment. They never told me that, but I've read articles on how universities spend their endowments and how they invest it. I still donate.

Do you expect all of these organizations to run big ad campaigns or issue press releases with this info? If a charity starts talking about what they don't do, they'll go under. And if you're going to scrutinize a charity to the extent that you demand they should publicize this, then you should demand it of all of them.

Hallelujah. Thank you for saying that. I think that our society needs more disclosure of need-to-know information like this. Charities solicit. But an extremely facet of the donation question is neediness -- how badly does the charitiable org need help? From what I know, lol has not declined any legitimate request. Nobody is "going away hungry (for a wig)."

... they are still providing something that sick children need. And that's good work. I don't see how you could think that's a bad thing.

I haven't said that their giving of these wigs is a bad thing...

Once again, I think your issue is with misinformed men and women who don't research a charity and with those who pressure them to cut their hair, not the charity itself.

My concern is with both. Full disclosure of relevant info is extremely relevant to knowing whether or not a charitable organization is in need of a particular resource. Possession of such knowledge rightfully shapes the donation decision.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2004 at 3:07pm
Sorry, I just had to add Amy Grant, Willa Ford and Natalie Imbruglia to the infamous list. (lol)
BTW, my speculation that some LoL donations fall into the hands of fetishists comes from the fact that they will not divulge to whom they sell their hair. Naturally, their secretive practices leads me to suspect the worst. Best, Bob
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 3:36pm
I can't believe new agencies are still allowed to post this photo. I think it's time Celine hired a lawyer to get this nightmare pulled from circulation.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/040910/photos_en_afp/040910181839_gwa2o26s_photo0&e=10&ncid=707
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 12:26am
Maybe she's just hoping to get the lead in the "Victor/Victoria" revival :-) .

Originally posted by Gord Gord wrote:

I can't believe new agencies are still allowed to post this photo. I think it's time Celine hired a lawyer to get this nightmare pulled from circulation.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/040910/photos_en_afp/040910181839_gwa2o26s_photo0&e=10&ncid=707

More awesome than a manatee!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic